Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart vs Costco

Justathought

9 hours ago, Travis said:

Could you please post (or send by pm if posting it is forbidden) the info on who's providing this service currently? I used to do my own Costco runs, but don't have a lot of need any more. Just occasional random stuff. And the "Costco Shopper" service provider has changed hands a few times since I've been here. Can't remember who's doing it these days. Thanks!

https://www.lakeside-ss.com/tienda-online

But, it was necessary that the employee sign the employment contract.

This proved to the insurance company that the applicant, in this case the employer, and the beneficiary, the same employer, had an insurable interest.

In any case, the insured, the employee, had to sign an additional document, the health statement or medical examination.

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

Thanks for the link to Costco service.

The couple running this are great.  They inform you by email what time the delivery will be and they are amazingly accurate.  They also take good care of the frozen foods you order.  That is a big one.

Taking into consideration the cost of buying a Costco card, the fuel use and the wear and tear on both the car and the driver, their fees are a very, very good value. 

There's not much disagreement if saying that what they sell is superior to Walmart.

4 minutes ago, gringal said:

The couple running this are great.  They inform you by email what time the delivery will be and they are amazingly accurate.  They also take good care of the frozen foods you order.  That is a big one.

AND if Costco doesn't have an ordered item, but there is a possible alternative, they call to see if you want it.  They are amazing.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Not true. We had key man policies on all our top management.  Authorized in employment contract. 

Yup, and lower ranking employees who are statistically more likely to die fast. Referred to as "dead peasant" policies, done without consent other than what you sign off on in HR when you accept employment. Read the fine print, lol.

57 minutes ago, zerbit said:

Yup, and lower ranking employees who are statistically more likely to die fast. Referred to as "dead peasant" policies, done without consent other than what you sign off on in HR when you accept employment. Read the fine print, lol.

Which is it: done without consent or signed off on in HR when you accept employment? And unless the company is then killing off employees to collect the life insurance,  so what? 

It  is wonderful to  have a Costco delivery service again and it deserves the praise it's received here on this thread. Lakeside Shopping Service is run by three young people--Gerardo, his wife Mackensie, and his sister  Evelyn. They live in Ajijic, are bilingual, bright and efficient. They've listened to some of our suggestions after getting underway and made adjustments to certain charges over the last service we had to our benefit. If you can't or  don't want to drive in to Guad to get to Costco, The Kids will do it for you. (I can't help calling them that.)

Lexy

I'm siding with those who really like our CostCo delivery gang. Especially since Lexy and I got on board right from the beginning and were lucky enough to have some of our suggestions incorporated in their methodology... things that make the delivery superior. Picking the fruit and veg as if it were for themselves, is something they offered. Keeping frozen food frozen instead of just in a cooler bag. Dropping the delivery price that the previous owner had pushed to outrageous heights. I particularly like that they, as mentioned, will call you right from the store if something needs to be swapped. These are great young people, and I am happy to not have to do that miserable drive back and forth.

We paid 950 pesos for Costco executive membership when we came down here two years ago. It has gone up to 1100 and we consider it well worth it. We never, ever shop at Walmart as we don't want to support a company which treats their employees so poorly. We do prefer buying from locally owned stores for most things we buy from paper goods to cat food and litter. But the quality of many things at Costco far outways what we can find locally so we make the 45 minute drive once a month.

From Costco, we regularly buy frozen veggies and chicken, grains and spices, quality cleaning supplies (instead of watered down crap), and beer and wine. We buy some very nice wine for around 90 pesos with the discount we get with the executive membership. We also tend to buy nice gifts for people when they are on sale there as the quality is good and is often not something available in the local community. Just after moving here we bought a rocker chair with a foot stool that everyone who sits in it wants to know where we got it. But it is no longer available at the local stores. So just like other Costco stores, you need to buy some items when you see them as they may be gone next week.

We sign up for Costco at LCS. They come about once a month and you get a 50 peso discount when you sign up there. The first time we had to get our picture made at guest services and pick up our card there. Since then we just renew at LCS. I don't know about the cost of the non-executive membership because we recover far more than the cost of the executive membership in a few visits because it gives us a discount not available with the other memberships. Please note that you need to use the card of the primary account holder in order to get the discount. Non-primary account holders don't get the discount.

