Chapala.com Webboard

Dinner music at supper

ComputerGuy

Some years back, all the restaurants started hiring musicians to play during supper, then lunch. And lost a lot of customers. Salvadore's restaurant came close to going under after he started playing music at lunch. Tony's became the place to avoid while he was singing at 8pm.

I will never go to a restaurant that plays anything more than background piano, or quiet jazz records, during mealtime. A singer-songwriter duet, such as recently advertised locally for 6pm? Forget it. Dinner out is the perfect place to chat with friends and renew old acquaintances, not to shout over your food.

We, too, no  longer go out to dinner where music is playing.  I also have no problem asking to have music cease if it seems like even a remote possibility the staff would comply.  Even in some restaurants individual speakers near your table area can be turned off. I also have been known to pay musicians NOT to play while we are there.  Since many play for tips.

I really dislike live music at these places. It is usually much too loud. I avoid any place that advertises live music.

I actually enjoy the sound of a busy restaurant, especially early evening, cutlery clattering, glasses clinking, bartenders blenders, people laughing, always one loud fool who wants to be noticed.

It turns out that I am not the only one - youtube has hundreds of hours of restaurant sounds. google busy restaurant sounds.

That's quite a bit different.

Oh, and being from the recording industry, I'd have to suggest those sounds are for background tracks, not generally speaking for people who like to spend their spare time listening to kitchen noises. Especially when all one has to do is go out and eat.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

It turns out that I am not the only one - youtube has hundreds of hours of restaurant sounds. google busy restaurant sounds.

YouTube also has this "sound" track:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4mHPeMGTJM

Archived