Chapala.com Webboard

Fiber optics

vetteforron

Tom,  

If you have signed up then go ahead and send a copy of your official ID, proof of address, and reconfirmation of the plan you want to:  info@mail.tvrey.com.mx.    They will return personalized contracts to you and Bancomer payment voucher.  Once you pay, the hard copies will need to get to Ilox.  For convenience, we've established a dropsite where you can leave them:

Effective today. 

Prepaid signups can leave their signed hard copy contracts at "Ishop and Mail" in San Antonio (close to Super Lake).  for recollection and forwarding to Ilox in GDL.  These should contain:

1)  Signed Contract and Guaranty agreement
2)  Copy of Legal ID and proof of domicile
3)  Copy of Bancomer payment voucher

These should be in an envelope addressed to:

Ilox Telecom
Attn:  Lic Jessica Avila
Av. Lázaro Cárdenas No. 3675
Col.  Chapalita 
C.P.  45040 Zapopan, Jal.

Please help get the word out!  

Tom

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, tkessler said:

Prepaid signups can leave their signed hard copy contracts at "Ishop and Mail" in San Antonio (close to Super Lake).  for recollection and forwarding to Ilox in GDL.  These should contain:

1)  Signed Contract and Guaranty agreement
2)  Copy of Legal ID and proof of domicile
3)  Copy of Bancomer payment voucher

These should be in an envelope addressed to:

Ilox Telecom
Attn:  Lic Jessica Avila
Av. Lázaro Cárdenas No. 3675
Col.  Chapalita 
C.P.  45040 Zapopan, Jal.

Please help get the word out!  

Tom

Why another copy of ID and residence? That was sent with the original application? Do they value a photocopy more than a scanned and emailed copy?

SunFan

4 hours ago, tkessler said:

What they really need is the signed hard copies of the contract and deposit agreement.  If you don't include copies of your ID and proof of domicile they'll print them off from your email to complete the file...

Still waiting for a contract before I can pay. 

Not sure if they received my emails as the info address keeps generating error  messages.

Delivery incomplete

There was a temporary problem while delivering your message to info@tvrey.com.mx. Gmail will retry for 47 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

LEARN MORE

It does not inspire confidence if what is basically a network company can not get its internal systems to function.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All, signups for the Ilox Fiber Optic Internet project are going  well.  Here is a link to updated instructions:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HyMYOrsTv7vPYnTISRI3w8NrVcu6fL22P92dwyxG8UY/edit

Please consider signing up! 

Tom

Surprised at no mention of the following from Ilox:

Muy buen dia..

Estimado habitante de la zona Ajijic, Jocotepec, Chapala, es un gusto para Ilox Telecomunicaciones saludarle y a su vez aprovechar esta oportunidad para notificarles que pueden acudir a AJIJIC REAL ESTATE  ubicados en Calle Morelos no. 4 Colonia Centro en Ajijic..  con la Srita. Nelly..

Aqui les apoyaran con sus dudas y pueden llevar ahi sus documentos, ellos nos los escanearan y nos los enviaran a nosotros para que se les elabore su contrato: Comprobante de domicilio e Identificación vigente.

AJIJIC REAL ESTATE esta en COORDINACIÓN CON ILOX para apoyar y el proceso sea mas sencillo para todos ustedes que están interesados en que esta región cuente con un servicio de altas velocidades mediante fibra óptica para servicio de INTERNET principalmente, Telefonía y TV..

Favor de acudir con sus documentos para iniciar con su proceso...

English version, this was from their email, not my translation:

Good day ...

Dear inhabitant of the area Ajijic, Jocotepec, Chapala, it is a pleasure for Ilox Telecommunications to greet you and at the same time take this opportunity to notify you that you can go to AJIJIC REAL ESTATE wich is located in Morelos Street #4, Centro, Ajijic, Jalisco ... with Miss. Nelly ...

Here they will support you with your doubts and you can carry out your documents(Proof of residency and current ID), they scanned and sent to us to have your contract drawn up.

