Chapala.com Webboard

The Snowbirds are back

jrm30655

I left Salvadors this morning headed home.  I have to turn left onto the Carreterra.

Since the cross road is wide there, I pull up into the center and put on my blinker.  That way, there is enough room for someone turning right to get by me on the right and a full lane on the left for people turning in.  Traffic is heavy and a guy is on my right trying to turn right.  There is still a full lane to my left.

Suddenly, I look up and a woman in a land yacht is turning left off the Carreterra headed directly at both of us.  Where she thought she was going was beyond me, there was plenty of room to my left.

Now, she has a mini gridlock going on, blocking everyone in all directions

I backed up and let her in.  When she passed, I checked the tag.  

Yep, a Snowbird.

I do hope she brought plenty of money to spend and improve the economy.........

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

I left Salvadors this morning headed home.  I have to turn left onto the Carreterra.

Since the cross road is wide there, I pull up into the center and put on my blinker.  That way, there is enough room for someone turning right to get by me on the right and a full lane on the left for people turning in.  Traffic is heavy and a guy is on my right trying to turn right.  There is still a full lane to my left.

Suddenly, I look up and a woman in a land yacht is turning left off the Carreterra headed directly at both of us.  Where she thought she was going was beyond me, there was plenty of room to my left.

Now, she has a mini gridlock going on, blocking everyone in all directions

I backed up and let her in.  When she passed, I checked the tag.  

Yep, a Snowbird.

I do hope she brought plenty of money to spend and improve the economy.........

I have run into very rude newcomers here in the past couple of weeks - thought it might just be a coincidence but now it seems it's more than a harmless blip - there are a lot of people coming down for reasons that have nothing to do with loving Mexico and its culture ..... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My party of 4 had to change tables at a restaurant last week because the tourists at the next table were talking so loud (yelling, basically) the whole restaurant was forced to listen to their conversation. As I got up to move, I said to them quietly that they were incredibly loud. Later as I was passing by their table after going to the ladies, one of the guys motioned me over, saying that they were celebrating an anniversary. He actually felt this was a viable excuse to dominate the airwaves. I told him that probably half the people in the restaurant were out celebrating something and that his attitude was unbelievably entitled.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Does this explain pretty much every Saturday night at Cocinart, wherein they usually have a table of 10-14 people along the west wall, having pre-drunk, then dinner-drunk, then dessert drunk? The decibel level gets so high with the poor acoustics, added to the constant thrum of the bass end of the music from the dessert place to which it is attached, that I really don't like it there anymore. Dinner out should be relaxing, not a noise contest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The loud table next to us consisted of only 2 couples and they didn't seem drunk, yet. One of the guys sounded like he was talking through a megaphone. It baffles me why so many Americans talk so loud. I've seen them in little Mexican stores asking for something in English. When the shopgirl obviously doesn't understand, they just repeat it louder, as if they think she's deaf or retarded. They seem not to be aware that they are in a foreign country where English is not the official language.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

35 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

The loud table next to us consisted of only 2 couples and they didn't seem drunk, yet. One of the guys sounded like he was talking through a megaphone. It baffles me why so many Americans talk so loud. I've seen them in little Mexican stores asking for something in English. When the shopgirl obviously doesn't understand, they just repeat it louder, as if they think she's deaf or retarded. They seem not to be aware that they are in a foreign country where English is not the official language.

Gee, I've been baffled by more than a few Canadians and, gasp, Mexicans too, wondering why they need to talk so loudly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, rckrckr said:

Gee, I've been baffled by more than a few Canadians and, gasp, Mexicans too, wondering why they need to talk so loudly. 

Well, there are people from every country who talk loudly, but American tourists seem to have a corner on the market. I'm originally American, born and bred, so I'm allowed to say that :-)

Mexican men, when working on a construction site, tend to yell when talking to each other even when they are not working that far apart from each other (I think a lot of them are actually hearing impaired from the high decibel music they've grown up with). And loud when partying. But I've never noticed them being loud when eating at a nice restaurant.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Often hard to tell who is US v. CDN, but I do agree gringo snowbird groups can be very loud and ruin the dining experience for others.  The old stereotypes that "Canadians are quiet and polite" and "Americans are loud and obnoxious" no longer apply, if they ever did.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, gringal said:

Maybe a lot of them are hearing impaired.

The positive side:  Without the Snowbirds, we probably wouldn't have such a variety of decent restaurants.  They probably keep the books balanced.

B)

They do help support the economy, although not as much as in the past.  More than anything else, they bring new topics of conversation.  I dearly love listening to them bitch about things NOB

I went to dinner the other night and noticed that the prices were up about 10%.  When the bill came, I noticed that I got the old price.  When I asked the owner, he winked and said "Snowbird prices".

And, no, I'm not going to tell you where this happened.......

• Haha 1

Went to dinner with 2 snowbird couples staying at our BnB some years ago. We went to Tony's and both other couples had exactly the same orders. The bill came and one was 1 peso less than the other when totaled up. "Hey, how can this be, you charged us more than them"? The quick thinking waiter grabbed both checks, stared at them, and then raised the one up a peso to be even. I tried but could not contain my mirth. The snowbirds did not have the ability to also laugh like heck at what was obviously a big ado about nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrm30655 said:

I went to dinner the other night and noticed that the prices were up about 10%.  When the bill came, I noticed that I got the old price.  When I asked the owner, he winked and said "Snowbird prices".

And, no, I'm not going to tell you where this happened.......

So since I am probably not a regular at this place, I would no doubt get charged the so-called snowbird prices. What utter B.S.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1