Chapala.com Webboard

Good French Fries

babyface

14 hours ago, More Liana said:

For those who like really crispy french fries, ask for them double fried.  

This is almost as good as a butter thread!

I have gotten so used to twice-fried, that when I make them at home, I berate myself if I haven't allowed enough time. I originally learned to do this from James Beard. I find that restaurants that do not twice fry just don't really have good fries. It's actually better for a restaurant, as you undoubtedly know, to use the technique because half-cooking ahead of time allows for super-fast service when they are ordered. Too many are cooked crisp on the outside, but in too-hot oil, leaving the inside undercooked and yechy. (Yes, a technical cooking term there...)

When I malign a Mexican potato it is usually because it has been baked or grilled, and it just ain't the same. Being Canadian, eh, you know how we revere our foil-wrapped bakers.

I can say that in soups and stews, etc, Mexican potatos are fine. I can also say that I usually buy my fries frozen, and the difference between a Mexican brand and McCain's is noticeable.

My mum made French fries EVERY single night for dinner when I was a kid. I've come to the conclusion that she did so because she rarely got home from work before 6 p.m. and they were fast. Old fashioned pot with a large grill basket... Tenderflake  LARD used to fry and an electric stove. Home cut Canadian P.E.I. potatoes. She tested that the temperature was correct by observing the bubbling from the bottom of the pot and when she deemed it ready, she would put in ONE chip to test. If it foamed like crazy then settled down immediately, she would raise the basket, put the fries in and then lower the basket into the lard. These potatoes BROWNED when they were cooked (I can't say the same for Mexican potatoes) and ended up crispy on the outside and soft (but cooked) in the centres.

I have an order of fries about once a month now and am always disappointed. When I go to Canada, I may go to a fish and chip shop to recreate the memory. Nothing else even comes close.

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

My mum made French fries EVERY single night for dinner when I was a kid. I've come to the conclusion that she did so because she rarely got home from work before 6 p.m. and they were fast. Old fashioned pot with a large grill basket... Tenderflake  LARD used to fry and an electric stove. Home cut Canadian P.E.I. potatoes. She tested that the temperature was correct by observing the bubbling from the bottom of the pot and when she deemed it ready, she would put in ONE chip to test. If it foamed like crazy then settled down immediately, she would raise the basket, put the fries in and then lower the basket into the lard. These potatoes BROWNED when they were cooked (I can't say the same for Mexican potatoes) and ended up crispy on the outside and soft (but cooked) in the centres.

I have an order of fries about once a month now and am always disappointed. When I go to Canada, I may go to a fish and chip shop to recreate the memory. Nothing else even comes close.

My Irish mother made them just like that for us.  When the lard cooled the chip pan and basket went into a cupboard, not the fridge, for next time.  Best chips ever!!

I  do it in an old pot with grill basket always left out in the cupboard with a lid after use and the oil is canola. the Mexican potatoes I use are just fine as I  mentioned before. I 've used this pot for over 30 years and in Canada first. When I  said maligned I was referring to a great number of you commenting on the raw potatoes available here.

Used to always use peanut oil, and in my home town, searched out chip wagons that used same. It has a higher smoke point and just tastes good. But in the last 20 years it has gotten far too expensive to use in large quantities. McDonald's big secret long ago was using beef tallow, for flavour. (One story has it that they switched to vegetable oil after attacks by Hindu and Sikh groups when they discovered the sacred cow was in their fries...)

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

When I malign a Mexican potato it is usually because it has been baked or grilled, and it just ain't the same. Being Canadian, eh, you know how we revere our foil-wrapped bakers.

I can say that in soups and stews, etc, Mexican potatos are fine. I can also say that I usually buy my fries frozen, and the difference between a Mexican brand and McCain's is noticeable.

A couple of weeks ago a family came down from the States to tour with me.  They asked what they could bring me.  Idaho russets, please.  I still have four of the six they brought.  

Were it not for the Mexican Potato Growers Union, we could have russets here, instead of the papa Alfa.  I've learned to make fairly good mashed, and better-than-fairly-good potato salad, and like you said, soups and stews, with the Alfa.  But it definitely isn't a baker.  