We use our Mexican Costco membership card in the US and Canada without any difficulty. The only challenge we have had is when we wanted to use it for Costco Travel to book a cruise. We had to call three times and finally a person knew how to enter our number and set it up in a way that allows us to use Costco Travel now.

Finally, let me reiterate that - as someone who struggled to earn a decent living and was able to retire  in my 50s because I was lucky enough to be hired by decent employers - the way a company treats their employees tells a lot about their morals and qualities. I try to spend my money in keeping with my morals and that is another massive difference in Costco and Walmart. Walmart has a terrible record of how they treat their employees and Costco has a very, very good record.

35 minutes ago, tomwins said:

We paid 950 pesos for Costco executive membership when we came down here two years ago. It has gone up to 1100 and we consider it well worth it. We never, ever shop at Walmart as we don't want to support a company which treats their employees so poorly. We do prefer buying from locally owned stores for most things we buy from paper goods to cat food and litter. But the quality of many things at Costco far outways what we can find locally so we make the 45 minute drive once a month.

From Costco, we regularly buy frozen veggies and chicken, grains and spices, quality cleaning supplies (instead of watered down crap), and beer and wine. We buy some very nice wine for around 90 pesos with the discount we get with the executive membership. We also tend to buy nice gifts for people when they are on sale there as the quality is good and is often not something available in the local community. Just after moving here we bought a rocker chair with a foot stool that everyone who sits in it wants to know where we got it. But it is no longer available at the local stores. So just like other Costco stores, you need to buy some items when you see them as they may be gone next week.

We sign up for Costco at LCS. They come about once a month and you get a 50 peso discount when you sign up there. The first time we had to get our picture made at guest services and pick up our card there. Since then we just renew at LCS. I don't know about the cost of the non-executive membership because we recover far more than the cost of the executive membership in a few visits because it gives us a discount not available with the other memberships. Please note that you need to use the card of the primary account holder in order to get the discount. Non-primary account holders don't get the discount.

We use our Mexican Costco membership card in the US and Canada without any difficulty. The only challenge we have had is when we wanted to use it for Costco Travel to book a cruise. We had to call three times and finally a person knew how to enter our number and set it up in a way that allows us to use Costco Travel now.

Finally, let me reiterate that - as someone who struggled to earn a decent living and was able to retire  in my 50s because I was lucky enough to be hired by decent employers - the way a company treats their employees tells a lot about their morals and qualities. I try to spend my money in keeping with my morals and that is another massive difference in Costco and Walmart. Walmart has a terrible record of how they treat their employees and Costco has a very, very good record.

First Let me apologize for hi jacking an already hi jacked OP...and to recognize everyone has their own opinion ....that said, screwing Walmart for all the world ills , always touches a raw nerve .....whilst WM may not be saintly white, pure as snow etc etc  it does provided an employment  opportunity, with benefits,  for Mexicans .

That said, your statement......"In Keeping with my Morals",   why choose to live in " number one  most corrupt nation like Mexico"....."Mexico has been declared the number one most corrupt nation in the OECD group of countries by the World Economic Forum.The findings are based on a WEF survey of 15,000 business leaders from 141 economies between February and June 2016".

No kidding.. Walmart is a Mexican company and has  many Mexican employees who would not have a job otherwise. Walmart Mexico has to follow the labor laws of Mexico just like does Costco or any other chain.. It seems to be fashionable by do gooders to put down Walmart Mexico like  if it were the same busines as Walmart up north. Yes by moving to Mexico you chose  a corrupt country to move to so you could live  more cheaply so please drop the self righteous attitude.

I was happy to see Soriana move to Chapala moved there and happy to see Walmart when they moved here. They support many local families  and I am happy to shop there so local families have jobs, I also support local shops one does not have to exclude the other . If you like Costco shop there but do not take the moral high ground because you do.

It is the same business as any WalMart in the world, it just lives with the laws of the land. Walmart does the absolute minimum for its staff, globally. Yes, they provide employment, and yes, I shop there all the time: the future is here, friends.

I really don't see the difference between American lobbyists and Walmart Mexican bribery.

