Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, or other Grappling?

Sorn

Okay, I recognize this is kind of a weird one. But my wife and I plan on moving lakeside in a year and some change. I started taking Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes stateside about a year ago and have really enjoyed them. They're great for staying in shape, keeping the mind sharp, and remaining humble. I'm wondering whether there are similar classes available down there. I'm not beholden to Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Any type of practical grappling would be cool: jiu-jitsu (Japanese or Brazilian), judo, sambo, wrestling, mixed martial arts, and I'm sure there are others.  The google-machine shows a couple places in Guadalajara but that's a bit of a drive. Thanks in advance for any responsive information!

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Joe Carrier said:

Can anyone confirm the Jiu Jitsu school is still there?  I would love more information on the school, maybe a website or the name?  We may be moving next year and this will help me decide

As of the last time I drove down Gonzalez Gallo, the school was still there, but hat is true today may change tomorrow. Next year? LOL!

• Like 1

Hey there! I was the original poster for this thread oh-so-long-ago and am living down here now. The jiu jitsu situation is, uh, complicated. To answer your question: yes, the place in Chapala seems to be there. However, it appears to be gi-only, and, more problematically, oriented towards children. That's cool but wrecking kids isn't exactly what I'm looking to do, nor consistent with the reputation I wish to develop. :)

Last week, though, I met a guy in a San Antonio bar who said he trained for about 10 years before quitting a year ago. He tried to explain how to contact his former school, which is also in/near San Antonio. But, get this, he said I couldn't really call or go there directly because they're almost never open. Instead, I need to find a bread store because the guy who works there also teaches classes at the school. He'd know when the classes were and could help me out. The problem is that, while the bread store was allegedly just down the street, there's no sign. It's basically just some woman's kitchen. I can't seem to find the bread store, nor have I ran into the guy again.

The guy from the bar also said there's another place which, while it does not teach jiu jitsu, specifically, does teach other martial arts. He was complimentary of it as a rival school. I think it is Do No Kai Martial Arts Temple Academy, which is a bit north of Chapala.

Another guy, who works out but doesn't train anything, recommended asking at the gym above El Torito in Ajijic.

Hope that helps. Wish I could provide more concrete info. I'm working on it.