Chapala.com Webboard

Fiber optics

vetteforron

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine last evening.i am not prepared to pay upfront but if it happens i will probably contract.

I have big doubts.why should people have to finance projects ? Thats why banks and investors exist.Dont illox  have sufficient funds to fund this from their own account? In the scheme of things the outlay isnt huge for a so called telecoms company or indeed for any medium size business.This is a strange way to start .never heard of this type of financing in my life.

Also looking at the website the only two residential projects completed are in a few blocks in two small towns.i find this a bit disconcerting.

There is a map showing distribution but no information.

How reliable will after service be?

If we cancel telmex and then find service is unreliable and need to return ,with the lack of infrastuture and internet capacity lakeside how long would it take to reconnect?  Months probably.

These are my concerns but i do hope the project get underway or at least gives telmex a kick up the backside to improve their service.

I wrote back to the sender to ask the difference between the triple plan and the doble. The cheaper doble lists telephone while the triple doesn't. If anyone here has information, please share.

As far as barcelonaman's issues with being asked to finance projects, I'm not so concerned  about that. I've known several people locally who haven't been able to get Telmex service until they pay for poles and lines to reach their property. I'm just grateful fo the opportunity to get high speed service.

I got mine last evening.i am not prepared to pay upfront but if it happens i will probably contract.

I have big doubts.why should people have to finance projects ? Thats why banks and investors exist.Dont illox  have sufficient funds to fund this from their own account? In the scheme of things the outlay isnt huge for a so called telecoms company or indeed for any medium size business.This is a strange way to start .never heard of this type of financing in my life.

Also looking at the website the only two residential projects completed are in a few blocks in two small towns.i find this a bit disconcerting.

If we cancel telmex and then find service is unreliable and need to return ,with the lack of infrastuture and internet capacity lakeside how long would it take to reconnect?  Months probably.

These are my concerns but i do hope the project get underway or at least gives telmex a kick up the backside to improve their service.

This has already been discussed to death on this board. Simple answer? Don't cancel TelMex until you know.

As explained before in other threads they don't want to risk invest their money into something if they aren't sure if there are enough customers. That is why they want some prepaid customers for the first year. It is only a small company and it would set them a few years back in time if they would do the construction and not enough people would contract them. Telmex and izzi have loads of money and still don't invest in lakeside. Ilox just want to know there are enough customers willing to pay. The constructioncosts are much higher then those 300 prepaid customers they want so most likely they are already financing the construction with banks.

And just don't cancel your telmex for some time until you are sure it works fine.

10 minutes ago, Sea said:

I wrote back to the sender to ask the difference between the triple plan and the doble. The cheaper doble lists telephone while the triple doesn't. If anyone here has information, please share.

As far as barcelonaman's issues with being asked to finance projects, I'm not so concerned  about that. I've known several people locally who haven't been able to get Telmex service until they pay for poles and lines to reach their property. I'm just grateful fo the opportunity to get high speed service.

The triple also has telephone.

On their website you'll find those plans mentioned in the mail and what is included.

1 minute ago, ednet94 said:

The triple also has telephone.

On their website you'll find those plans mentioned in the mail and what is included.

Thanks. I assumed it did, but wanted to verify. I didn't try hard enough on my first expedition through their website.

1 hour ago, barcelonaman said:

All good and valid points! 

Hi everyone,

Yes the invitations went out yesterday. Here are the links to them: 

NOTIFICACION ILOX TELECOM ESPAÑOL

NOTIFICATION ILOX TELECOM ENGLISH

If you haven't pledged yet and still want to, here are the   FAQ:  https://goo.gl/CsE574   Pledge:  goo.gl/2kHdeE

The 200 equivalent prepaid pledges represent but a fraction of investment to build out the network.  To make that investment, Ilox want to see enough interest in the community to have some skin in the game.  Most small communities in Mexico are not at all like Ajijic.  Can you blame Ilox..? They've turned up fiber service elsewhere where the purchasing power wasn't what they thought.    Barcelonaman, you're absolutely right, banks and lenders do have capital  Ilox is tapping it for all their lucrative business grade services.  They don't have to come to Ajijic, but as fate would have it, their fiber ring just happens to cross the highway to lakeside at Jocotepec.  So a group of us are trying to facilitate their getting traction.  Won't you please sign up and prepay, like I have?   