AJIJIC REAL ESTATE is in COORDINATION WITH ILOX to support you and the simplify the process for all of you interested in having high speed optical fiber INTERNET service, Telephony and TV.

Please come with your documents to start your process ...

Sorry, optimists, I can't help pointing out the following:  This company, instead of going to the normal lenders, like banks, is asking hundreds of people to give them a no-interest loan so they can proceed. In their literature they suggest that it will expedite matters if they sign up for the triple 250 plan with an up front payment for the first year of $14,748 pesos, which would be $1229 per month and only at the end of the year they could change to a less expensive plan.  The other plans aren't cheap, either.

Why don't they borrow money from a bank or other normal money-lender?  Alternatively, why don't they offer interest to the potential customers for loaning them this money?

I'd like to have faster service, too, but I'll put up with what I have under the circumstances.

51 minutes ago, gringal said:

Sorry, optimists, I can't help pointing out the following:  This company, instead of going to the normal lenders, like banks, is asking hundreds of people to give them a no-interest loan so they can proceed. In their literature they suggest that it will expedite matters if they sign up for the triple 250 plan with an up front payment for the first year of $14,748 pesos, which would be $1229 per month and only at the end of the year they could change to a less expensive plan.  The other plans aren't cheap, either.

Why don't they borrow money from a bank or other normal money-lender?  Alternatively, why don't they offer interest to the potential customers for loaning them this money?

I'd like to have faster service, too, but I'll put up with what I have under the circumstances.

Exactly, Gringal.

For a company that claims to have as good a reputation as they say they do, and has been in business for as long as they say they have been... they should have gobs of working capital at their disposal.

That, and their lack of marketing - and market research of the area's demographics - makes me take a "wait and see" position.

I wish you all the best of luck in this working out.

9 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

The availability of fiber communications will accelerate the gentrification of Ajijic by an order of magnitude.

I'd say the gentrification of the entire area.

When people moved here, they had the opportunity to check out such things as internet speed.  If they really needed it to do business, they could have had their needs filled by moving to Guadalajara.  Enough said?

Clearly everyone can decide to sign up and pay - or not. And we can all agree with and understand how ILOX has chosen to structure this - or not.

As I understand it ILOX is primarily interested in and focused on large commercial connections - not so much on individual retail clients. This seems to be their business plan as mentioned in a number of sources. They are willing to consider deviating from their general approach by considering providing direct retail connections to the relatively small lakeside market. As has been said they are a very large organization with lots of resources so we are small potatoes to them. Like any other organization they have to make decisions about how to direct those resources - including bank loans and lines of credit.

In order for them to deviate from their preferred market for a relatively small amount of business they have come up with what I think is a pretty creative way to make that attractive to them and their investors/shareholders. In my opinion they are thinking "outside the box" and in some ways doing us a favor. I definitely understand that others don't see it that way. I for one appreciate what they are doing.

Since the opportunity to have dramatically better internet speed is important to me I am willing to accept their offer and pay in advance. In doing so I am actually making this available to others who decide to wait. I am subsidizing those of you who definitely want the service but don't want to do it the way ILOX is willing to do it. I'm fine with that.

I agree with Gringal that most of us understood what internet services were available when we made the decision to move here. However, as new opportunities have become available many of us have taken advantage of those new options. I respectfully disagree that just because we were okay with what was available when we moved here we shouldn't be thrilled when something significantly better comes along. Some of us were here when dial-up was the primary option but I sure was happy when other options became available. The ILOX deal is a major upgrade in speed - and hopefully reliability. Things change. That's a good thing - at least in my opinion.

This is really not much different than a GoFundMe/KickStarter campaign. I have signed up and paid but completely understand that others see it differently. I am really looking forward to taking my ILOX connection out for a spin when it becomes available. 

I signed up originally but live in a compound...As such I would need to get the line to the house from the front gate... That is an additional expense and that coupled with the up front-loading of service makes me take a wait and see approach... TelMex, while not my favorite does provide 5-6mbs download on a consistent basis which serves my need... Fiber would be nice but only if it is competitive... Just my dos pesos...

