Chapala.com Webboard

Gas Prices

Sonia

First time in decades gasoline prices in Mexico varied at stations along the highway. From within Mexico City to SMA they ranged from 16.53 to 16.05 pesos per liter.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Just after you cross into Chapala municipio from San Juan Cosala the Pemex there had a sign advertising gasolina barata.  No idea what the price is.

The west side Pemex was out of Premium Monday morning.

The app says 16.50, don't know when that was updated

pemex near Hotel Pescador 16.52

pemex at Aldama 16.65

pemex Riberas 16.70

Chapala 16.65

Pemex @ 7-11 top of the hill 16.66

Ixtlahuacan 16.70

16 minutes ago, mexjerry said:

pemex at Aldama 16.65

pemex Riberas 16.70

Chapala 16.65

Ixtlahuacan 16.70

So looking at the difference between the highest, 16.70, and the lowest, 16.52 we are talking about barely a penny a liter. At $.04 a gallon I certainly won't be driving out of my way looking for the cheapest gas.

I'm going to be driving up to the states in a couple of months and it will be interesting to see how the rest of Mexico is doing.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, Mainecoons said:

Just after you cross into Chapala municipio from San Juan Cosala the Pemex there had a sign advertising gasolina barata.  No idea what the price is.

The west side Pemex was out of Premium Monday morning.

I got gas at that station the other day and asked the attendant if gas really was cheaper there. He laughed and said no it is the same. 

Damn in SMA 17.05 is common. 

• 1 month later...
On January 2, 2018 at 11:06 AM, mexjerry said:

pemex at Aldama 16.65

pemex Riberas 16.70

Chapala 16.65

Ixtlahuacan 16.70

Isn't this a result of the privatization process of Pemex initiated by the Peña Nieto regime? 

Ok, on March 2nd 2018, I paid 18.38 pesos a liter of Magna (regular) at the Pemex on the libriamento just before the centro Laguna.

On March 6th, 2017 I paid 16.45 pesos the liter of same.

On march 2nd, 2016 I paid 13.16 pesos the liter of same.

Yes I keep a little note book in my car, but its mainly to keep a check on my fuel consumption.

It still blows my mind that the gas price increase had not slowed anyone down !

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Pete I think that price reflected the premium brand

I wonder how much "other" liquid is being added to the "cheaper" prices???

You got me curious to see if I looked at the wrong price. I shall check sometime this afternoon, when coming home from lunch and post what Magna actually costs today at the Ajijic Pemex located near Telmex on the main road through town.

I just checked the price of Magna or regular at the Pemex station near Telmex on the Carretera in Ajijic. It was as I remembered. To be exact, it is or was an hour ago, 18.26 pesos per liter.

Luckily this does not impact me too much because my Honda CRV which I bought new in 2013 has only 16,024 kilometers on it. I have owned it now for 4.7 years now which means that I am averaging driving 3,400 Km per year during the 8 months of a year I am here each year. Yes I drive every day I am here, but usually only a few Km per day and only very occasionally driving some 65 Km each way to Costco.

12 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

Pemex is not going to be privatized.

Hello Alan,

Certainly not if AMLO gets in.

But didn't the Congress lobbied by the PRI and Peña Nieto open up some sectors of Pemex to  free market contractual bidding a couple years back that resulted in the dramatic jump in gasoline prices that we were all bitching about?  My take on that was is was a first step in opening the door to the privatization of Pemex.  I'd be interested in getting your opinion on this being that you also have married into the culture and have the benefit of that perspective.  I know too little of what really is going on, don't trust much of what I read and hear and base much of my conclusions on my own speculations and perceptions of what might really be going on.  I'm open to your opinion and to be educated on this subject.

Thank you!

pm  

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 10:53 AM, Mainecoons said:

You're right.  They aren't about to get rid of the rich graft opportunity Pemex is.

An example of corruption. PEMEX yesterday advertised 2, 2016 BMW X5's. They were in Queretaro and loaded with every option including V8 motors. They sell for 1,400,000 pesos new. They had 18000 miles and advertisted on Mercadolibre. Price was 400,000 pesos. They are worth 850,000 pesos used. We were 2 hours too late to book an appointment to see them. And, when we offered an immediate transfer of 400,000 pesos they would not take it and were allowing those who called first to see the BMW's. No wonder they lose billions of dollars per year. When does an oil company buy vehicles worth almost $100,000 Canadian let alone sell them so cheap?

• 2 weeks later...

With the peso crashing and the price of gasoline in USD surging, I'd be very surprised if peso prices for gasoline weren't through the roof. I wrote a rather technical blog post about this during the "gasolinazo," in January of 2017, and folks interested in the interaction between the exchange rate and the gasoline price might want to take a look.  

https://gringosuelto.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/mexico-is-burning/

Saludos!

• 4 months later...

Anyone care to venture why Mexicans are not "screaming" as Pemex continues to raise gas prices? Do they not realize that Pemex continues to sell gas to ALL stations? Price now over $4.00 a gallon !

Archived