Chapala.com Webboard

Love and Fishes

ComputerGuy

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes. Has anyone eaten there?

I've eaten there a few times, and their food is good (for a moderately-priced restaurant).  You aren't going to get fabulous wines and fine dining, but their fish and chips are very good!  I think they season them with lemon pepper.  They have indoor seating, outdoor covered patio seating, and seating out in the garden area as well.  Very nice atmosphere!

This is actually one of our most favorite places in all of Ajijic! Their octopus and shrimp with garlic and mushrooms is definitely a 10, although a bit chille heavy for my taste. Their guacamole is stellar and their drinks are excellent. Certainly all the brochettes are memorable and excellent fish as well. 

Even the house red wine was a pleasant surprise. The only food I've had there that I didn't think was terrific was the hamburger. The service is great and listening to father and son violin and guitar and drum music in that beautiful garden setting, under that huge tree, is the very heart of Mexico in my opinion! Everybody who works there has a great attitude = so relaxing and fun!

• 1 month later...

We ate here in April. I was impressed with the prices and the style of battered fish. Service was good, but we were the only people there around 8 pm. Nice music was being performed at the proper volume for eating and talking.

We went back last Saturday. What a decided mess. After an hour of nothing... not even bread or totopos. I had to go into the kitchen to find out what the heck. It was then I was told by the "head waitress", who was cooking away and chopping veg, that the cook never turned up. They were out of guacamole, which explained why our starters didn't turn up. That might have been mentioned oh, I dunno, about an hour earlier when we ordered it. She lamented she was forced to be chief cook and bottle water, waitress, hostess and bartender. Well, since we were only drinking limonadas, that part of her story didn't help.

We eventually got served, and again, we were the only customers. Three of us had fish and chips; the fourth got shrimp on skewers. The fish was completely different than before: long soggy strips in some gooey batter. Portions were all different, and smallThe rice was excellent, the shrimp and vegetable on a skewer were very tasty, although the shrimp was overdone. She did well considering she is not a cook.

However, the wise and honest thing to do would have been to tell us as we walked in the door. I have no problem with that; it's darn better service than what we faced. Later, she talked to her boss who was apparently interviewing new cooks, and he offered a free round of drinks. She took the price of the limonadas off the bill. She also was very apologetic and embarrassed. That did not help our birthday celebration much in the end, though. Especially since pretty much everything on the menu has also gone up 20 to 30%; the fish and chips, formerly 90p, is now 120p. And the shrimp, two skewers, cost less than the fish and chips.

Note that they also changed their hours to include breakfast, but close earlier, at 7pm. I have seen the kiss of death.

• 3 weeks later...

I had stopped in there several months ago and was told that they are closing the doors at 7 PM because its the off season and have walked past there several times since and its always locked up. Kinda hard to make money with the doors locked at 7 PM on a Fri or Sat night

Archived