Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican investments questions

gdl80

Hi, 

I'm researching ways to invest a large capital sum in Mexico. It would be sent from Europe.

Can you share your investment experiences/recommendations for larger sums of money in Mexico. I am looking at O'Rourke investment funds as a possibility. Any experience with them? Also read that some people use Multiva and Actinver bank for investments. Are these safe? 

My main concern is how safe is it to have a large amount of money is in a Mexican bank/ investment fund without it getting stolen (through an inside job mainly) 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have investments with Bancomer Banco Patrimonial as of June 2015. If given the opportunity to go back in time I would have used Multiva. This reason for this is that they have a local branch so if you have a question you can walk right in to their office as opposed to Bancomer Banco Patrimonial which has no local presence.

Also, as Mainecoons pointed out, there is no safeguards. In addition, I have been following the events in Spain with the Catalonia issue, this as Bancomer is jointly owned by BBVA (spanish bank) who also happen to own 2 Catalunian banks....

Bottom line is invest what you can afford to lose.

yes you have country risk , and currency risk.

mexico is very stable.

first ask your bank what fee do you charge to hold my money

hsbc 1% actinver .6  multiva .4. ON CETES

I HAVE A INVESTMENT WITH MULTIVA IN A 1 YEAR

FLEXIBLE CD GETTING 7.68% WITH NO .4 FEE

DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED.

There is a government protection scheme in mexico.don't think it includes fraud though. Good advice from traderspoc.

Most Americans are paranoid about the banks here. 

Just a word of caution. I had auk bank account for 30 years with rbs.when I moved here 5 years ago they suddenly closed it!.

Have managed OK without it but a bit of a pia!

Of course currency devaluation is something to consider, but that and other events such as revolution, nuclear apocalypse apart, I'm thinking more of bank fraud within the bank as some people have experienced here due to rogue employees siphoning money away from gringos accounts. I read a case from last year about a bank employee downloading the banks app to transfer money fraudulently from customer account to their own. I would hope that would some good security such as changing passwords, pin number etc it would minimize this sort of threat. I hope generally this sort of fraud isn't too common.

Cetes are an attractive option with current rates...

And Multiva seems like a reputable bank as they come in Mexico....

of course property might be a more secure investment as long as there are no property crashes...

risk is all around us..

1 hour ago, barcelonaman said:

There is a government protection scheme in mexico.don't think it includes fraud though. Good advice from traderspoc.

Most Americans are paranoid about the banks here. 

Just a word of caution. I had auk bank account for 30 years with rbs.when I moved here 5 years ago they suddenly closed it!.

Have managed OK without it but a bit of a pia!

Barcaman, they closed the account? Did it have money in it? What happened to the money? I lived here 10 years ago but my UK HSBC account was fine during my few years living in Mexico

Yes totally out of the blue and had good amount of money in it. Was a current account and used to get my pension deposited in it.

They said because it wasnt my main account it was no longer policy to ex pat accounts. (had11 years in spain then here.)impossible to open another uk account without living there.

Was quite a big stink about it in the newspapers at the time. Twats.!

3 hours ago, gdl80 said:

Hi, 

I'm researching ways to invest a large capital sum in Mexico. It would be sent from Europe.

Can you share your investment experiences/recommendations for larger sums of money in Mexico. I am looking at O'Rourke investment funds as a possibility. Any experience with them? Also read that some people use Multiva and Actinver bank for investments. Are these safe? 

My main concern is how safe is it to have a large amount of money is in a Mexican bank/ investment fund without it getting stolen (through an inside job mainly) 

Why on earth would you wish to invest in Peso's???

Your research should show  you how badly it's performance has been.....But I guess we should identify what currency you have???

And if Obrador gets elected next year the Peso will nose dive

52 minutes ago, gdl80 said:

Of course currency devaluation is something to consider...

Cetes are an attractive option with current rates...

of course property might be a more secure investment as long as there are no property crashes...

risk is all around us..

A couple of years ago I was visiting Lakeside for the first time and simultaneously thinking of buying some 'udibonos' (analog of US 'TIPS', if I understand correctly), all while the MXN was hitting 20 per USD for the first time.  I decided instead to buy a small lot offered in pesos in a new neighborhood with terrific views and mostly buried utilities to not obstruct the vistas, and may build once the internet arrives in full glory. But to capture the depressed value of the MXN, I have enough pesos in my forex account to pay for the house already, and Cetes or 'Bonos also can make a lot of sense.  But until this NAFTA nonsense is resolved the peso could be a problem.  Great thing about forex is how cheap it is to trade decent sums and keep yourself hedged in real time.

Without endorsement, see: http://www.finamex.com.mx/the-visionary/soy-inversionista/invertir-en-cetes-o-en-udibonos/  

I also spoke with the chap at O'Rourke earlier this year, and my impression was that it is a smaller outfit, and rates etc. on offer were not exceptional.  Might give good specialized service, though.

Be careful fear and misinformation is all around us.

NAFTA gets renegotiated and services open up in mexico.   Mexico economy will take off.

There a great people with great minds negotiating NAFTA.  Trumps tweets will have little effect on NAFTA.

HOPEFULLY NAFTA  gets done before MARCH 2018

MEXICO HAS LESS DEBT THAN USA, better financial controls

It seems that peso devaluation is more of a concern listening to you guys rather than bank fraud. I'm still in the early stages of research so don't have answers to all my questions (obviously) but reading your comments helps. Thanks..

I'll look into expat accounts next and see whats available for the UK too.

4 hours ago, gdl80 said:

It seems that peso devaluation is more of a concern listening to you guys rather than bank fraud. I'm still in the early stages of research so don't have answers to all my questions (obviously) but reading your comments helps. Thanks..

I'll look into expat accounts next and see whats available for the UK too.

So pray which currency are you fleeing from!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

So pray which currency are you fleeing from!!!!!!

With the Brexit situation the pound has had a rough year and a half but it's still fairly strong against the peso. Once out of the EU, who knows how the UK will fair? Mexico on the other hand has advanced quite a bit (economically at least) since 2005 when I was living there. 

Looks like you transferring pounds. The fx rate was down a couple of moths ago due to mainly brexit problems by has now gone 25 plus.due to peso seeking a bit and possible interest rate rises in UK.

Whilst you have UK bank account keep plenty there and your investment s.maybe put some in Cetes here to cover inflation which is above 6 percent but in reality is much more.

Due to circumstances previously explained all mine is in various banks in Cetes any various term high interest accounts. Just think stock market is due a fall.

House prices are looking good here

Marmite importation recommended as well !

3 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Looks like you transferring pounds. The fx rate was down a couple of moths ago due to mainly brexit problems by has now gone 25 plus.due to peso seeking a bit and possible interest rate rises in UK.

Whilst you have UK bank account keep plenty there and your investment s.maybe put some in Cetes here to cover inflation which is above 6 percent but in reality is much more.

Due to circumstances previously explained all mine is in various banks in Cetes any various term high interest accounts. Just think stock market is due a fall.

House prices are looking good here

Marmite importation recommended as well !

Buying properties and renting them out is an option I'm looking at. 

Cetes is another which is why I'm interested in finding out about peoples experiences with banks etc (such as Multiva) 

Would you be interested in investing a new startup business here?

Without going into full details I can send you a pm explaing the project.briefly its special steel importation and sold to expanding automotive and mould making industry here.I have 45 years experience and buying  agreements in place.  Salesman with existing customers to come on board.Two different scenarios. Min investment around 50,000 USD max around 300000 USD to maximize profit..extremely low risk.hands on or off.

Archived