Chapala.com Webboard

Renewing of Car Tax 2018

There were some differences in the required details when I renewed my car tax in Chapala this week.  The procedure is still the same - a queue of people and the sitting on the chairs when you get inside the building - but the information that I had to give when my turn came at the counter was not what has occurred before.  Previously, you just handed over your old car tax document and then they issued you a new one.  This year they wanted to see a passport or resident card, they wanted to know my curp number, email address, telephone number, cross streets where I lived and, would you believe, the color of our house (Caracteristicas del Domicillo).  Then they printed out and gave me a 'CEDULA DE IDENTIFICATION FISCAL' paper with all these details on it.  Strange!!??!!

The cost this year of renewing is $522.00 (less $52.00 if you renew early) and $40.00 contribution to the Cruz Roja..  They open at 08:30 am. on Av. Degollado.

massive line way out the door..an officer was handing a piece of paper that has to be filled out prior to reaching the counter..It requires the following info...Full name of owner, license plate #,  CURP #, RFC #,  email address.  Since I did not have some of the info handy  I took a hike and drove to the Emissions test facility on Zaragoza, the street is open and the shop is open and NO LINE..test completed in 15 minutes..Now will try the license office in the afternoon next week..

We bought a friend's used March at the end of October, transferring everything to our name and paying the fees at that time at the office in Chapala.  The yearly taxes will be due this coming October right?  I was just assuming so, but you know what they say about "assume."  Better go check the paperwork.

29 minutes ago, Canyon Wren said:

We bought a friend's used March at the end of October, transferring everything to our name and paying the fees at that time at the office in Chapala.  The yearly taxes will be due this coming October right?  I was just assuming so, but you know what they say about "assume."  Better go check the paperwork.

When you bought the vehicle has nothing to do with when you register, as stated above you need to do it in the first 3 months if you want a discount. I think if you do it later than May you are fined a higher fee.

We went today.  Given a piece of paper requesting your name, RFC#, CURP#, tag# and your email address.  Waited one hour in line and one hour in the chairs.  It is really slow because they have to enter all of this information in the system.  Some people had several tags to do and were at the counter for almost an hour.

Car tag and Emissions test and sticker are Independent issues BUT both are required..Emissions test facility is OPEN for business as well as Zaragoza the street they are located on..

13 hours ago, jguerin said:

If 2 names on the car, we should provide info for both or only the first name.  My car is on my name

and Y-O the other person.    So it is one or the other.   Hope my info will be sufficient.   Thanks

Good question

This would be nice to know so we do not wait only to be told we need both. Do both need to be present?

Also great notification

Sorry, I'm ROTFLMAO. I'm also in the either/or category except that my husband passed away in 2015. They seemed to be totally unconcerned about this when I told them and renewed last year... so why would they want an RFC # or a CURP # when they are both null and void in his case? Oh yeah...Solo en México. Makes me wonder if I should tote along the death certificate. Hijole!

19 hours ago, sm1mex said:

It is an I.D. number required to get a factura.  My insurance agent got mine for me on line.  (I don't know the web site).  Contact your agent for help.  RFC's are needed for other things and services.

Mine wants to charge me 600 pesos for the number...I see it printed on the insurance policy?

Archived