I think pretty much everything that can be said has been said - but here I am again.

I was talking with someone in the past few days - an actual person to person conversation - who knew that was even possible anymore?

The topic of "why didn't ILOX do market research" came up. After some discussion we both came to the conclusion that ILOX actually did the most effective job of market research possible. They asked how many people would be willing to pay in advance - and then strangely enough asked people to actually do just that. 100% accurate feedback rather than opinions or "maybes". Again, no one has to agree as to what constitutes "market research" but I can't imagine a more effective approach. They determined exactly what people would or would not do rather than what they might do - or what they said they would probably do.

We also discussed the "interest free loan" topic. I guess that as a matter if principle some folks will be philosophically opposed to entering into any agreement that they see as that type of arrangement.  I'm not worried about that but I guess I can sort of understand that view as a matter of principle. But here is the math - 

Let's say that for round numbers we send them $15,000 pesos, it takes a year before we get "return on investment" for that money, and we "could" have earned 10% on that money during that time. I think 10% is perhaps optimistic and  $15,000 is a bit above the highest amount but let's go with that. So for a year that $1,500 pesos that we are "losing" breaks down to about $4.11 pesos a day (1500 / 365) . Even if I was concerned about the "right or wrong" principle of this "interest free loan", $4 pesos a day doesn't seem too material.

Warning - tacky comment to follow. Those of us that have sent in our money are not only giving ILOX all this money for free, we are making it possible for others that want the service but are unwilling to pay in advance to be able to get the service at all. We are subsidizing your access to this opportunity. You're welcome! Sorry - I warned you it would be tacky but I couldn't help myself. I really do understand that others just won't do this. Really, I do.

I hope I am finished with this topic as I have probably (definitely) gotten too far into the weeds on this - but I am not all that smart so can't guarantee I won't have other comments. Just ask my wife about how often I know when to shut up.

7 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Save the crowing for the day you get the service.

But then, there's the fact that many people living on pensions here can't afford to hand over $14,000 pesos for anything that's not essential.  That doesn't seem to have been taken into consideration by the "crower" when he made his admittedly tacky comment.  In fact, it's very unlikely that those people can afford a service costing over $1200 pesos a month, no matter how much of an improvement it is over what's available now.

Reality check time, si?. 

That does seem like quite a bit, about $66 US dollars a month.  Darn right now my internet in the states costs $60 per month  (nothing else included) which seems way too high especially when I am in Mexico the majority of the time. But that is what it costs in the north for almost 100 Mb/sec up and down.

I guess I was naïve to believe it would be more economical down here.  I just know that I would love about 40 Mb/sec down by say 5Mb/sec up

Pete

You usually don't make mistakes, but you should check out the URL of ILOX and see what the amount actually is.

https://www.ilox.mx/iloxhogar/index.php/paquetes

The $599 NMX per month ($7188 annual) package includes telephone along with 50 MBPS internet service.

For $809, ($9708 annual) television service instead of telephone.

The $14000 annual, actually $14,748 includes telephone, television and 250 MBPS (300 first year).

Compare ILOX' $599 plan with Telmex.

If one can not afford the $599 plan with ILOX, neither can they afford the $599 plan with Telmex.

As harsh as it might sound to some, few for-profit companies are interested in what their non-customers think of their pricing or offers.

As a retired Professor of Economics and Finance, I know that I am not! Nor am I interested in those who are not versed in these areas and believe that they are.

I think you would agree that anyone who doesn't think that a company who is considering an installation outside of their normal strategy would do so only if there was some kind of positive outcome for them. I really don't think that interest on a few million pesos is much of an incentive for a company the size of ILOX.

An interest free loan on my pre-paid annual fee? I consider it to be but a small bribe to have ILOX provide something sooner than anyone else seems to be willing to provide.

and 

I am taking a slightly different approach. I paid 7188 for the lowest cost package. But if Ilox actually makes it, I will buy the higher speed package,. It is easier to make a 1000 peso payment monthly than a year in advance. 

I hope once everything is set up that there will be more options to buy internet service that do not include Ilox's TV service.

Archived