If you don't want to pledge now and assuming we get past the 200 equivalent paid-in sign ups, Ilox will open an office and you can contract then.  However service won't start until all the prepaids install.  Probably looking at the end of year.  The prepaids are guaranteed to install no later than 6 mo after payment, maybe much sooner because they'll execute in one fell swoop. 

If you prepay you will receive a guarantee agreement that will refund your monies paid immediately, (max 30 days) if the project doesn't go ahead (due to insufficient paid signups,  too many inaccessable installations (like in gated communities with underground ducts controlled by Telmex).  Ilox and their activities are fully registered at Profeco.  They are are federally licensed carrier. 

If you own property,  are a developer, or work at lakeside, what part of not having high speed internet available that is keeping values down or your career development braked do you not get?

I'll reiterate I have no financial, business, or any pecuniary interest ties to Ilox whatsover.  Just an interested expat at lakeside who owns property and would like to have offsites from my GDL office with my employees.  For that I need good Internet!

4 hours ago, tkessler said:

The 200 equivalent prepaid pledges represent but a fraction of investment to build out the network.  To make that investment, Ilox want to see enough interest in the community to have some skin in the game.  Most small communities in Mexico are not at all like Ajijic.  Can you blame Ilox..? They've turned up fiber service elsewhere where the purchasing power wasn't what they thought.

I've been following this ilox thread since it started, and I appreciate the time and effort tkessler has put into it for both the company and the Lakeside community.

However, something has bothered me from day one:

Where is the marketing from ilox?

They're coming into a "wealthy" area, inhabited by 10,000-ish retirees with - generally speaking - a nice amount of discretionary income to spend.

And they only get 200 prepaid pledges? Seriously?

No ads in the Guadalajara Reporter apart from the ones placed by tkessler. No meet-and-greet information sessions to drum up excitement. No formal posts on local ex-pat social media with rates, packages, or links to their website (thank you for the link above, ComputerGuy), no hustling the many fraccs and gated communities who have dozens if not hundreds of potential subscribers.

Come on guys, target your target market!

I'm sorry to say this, but if they install and service their fiber optic Internet as well as they're currently marketing it... those 200 people who pledged may be disappointed.

Fred,

Ilox' focus is in Mexican domestic economy and they have more lucrative build out opportunities in business Internet services elsewhere. .    Do you see any other carriers falling over themselves to provide service?    The reality is the perception of a lot of Mexicans of lakeside, fair or not,  is a bunch of retirees without much purchasing power living on their Social Security checks.   Ilox happen to have a business grade fiber ring that goes through Joco, they can add Ajijic for a few million pesos investment.    We need to help them do that, not expect them to beef up their marketing. 

We've opened their eyes.  We are at 461 pledges.  200 was the magic number to show them there's enough local interest .   There are another few hundred interested people standing around and watching to see if others take the plunge. Cmon, its not any different than in the US.   Rural areas and smaller communities all over the world are clamoring for high speed broadband and sometimes they just need a little coaxing.   

We need to welcome Ilox with open arms and not like they've won the Tiger Raffle. .   Homeowners in private developments with underground ducts need to get together and figure out how to give them access.   Can you imagine how attractive Lakeside will be  with fiber optic Internet?

BR,

Tom

2 minutes ago, tkessler said:

We need to welcome Ilox with open arms and not like they've won the Tiger Raffle. .   Homeowners in private developments with underground ducts need to get together and figure out how to give them access.   Can you imagine how attractive Lakeside will be  with fiber optic Internet?

Thank you, Tom.

But why should we be chasing them, screaming "Take my money?" Let them tell us what they have to offer in services and infrastructure needs, and a lot more of us will then throw our money at them once we have an informed opinion.

