Chapala.com Webboard

Rental Woes

modeeper

I'd bet a million whatevers almost all of y'all are owners not renters.  But just to vent ...

I've been three years in this pueblo and I'm looking for my 7th rental house.  The rental problems were not really the same in all instances.  Had a guy next door who'd beat his wife late at night.  Had a full on card-caring prozy across from my place who'd bring her sleazy johns home while the children were there.  Then there were ranging, rogue barking, fighting street dogs.  Most of the pain was based in broken promises and/or flat out lying.   The word, in case you don't know, for a landlord or landlady is casaro(a).  Pretty sure that is akin to, home maker.  

Mexicans make good neighbors.  They are polite, helpful and thoughtful ... to their standards, only.  Noise doesn't seem to bother them and it'd be against their nature to complain if it did.  I'm not afraid to complain.  

I love the house I now have, no neighbors, no speaker cars, no traffic.  My nearest neighbor is a horse.  My street has no name. 

So the casera comes to collect the rent, she's a Tapatia, aggressive like a Chilanga.  As soon as the bills were secure in her hand she shouts out, I have to raise your rent, I want to inspect the house every month, I want a one-year contract.  I asked if she'd left something of value in the house, like a grand piano?  There's nothing damageable here apart from taking the lives of some roaches.  Her presentation was enough for me, I gave notice.   There isn't a lot of rentals here.  The town is in a national park, a desirable place to live.  But people here are so very nice to me, I never want to leave, I want to die here. 

A phrase y'all have to learn, if you don't already know it is, a lo chino; you do business like the cheap Chinese.  "Me cobra a lo chino".

A place I just looked at wants me to pay half the CFE bill as their house and the rental are on the same meter (an infraction round here).  There are six in their family and one in mine.  It's not a fortune, it's the realization you're doing business with a person with a twisted sense of fairness.  I had to nix it.

Too bad, so sad.  

14 hours ago, modeeper said:

The town is in a national park, a desirable place to live.  But people here are so very nice to me, I never want to leave, I want to die here.

In real estate it's..... location location location. She owns the house and wants to secure the 'perfect' rental long term. You never want to leave the area you say. Sounds like a reasonable time to secure a long term lease for yourself and not have to worry about those pesky neighbors. But I'm probably not seeing the whole story.....

1 hour ago, Joco said:

Modeeper, check your messages. I sent you the Jalisco Landlord Tenant laws. 

Yeah I saw them.  Thanks.  Thing is I doubt they're universal throughout the nation, maybe on paper.  At the local delegation they told me there are two occasions where a landlord can enter your rental:  If your contract has that clause 2, if a neighbor reports there was a shoot-out or heard a bomb exploitation, or something similar.   Thanx again.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

In real estate it's..... location location location. She owns the house and wants to secure the 'perfect' rental long term. You never want to leave the area you say. Sounds like a reasonable time to secure a long term lease for yourself and not have to worry about those pesky neighbors. But I'm probably not seeing the whole story.....

If she wanted me to say, which I'm sure she does, maybe she could have collected the rent last month in a classy way instead of telling me the bad news seconds after those bills touched her hand.  She is the queen of bitch.  I'm outa here.

15 hours ago, modeeper said:

Yeah I saw them.  Thanks.  Thing is I doubt they're universal throughout the nation, maybe on paper.  At the local delegation they told me there are two occasions where a landlord can enter your rental:  If your contract has that clause 2, if a neighbor reports there was a shoot-out or heard a bomb exploitation, or something similar.   Thanx again.

This was the Jalisco laws, not national. Every state has its own laws. Yes, a landlord can enter for emergencies like a fire or flooding. I was responding to your statement that the landlord wanted to enter for a non-emergency. 

I think she is simply worried that her pet roaches are not well fed.

Yes, I caught that reference to Jalisco after I posted. 

It's disappointing to me how the mentality often works around here.  It's like being early on in a relationship with a guy or gal and she isn't really sure how deep your feelings are.  Then one day you confess your love and BANG .. she starts asking for things, expecting things, taking you for granted.

Once I offered her one year's rent in one lump sum.  I subtracted 140 Pesos per month as the deal was, as I said, a whole year in advance.  She turned it down.  But obviously left with the idea I liked it here.

Modeeper and CG enough of the personal back and forth.  Address the topic and not each other.  There is another local board that welcomes personal sniping and attacks.  If that is your thing, Modeeper, please take it there.

Consider this the last gentle warning.

Archived