Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart vs Costco

Justathought

I just wish we had a Mega here in Ajijic.  That is my favourite overall.  Clean, fully stocked, helpful employees, a little more expensive than Walmart and Soriana, but I believe is a Mexican-owned store.  The other nice one in Guad. is Chedraui.  It is just getting there that is the problem.

justathought-to answer your question, it really depends on what you are looking for. We shop at Walmart for some things and Costco for other things. We go to Costco once or twice a month. I bought a really nice pair of slippers at Costco on our last visit. Not too expensive and nice quality.

I agree with Xena. -Two different ways of shopping. They are not comparable.

1 hour ago, Arroyos said:

I just wish we had a Mega here in Ajijic.  That is my favourite overall.  Clean, fully stocked, helpful employees, a little more expensive than Walmart and Soriana, but I believe is a Mexican-owned store.  The other nice one in Guad. is Chedraui.  It is just getting there that is the problem.

Mega is owned by Soriana - https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/comercial-mexicana-sells-soriana/

21 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Comercial Mexican [Mega] who once owned 50% of Costco Mexico sold 143 stores to Soriana and Soriana sold 12 of those stores to Chedraui. They still own Comercial Mexicanas, Bodega Comercial Mexicana, La Comer and Megas but not as many as before.

52 minutes ago, Justathought said:

Is there a membership fee for Costco  like NOB ? 

I'm pretty sure Mexican Costco membership is less expensive than US Costco membership.   Not sure about US membership but you can have two unrelated people on one account in Mexico, and add a third person for about 200 pesos more.  I use my Mexico Costco card at US Costco all the time.  One time it turned out my Mexican Costco membership when I tried to use it in the US.  Because I shared the account with someone in Mexico and the US membership cost more, the US Costco gave me a guest pass for the entire length of my stay. 

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

True but the Soriana in Chapala compared to the Mega at the Gallerias is like comparing chalk to cheese.

HaHaHa Totally agree!

I don't know about the Mexican Walmart, but in the US, Walmart is known for make it cheaper, cut out quality control but make it look the same. I learned about their policies at Small Business Chamber of Commerce meetings back in the 90s. People were telling horror stories about selling their products to Walmart who "recommended" their own overseas manufacturers and having the quality go out the window. I would have no reason to think Walmart Mexico buys better quality products. Which is why I don't shop at Walmart. 

13 hours ago, johanson said:

I greatly prefer Costco. I just don't like the 38 mile drive from Ajijic to the closest Costco

When in Seattle, were the downtown Costco is less than 4 miles away, I must at least 3 times per month.

Do you know about the local shopping service run by a couple who has a website where you can order on Monday and have the goods delivered to your door on Wednesday?  No need to even buy a Costco card or drive 38 miles.

May I ask, how does one join Costco in Mexico?  They provide an online information entry and subscription form, but how is the Cosco ID Card produced, presented to the new member and activated, given the situation with the Mexican mail system?  (My scheme is to sign up and be 'carded' during a single visit to the store...)

BIG THANKS

15 hours ago, gringal said:

Do you know about the local shopping service run by a couple who has a website where you can order on Monday and have the goods delivered to your door on Wednesday?  No need to even buy a Costco card or drive 38 miles.

Could you please post (or send by pm if posting it is forbidden) the info on who's providing this service currently? I used to do my own Costco runs, but don't have a lot of need any more. Just occasional random stuff. And the "Costco Shopper" service provider has changed hands a few times since I've been here. Can't remember who's doing it these days. Thanks!

Archived