Baked Russet Potato.jpg

Papa Alfa.jpg

On 1/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, ComputerGuy said:

A little burger and taco place on Ramon Corona, just west of the San Antonio Plaza and Mario's, serves skinny fries, like McDonalds and Trip's. Because they are skinny, the crisp fast and cook all the way through inside. Skinny fries are a fast-food chain staple. I can't find any history on them, but my suspicion is that Ray Crock created them for faster serviceable cooking. He was obsessed with getting McDonald's orders out as fast as possible.

Anyway, I headed there again on Saturday night. Total for a hamburger special with fries, including cheese and bacon, was 45p. Two of us ate: one had Oaxaca cheese instead of American slices, and both had a good-sized glass of agua fresca, for $112p. Match that anywhere around here, with a homemade patty and some really good fries.

Others have asked about the location of this place, It is Elvira's, blue doors just west of the plaza other side from Marios. It is a Cenaduria, a private home that is open to the public on weekends. Not sure of the hours but I will post this on a separate thread when I am sure. This is very typical in small traditional Mexican towns...Grandma in the kitchen, Mama the hostess and the kids doing the waiting. Great tacos and Posale. Have not tried the hamburgers and fries yet (very unusual for this kind of place) but have heard raves from others also.  

We used to frequent Cenaduria Elvira once in a while, and always in the evening, after 7PM, which is normal for cenadurias.  We also liked Cenaduria Elba, in Chapala, with its amazing menu.  Most cenadurias are invisible in the daytime, often having no sign at all and nothing visible to the street. But, when that door rolls up after 7 or 7:30 PM, you may enter an entirely new world of gustatory adventure.  Long tables are common, and are a great way to meet your neighbors, enjoy a liesurely meal, and practice your Spanish.

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Others have asked about the location of this place, It is Elvira's, blue doors just west of the plaza other side from Marios. It is a Cenaduria, a private home that is open to the public on weekends. Not sure of the hours but I will post this on a separate thread when I am sure. This is very typical in small traditional Mexican towns...Grandma in the kitchen, Mama the hostess and the kids doing the waiting. Great tacos and Posale. Have not tried the hamburgers and fries yet (very unusual for this kind of place) but have heard raves from others also.  

GH, cenaduría simply means a place to eat cena--supper.  Not all are located in people's homes, and not all are family-run.  My personal favorite at Lakeside is Cenaduría Elba, I often wish I could go for a big bowl of her pozole and a glass of tepache.  Glad you like it too.

The type of potato is important. One remembers Ireland, which are almost certainly Maris Piper. Another remember Canadian P.E.I. potatoes which are superior to Russets. The problem with Russets from the U.S.A. is that they have to utilise a lot of chemicals in growing, to prevent viruses, growing jumbo sizes, etc. That is a bad thing if your favourite part is the crispy, baked skin. That link I gave for potato seeds also has Russet Nuggets, which would seem more suitable for our climate. Growing from seeds greatly reduces the risk of virus, each plant is unique and must adapt to survive. You allow some of the healthy survivors to go to seed, and you can plant them next year.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:43 AM, More Liana said:

A couple of weeks ago a family came down from the States to tour with me.  They asked what they could bring me.  Idaho russets, please.  I still have four of the six they brought.  

Were it not for the Mexican Potato Growers Union, we could have russets here, instead of the papa Alfa.  I've learned to make fairly good mashed, and better-than-fairly-good potato salad, and like you said, soups and stews, with the Alfa.  But it definitely isn't a baker.  

Baked Russet Potato.jpg

Papa Alfa.jpg

When I used to visit Patzcuaro Michoacan, more frequently I would take the route through Zacapu.  I found that the town of Villa Jimenez had a russet-like potato for sale.  They made very decent baked potatoes.  Along that route there were a couple of roadside restaurants that served baked potatoes and sweet yellow corn.  I assume both are grown near there.  It makes me wonder why we don't see more of those potatoes for sale here.  That said, I did see what looked like russet-like potatoes at one stand at the Ajijic tianguis last Wednesday.

Archived