Fortunately everyone is free to spend their money where they like. I would rather spend a bit more for some assurance of quality control and safety standards. Remember a number of years ago when the FDA made Walmart stop using one of their major pharmaceutical suppliers because the quality was so poor? Please tell me you don't think Walmart stopped using that company all together. That Walmart Mexico isn't still buying those discounted pills you take from that same supplier.

And I do like the attitude of the employees at Costco. They know they are valued and it shows.

18 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

First Let me apologize for hi jacking an already hi jacked OP...and to recognize everyone has their own opinion ....that said, screwing Walmart for all the world ills , always touches a raw nerve .....whilst WM may not be saintly white, pure as snow etc etc  it does provided an employment  opportunity, with benefits,  for Mexicans .

That said, your statement......"In Keeping with my Morals",   why choose to live in " number one  most corrupt nation like Mexico"....."Mexico has been declared the number one most corrupt nation in the OECD group of countries by the World Economic Forum.The findings are based on a WEF survey of 15,000 business leaders from 141 economies between February and June 2016".

I did not mean to insult you or set off a nerve for you. I made the statement that I choose not to give Walmart my money for my purposes. You disagree with me and that is fine. You seem to have thought I did not understand that all people and businesses have both good and bad. I don't see the world as black and white but as shades of gray. Walmart is not pure evil and I am well aware that some people have jobs because they exist. When US Walmart moved into the south in the 70s they devastated locally owned businesses and even entire downtown areas of small towns. So don't tout that they give communities jobs because I have seen how they destroy entire segments of communities and cause substantial unemployment. Walmart is not evil but they do harm to locally owned stores and shops. I don't blame them for "all the world ills [sic]" but have seen first hand the loss of jobs and business when they move into town.

I live near Jocotepec and a couple of times shopped at Bodega Aurrera until I learned from Mexican friends that they treat their employees even worse than Walmart with lower pay and treatment even though the store is owned by the Walmart corporation. So I stopped going there and instead found all sorts of other places to buy the things I wanted or needed. It became an adventure which has really opened up my experience of living near Jocotepec and other towns.

If each person who bought things at Walmart instead frequented a locally family owned tienda it would support a local family instead of a corporation. We all might find a richer relationship with the community in which we live from seeking out these stores. I see value in a local family having a slightly more successful business than having a corporation become richer. This is what I mean by using my money to express my morals.

I still shop a lot at Costco and will continue to do so because there are some things that can only be found there. Most of my other purchases will be made at a locally owned store and not Walmart. This is the beauty of knowing my moral choices are not a black and white choice but a gray. It isn't perfect but guides me toward doing the best I can in a moment and it likely will evolve into a more refined expression as I learn and do  more. You don't need to agree with me but you don't need to insult me either. I have very close friends who shop at Walmart regularly. They know I don't shop there and why. We respect each other's choices without feeling a need to insult the other's character or choices.

I just know that up north Costco workers are paid quite well but that this is not the case with Walmart workers up north. I heard second hand that the Walmart workers here do not receive as much as do Costco workers here either. 

And yes there is a large group up North who purposely do not shop and Walmart to protest the low wages paid in the US.

Although I hope their efforts produce better working conditions, I go to Walmart upon occasion.

It's ridiculous to think that progress cannot or should not occur. The giant box stores, all of them, not just WalMart, affected the entire retail and wholesale world. One cannot blame WalMart for putting stores out of business, any more than Boing put the Wright Brothers out of business. CostCo had a hugely devestating affect on other retailers: drugstores, hardware stores, liquor stores, butchers, candy stores, auto-mechanics... the list goes on forever. BestBuy, PayLess Shoes, Bed/Bath/Beyond, every single chain restaurant... every single franchised corner store... it's called "today".

Complain about employee policies, sure. Make that your raison d'etre for shopping somewhere. Just don't blame it on industry advancement. We all benefit greatly from better inventory and better prices than we ever would have had. Mr. Henry Ford would be the first to tell you that.

And I truly believe every one of us on this board (even those who I dislike) is adult enough and experienced enough to be aware of what's best for the community, giving our money to local businesses whenever it makes sense. Look at the number of people on this board who have complained about SuperLake's prices. And yet here we have a 100% locally-grown, locally-owned store that the WalMarts cannot even dream of competing with.

Archived