Hey, I'm not trying to be a d!ck here, I just like to know what I'm getting when I fork over some coin.

As such, I'm looking forward to the Telmex meeting on Thursday.

And, in my experience from 11+ years here, there is a lot more money in the wallets of retirees here than just from Social Security cheques.

While I applaud Mr. Kessler for his ongoing efforst on our behalf, first with trying to wrangle anything out of TelMex, and now this... I have to agree with Fred C. To not advertise at all is just peeing away a golden opportunity.

Thank you, Tom.

But why should we be chasing them, screaming "Take my money?"

If you are trying to live, communicate, or do business from Lakeside in this day and age, you likely need high speed Internet.  The status quo (aka Telmex) has not responded.  Many have petitioned Fred, including me.  The only response I got to my communications was the sound of chirping crickets  So an incentive was thought to be needed.  Thats why. 

Let them tell us what they have to offer in services and infrastructure needs, and a lot more of us will then throw our money at them once we have an informed opinion.

They did and have, in the FAQ and links to their service offering.  The FAQ is several pages long.  What else would you like to know?  Tell me and I'll add it. 

Hey, I'm not trying to be a d!ck here, I just like to know what I'm getting when I fork over some coin.

As such, I'm looking forward to the Telmex meeting on Thursday.

Good luck with that.  

And, in my experience from 11+ years here, there is a lot more money in the wallets of retirees here than just from Social Security cheques.

My experience has been the same, but not everyone knows that.  Assuming they do can be a big mistake. 

•  

I too have concerns. One of which is customer service after the fact. To do a one year contract and then have it go out all the time isn't smart. I am more than willing to sign up monthly until they prove dependability long enough for me to feel a year long contract isn't a risk.  Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they can do it well.  I was more than ready to jump on board until I saw how small and new they were. I would do it in a heart beat if I were a millionaire, but I can't take risks on leveraged ETF's or giving a years worth of communication/entertainment money to a company whose track record is nonexistent.  

BestSideoftheWall :

I too have concerns. One of which is customer service after the fact. To do a one year contract and then have it go out all the time isn't smart. I am more than willing to sign up monthly until they prove dependability long enough for me to feel a year long contract isn't a risk.

Your concern is understandable, but you should also know that GPON fiber-to-the-home networks are inherently much more reliable than copper or coax cable.  You can read about HERE or google it.  Ilox is an enterprise grade carrier with proven track record.  We are the lucky ones because their fiber ring with provides carrier grade services to central Mexico crosses at Jocotepec. 

Mexjerry: 

There has been a lot of interest from San Antonio and Riberas.   The initial build out will extend to Riberas.  Chapala will probably come on line after the prepaid phase. 

Tom

We received our notification and moving ahead with pre paying on two locations in the El Tempisque and El Limon areas. I had our lawyer review the contracts and investigate the company as to any formal/legal complaints that have occurred.  He found the contracts to be acceptable and found no complaints regarding the company in the legal system.    The company is 22 years old and has a proven track record.   The other aspect to understand is that a federal license that is required for any telecommunications company, a license that is far more valuable to a company, and not worth risking in any situation.

For those of us West of San Juan Cosala Telmex has for 5+ years since we have lived in the area, limited the maximum Internet download speed to 2 megs.   When we first arrived in the area 5+ years ago the average download was 1.75....the area has grown, yet the service has declined, with no improvement in the infrastructure to keep up with growth in the area.

Two years I ago I called Telmex to gain a better understanding of why our service was so minimal, the rep was polite, worked me through the trouble shooting issues,  I had none, finally it told me honestly,  "you can't get more than what you are getting."

The next week I called in again, just to make sure I understood everything...once again got the same trouble shooting process and "thats all you're going to get"

It was the closing comment of the support technician that to me conveyed the Telmex position as to improving their services..."DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE INTERNET, MR. W, IT WILL BE ALL RIGHT"  in perfect English by the way.

Archived