Chapala.com Webboard

TOP 5 Restaurants

SYSY

This topic is dedicated your TOP 5 Restaurants here at Lakeside.

This Topic is NOT:

About criticizing other people's choices or restaurants people have listed - instead, pick your own 5 favorites and make your case for them.

We have a fantastic selection of restaurants to choose from here and so many new ones opening every day - I hope people can help out the newbies at Lakeside with their experience.

Thanks!

My Top 5 Restaurants:

1. Indian Curry in Centro Laguna - great fast food, low prices, excellent service - I never tire of eating here!

2. Cocinart in Ajijic - very good food, good service, fantastic desserts - nice sit down environment

3. Masayume in Ajijic - great japanese food! Newish...

4. Alex Pasta Bar - try the Osso Bucco

5. Tony's Fried Chicken in San Antonio - love the strips and the tater salad

It's kind of hard to rank these, but that's the best I can do - there are many others that are OK and some I like, but this is the TOP 5.

Top 5 for me:

Goshas:( breakfast, lunch and now dinner)

Cocinart (lunch and dinner: breakfast on weekends)

Tabarka (lunch and dinner)

Chopsticks (lunch)

Yves, when winter has a cozy heater inside, and the rest of the year for nice outdoor dining (breakfast, lunch and dinner)

Question: where is the Japanese restaurant and what do they serve?

YVES' RESTAURANT in West Ajijic, for lovely garden setting & fresh food. (Closed Wed. 376-766-3565) Favorite- chicken with brandy mushroom sauce.

MARISCOS GUICHOS on east end of Chapala Malecon. People watching, good shrimp. (Closed Tues. 376-765-3232) Favorite- spicy hot shrimp aguachile.

(Tie for Pizza)

FOCCACIA east of Chapala (San Juan Tecomatlan) on the Chapala-Mezcala hwy. Lake view, thin crust wood-oven pizza, crazy stuff on the walls. (Closed Tues & Wed. 332-165-4396) Favorite- the "Foccacia Pizza"(goat che, fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes).

M & J ROYAL PIZZA in Ajijic village, corner of Donato Guerra & 16th de Septiembre (may be moving) 376-766-4634 Fun convivial atmosphere, good pizza. Favorite- Margarita pizza with mushrooms.

CHILE VERDE on the w. side of Ajijic Plaza. Authentic Mexican Food, cute small place. (Not open for dinner-376-766-0072) Favorite- pork ribs in green sauce special.

CHEZ CHARRACATE a half block west of Colon on Independencia (at Barbara's Bazaar) Setting! Excellent wine list & small plates. (Open Thurs. & Fridays 4-8pm) phone  t52 1 33 1497 3620. Favorite- Monthly changing wine and cheese menu. 

ps ENJOY!

1.  Alex's Pasta Bar.....love everything on the menu, and their wine is excellent!

2.  Los Telares....love the garden setting.  Their Margarita salad is fabulous, and their wines are very good.

3.  Paninos....Mondays, roast beef dinner, and Wednesdays, turkey.  Consistently delicious, and the restaurant is always busy, but with great service.

4.  Brew House....good food and wine......excellent service.

5.  La Vita Bella.....views to die for!  Good food and wine as well.

• 10 months later...

Hi ! I just recently move here.. I am surprised of the chapala kitchen.. I have to say one of my favorite restaurant is La Vita Bella, I went already to El Jardín D´Shanti, Garufa (which I found the price quite high)  and  some small restaurants in the area...  I´ve heard a lot of comments about Tango. I guess I will visit some of those you named. 

Interesting I find Tango which is usually rated number one barely mentioned here whereas Cocinart received several top votes.  I would agree I have always thought Tango was over rated.  Number one for me is Concinart with Lety's for fish.  Mediteranian{misspelled}  for pasta, Chopsticks for Vietnamese, and La Huerta for coffee and cake.

Weird. I would have thought it was the other way round. Remember that I used to live in La Huerta which was most definitely an avocado orchard originally. El Huerto café is a nice café in a garden setting where they grow their own salad greens.

I just hauled out my heavier than sin Simon & Shuster's English/Spanish Spanish/English Dictionary. To add to the confusion: La Huerta is defined as "garden, vegetable garden, orchard, cultivated land, irrigated land" and El Huerto is defined as "fruit or vegetable garden, orchard".      Clear as mud.

37 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I just hauled out my heavier than sin Simon & Shuster's English/Spanish Spanish/English Dictionary. To add to the confusion: La Huerta is defined as "garden, vegetable garden, orchard, cultivated land, irrigated land" and El Huerto is defined as "fruit or vegetable garden, orchard".      Clear as mud.

According to my expert, they are the same (veg garden or orchard) except La Huerta is bigger and El Huerto is smaller. 

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Lo Huerto means The Garden as opposed to El Huerto, which means orchard.

According to the same expert, Lo Huerto does not exist.

Archived