Chapala.com Webboard

NEW Mexican Citizenship Exam 2018

Joe Johnstun

16 hours ago, Scott said:

You can't apply right now due to COVID-19. They haven't been accepting applications since March.

Could you share some supportive evidence? A news article or D.O.F. entry, etc.

Thank you for mentioning that either way, it has prompted me to contact them tomorrow via email and telephone, to confirm which tramites they are currently offering.

On 10/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, Travelero said:

Could you share some supportive evidence? A news article or D.O.F. entry, etc.

Thank you for mentioning that either way, it has prompted me to contact them tomorrow via email and telephone, to confirm which tramites they are currently offering.

Did you get in touch with them? I really think you should before making a trip to Mexico City for this.

I don't have time to go through all the DOF entries where they keep changing and updating everything, but here's two relevant ones:

https://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5591687&fecha=16/04/2020

"SEXTO a) Durante el periodo que comprende del 20 al 30 de abril de 2020 se suspende la atención y recepción de las solicitudes y cualquier trámite relativo a los procedimientos administrativos de nacionalidad, naturalización y artículo 27 constitucional, que proporciona la Dirección General de Asuntos Jurídicos, tanto en las oficinas centrales, como en las Delegaciones foráneas de la Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores, así como cualquier recurso de revisión en contra de las resoluciones emitidas por la Dirección General de Asuntos Jurídicos."

Then in future updates they keep this in place, past the dates above.

In this one, they mention what is now available from SRE, including certified copies of naturalization certificates, renouncing Mexican citizenship, delivery of naturalization certificates in Mexico City only, they are doing passports also which was restored a few months ago, but acceptance of new applications remains suspended.

https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5601385&fecha=29/09/2020

Thanks Scott. Everything you posted was helpful and I now see the chain of DOF entries you referred to. It looks like Sept 29th was the last update to Sexto a) ,which appears to be the relevant language, just as you pointed out.

I did receive a response from them earlier today. They mentioned the same DOF entries as you, and indicated that the process is currently suspended nationwide, and will only be restarted for in person transactions when "the health authority" announces appropriate measures to prevent contagion from in-person activities and the semaphore is green in the office location (either the central SRE office, or the particular state where the remote delegation is located).

He also mentioned that all constancias with expiration dates would still be held to the date printed on the document, and if it has no stated expiration date or validity period, 3 months is what SRE will use as the maximum permissible validity period from the date of issue. In my case that means I need to get my application in to SRE by 07 Jan 2021 or I will need to start over.

• Like 1

I know SRE in Queretaro where I am to submit citizenship applications is closed and when I asked when it may open I was told not this year. 

On 10/21/2020 at 6:39 PM, Travelero said:

Thanks Scott. Everything you posted was helpful and I now see the chain of DOF entries you referred to. It looks like Sept 29th was the last update to Sexto a) ,which appears to be the relevant language, just as you pointed out.

I did receive a response from them earlier today. They mentioned the same DOF entries as you, and indicated that the process is currently suspended nationwide, and will only be restarted for in person transactions when "the health authority" announces appropriate measures to prevent contagion from in-person activities and the semaphore is green in the office location (either the central SRE office, or the particular state where the remote delegation is located).

He also mentioned that all constancias with expiration dates would still be held to the date printed on the document, and if it has no stated expiration date or validity period, 3 months is what SRE will use as the maximum permissible validity period from the date of issue. In my case that means I need to get my application in to SRE by 07 Jan 2021 or I will need to start over.

Could SRE in green state as Campeche  be opened to accept naturalization applications?

Just received my carta de no antecedentes penales (federal). I arrived 10 minutes prior to my appointment to find a long line, so initially I waited in it. Appeared to be mostly upper class central americans. I listened to them talking to the guard as the line moved forward and quickly realized that none of them had a cita. So I raised my voice, said una disculpa, tengo una cita (in only 8 minutes at that point...) and the guard glanced at the printed email and waved me into the metal detector.

The lady on the other side told me I must apagar el celular, and she watched me turn it off. After that I walked into the building, did the temp check and hand sanitizer thing, and awaited the lady at the counter, who was receiving, reviewing, processing, and following up on the cartas all by herself! Here's the process I had to follow, in case anyone else has to attempt this without a translator:

Show the lady at the counter all *copies* of (1) birth certificate + apostille, (2) translated birth certificate, (3) INM card (4) copy of just the photo page of passport. I gave a color copy which she accepted without complaint.

The only original she wanted to see was my INM (residente permanente) card. 

She stapled all of those copies together and put a one-page application page on top, told me to go fill it out and then return to the counter. The form required me to write my name, the date, check which items I had provided (the copies stapled to the form), and under which section of the law I was entitled to get the carta (section B, the first option). Then sign and date.

Then it gets interesting. You give her the form and go sit and wait again. Eventually she brings you a photocopy of what she produced. You must review it, ensure that your name and details are accurate, then return to the counter. Then hand write on the copy near the top "Recibo/recibi el original / [fecha] / [firma]". Then you awkwardly wait for her to find the original she had just produced, she hands it to you and that's it, "que tenga un buen dia, bai".

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are several recent news articles about a soccer player named Rogelio Funes Mori who allegedly began the naturalizacion process in Mexico back in September (of 2020) and says that he anticipates finishing this month. It sounds like he applied based on residency. The articles are of course more focused on the implications for Mexican soccer, not the specific legal process. Still, does anyone know if there's some back door way to get an application started? Beyond "be a famous entertainer/sports personality?"

I'm also wondering, when he claims to have started the process in September, could that mean he was just gathering documents, getting them legalized, and getting his carta de no antecedentes penales? And really he hasn't even applied with SRE yet? If that's the case, maybe his lawyers have inside information and SRE is planning to reopen the tramite later this month....