Chapala.com Webboard

Dialing 844

kosika

Help. I need to call about my pension and apparently there is a new toll free prefix in the US and it is 844.

Has anyone ever had to dial this number? I have looked at all the sites for dialing toll free to the States from Mexico, but I can not find how to change from the 844 to a number that will go through.

All the info says...  Dial 001, which is the international dial code to call the United States, when you have a dial tone. Dial 880 if your toll-free number begins with 800. Dial 881 for an 888 number. Dial 882 for an 877 number and dial 883 for all 866numbers.

Thank you!!

https://forums.att.com/t5/Other-Phones-Devices/Calling-844-toll-free-from-mx-to-us-from-cell-phone/td-p/4959324

Try these:

1 800 #  replace it with 001 880
1 888 #  replace it with 001 881
1 877 #  replace it with 001 882
1 866 #  replace it with 001 883
1 855 #  replace it with 001 884
1 844 #  replace it with 001 885

Remember that we have to pay per minute when using these number to reach the US border. They are very expensive. The last time I checked I was told the per minute rate was approaching $7 pesos counting IVA. You pay that whether you are on the $389 or $599 Telmex plan. Try never to use a US or Canadian 800 number unless you have an internet phone with a Canadian or US #. If so, you can phone the number directly and NOT use the 001-880 series numbers.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, johanson said:

Remember that we have to pay per minute when using these number to reach the US border. They are very expensive. The last time I checked I was told the per minute rate was approaching $7 pesos counting IVA. You pay that whether you are on the $389 or $599 Telmex plan. Try never to use a US or Canadian 800 number unless you have an internet phone with a Canadian or US #. If so, you can phone the number directly and NOT use the 001-880 series numbers.

With the Sin Limite plan at Telcel, you can call toll-free numbers in U.S. and Canada on your cellphone with no charge.  You will hear a recorded message stating that these calls are not 'toll-free', but I've never been charged even one peso!

• Like 1

We try and have direct phone numbers for all of the 1-800 type phone numbers we might need to call in Canada, that way we call them directly with no charge. Sometimes we get caught down here and  I have to email or have a life online "chat" with them to get a non toll-free number.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suegarn said:

With the Sin Limite plan at Telcel, you can call toll-free numbers in U.S. and Canada on your cellphone with no charge.  You will hear a recorded message stating that these calls are not 'toll-free', but I've never been charged even one peso!

Wow.  I'd never heard this.  Thanks for this tip, suegarn.  I will do this next time.  Muchas gracias.

20 hours ago, johanson said:

I'm sorry. I should have said I was talking about Telmex. Yes if you have the right plan, you can do as you said. I thought they were only talking about Telmex. Which plan do you have and what do you pay per month?

I have the 'Sin Limite' plan, and it's 199 pesos per month for unlimited calling to Mexico, U.S. and Canada.  And it works while you're in those countries as well.  Check for more details at your local Telcel office.  I use the one beside Alex's Pasta Bar.  Ana is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Does the “no limit” apply only to phone calls and not to texting and internet use?

It does include a certain amount of data in the package.  Since I never text or use my phone for emails or internet, I can't tell you the amount.  Just ask at one of the Telcel stores.  They have a poster on the wall describing the plan.

Yes I stopped by a Telcel store today and they told me about the package, there is also unlimited Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp in that program. There is limited data, but you had better check. I just remember that it was 1000 something I think megabits per the 33 day billing period. The plan he showed me was called something like unlimited calls in  and or between two both the US and Mexico. The 200 peso package was good for 33 days.

There are so many packages available that it gets confusing. All I know is that with my unlimited TELMEX plan (not Telcel) long distance calling to the US, Canada, and other countries, I still have to pay for making a US 800 # call from Mexico. I do not know if Telcel allows you to call such numbers for free or not EDIT I JUST REREAD YOUR POSTS SUEGARN, it says although a recorded voice said that you would be charged but that you were not

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2018 at 4:38 PM, johanson said:

I just plug a land line in the back of my Arris router from Wizz and I pay nothing...

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2018 at 4:16 PM, suegarn said:

Four years later and I have the Telcel amigo sin límite package and I am unable to call toll free numbers in the U.S.A. I also used to use Skype but it´s been a long time and somethings have changed there so I´m not sure if toll free numbers to the USA can be made. I don´t have an account with them anymore and wouldn´t want to open one to find out the those calls can´t be made. Any helpful ideas out there?