Chapala.com Webboard

Organic grocery like Whole Foods near by?

Dan M

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm too old to need organic anything.

As for freshness with good prices ... There is a tiny, rather dingy, always crowded vegetable store directly behind the Chapala Central Mercado. The truck with produce from the abastos usually arrives by 11am. Great prices, mostly local people buying, very busy ALL the time.

As for fresh meats, I go to the butcher in the mercado and when the worker hauls in a side of beef or pork and hangs it on the hook, I point, and ask for my meat from it.

On Sundays, there are a few stalls open in front of the San Antonio Church. We get spinach fresh pulled from the garden. I can smell the dirt as well as see it. 

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The tianguis on Wednesday in Ajijic: pretty much all the produce sellers get their goods from the Abastos market in Guad, same as the local small shops. The earlier they get there, the better their choices. However, there are also those that save on their costs by ignoring the A and B grades and settling for the C (you can tell when apples are puny what grade they are).

Umm...let's think a little deeper, regarding apples in particular.  The big, shiny apples--red, yellow, green, etc--are almost always from the USA--and almost always have a sticker on each piece of fruit indicating that it was imported from Up North.  That's true of pears, peaches, nectarines, kiwis, some cantaloupes (some wear "Product of Mexico" stickers, some wear "Product of the USA" stickers), and a bunch of other fruits--look for the stickers!

On the other hand, Mexican-grown fruits (apples, peaches, small brown pears, lichees, rambutans, those seasonal small orange oval plums, etc) are smaller, look kind of 'puny' and are grown nationally.  They're also usually much more flavorful, picked riper, and a better value.  Shop smart--don't go by looks alone.

I was not referring specifically to local or Mexican-grown produce, just what turns up at the tianguis and in the stores. The difference is pretty apparent to me. I have to hold my tongue when people say they get the best fruit at the tianguis, because I've been down that path many, many times, and I know for a fact that the majority of the stuff is purchased in import lots from the abastos, which may specialize in mayoristas, but certainly not simply home-grown product. The small fact that half of them have import stickers and names on them is also somewhat of a giveaway.

I'm also referring to grade C apples with stickers still on them. Hey, I worked at a gym a few years back that offered fresh fruit every morning. It had a deal with a supplier who went to Guadalajara each day. We knew when the honeymoon was over, because the lower-grade fruit started arriving, most of it with stickers. So while your statement is worthwhile to share, I was definitely going deep.

On 1/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, johanson said:

Isn't there a Tuesday Market in West Ajijic where only organic food is sold each week?

Who certifies its organic? Back in the states the California  and VT certifications are the best . There is a USDA one. If you want organic lakeside you have to talk to some local farmers who may grow it. The organic market has changed over the years. That's why they call it the Tuesday market.

44 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I think the Monday Market at the Sunrise is a pain in the butt...parking spaces filled by the vendors....big problem  for any person wanting to get into the electric shop etc..why don't the Organic crazies go and find a green field to sell their junk. 

I think the Tuesday parking situation is also a pain in the butt.... with vendors also having filled the front row spaces.  

When ACA went out of business quite some years ago, Marie Pruden sold all the organic equipment to a couple who had worked there and been taught all about growing organically. They started their own little organic farm and by now it is pretty sure the ground can be considered clean of chemicals. That is if they haven't returned to using such. I forget their name, but their stand is to the right of the doors from the parking lot as you enter. I would wager they are your best bet in obtaining anything organic other than some of the meat vendors. 

Not just without pesticides but also without artificial fertilizers if it's being done totally organically. I don't think there's any regulatory body here to confirm and certify this so I think it's a leap of faith on the part of the customer.

As an aside note: I noticed that people always bought the "fresh dirt on the carrot" choices before the bagged washed ones... and that was 25 years ago. Dirt gives the appearance of "freshness" as in freshly pulled. So, if you're selling carrots, give 'em a wet dirt bath... and they'll sell faster.

It's all well and good to ensure that going forward, we try to buy pesticide-free, etc. But what about everything we've ingested prior to the new thinking? Pretty sure the damage has already been done. So, I don't worry about it much.

I am really concerned about my long term survival and want to eat healthy food from now on. I have been eating anything and everything from anywhere, if it looked tasty, and have been doing that for almost 81 years. What do I do now? Organic? Vegan? Some TV diet program?

Can anyone help? Please respond soon, as I fear that my prior bad habits might soon begin to affect my health.

31 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

I am really concerned about my long term survival and want to eat healthy food from now on. I have been eating anything and everything from anywhere, if it looked tasty, and have been doing that for almost 81 years. What do I do now? Organic? Vegan? Some TV diet program?

Can anyone help? Please respond soon, as I fear that my prior bad habits might soon begin to affect my health.

You're probably still with us because of all the preservatives you've consumed over the years... ;)

The reality is that you are of an age when, for most of your life, you didn't eat food laced with chemicals... especially during your formative growing up years. I worry about the long term effects on my grandkids who were exposed to pesticides, fertilizers, preservatives, flavor enhancers and artificial colours in their food at a very early age.

6 minutes ago, Ferret said:

You're probably still with us because of all the preservatives you've consumed over the years... ;)

The reality is that you are of an age when, for most of your life, you didn't eat food laced with chemicals... especially during your formative growing up years. I worry about the long term effects on my grandkids who were exposed to pesticides, fertilizers, preservatives, flavor enhancers and artificial colours in their food at a very early age.

Good point.  At RV's age, the food supply was not yet infested with so much crud that it had a shelf life longer than our life expectancy during the years he was growing up.  😝

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Research shows that arsenic was being used in the 20s and 30s. Chemicals began widespread use in the 40s. So, it looks like we all grew up with it.

Probably.  But it's gotten worse.   Check out the long, long list of ingredients on a package of the most popular hot dogs: You'll need a magnifying glass, but it's a shocker.  A lot of us grew up in homes where moms did all the cooking from scratch and there were no packaged foods around. Some were lucky enough that there were veggies and such from our own gardens.

Oh well. Louise is off playing cards at a luncheon with "the girls", so I will eat a healthy lunch, all alone, of fried Spam and a salad.  Is that OK? I will have a Creamsicle for desert. Eat your hearts out! Yes, they still exist.

Yesterday, I made the tortillas, while she laid out the black beans, pico de gallo, queso fresca, salsa, crema, etc., and we thought it was a healthy meal. Desert was a chocolate covered peanut butter wafer.

Archived