Chapala.com Webboard

Crackdown on Golf Carts

On 3/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, moderator-2 said:

Let's stick to the topic of golf carts on local streets here.

Last time I looked at a golf cart going by, Putin wasn't driving it.

Thanks.

Putin ?  that was dumb--HA-  sorry to offend an almighty moderator--Please forgive my insolence of authority---HA

1 minute ago, bobby brown said:

Putin ?  that was dumb--HA-  sorry to offend an almighty moderator--Please forgive my insolence of authority---HA

This blog will now be closed--Last word-- Mejico will be the last country  in the world to fall to the "ONE WORLD ORDER"-- VIVA  MEJICO--BOBBY BROWN-just another Mexicaaan--" Danny Trevo-"Machete"-!

13 minutes ago, bobby brown said:

This blog will now be closed--Last word-- Mejico will be the last country  in the world to fall to the "ONE WORLD ORDER"-- VIVA  MEJICO--BOBBY BROWN-just another Mexicaaan--" Danny Trevo-"Machete"-!

Selensky is just a puppet installed by the CIA - a punk comedian--HA--You think he can go up against Putin ?--Old KBG--get real---HA

On 2/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, GDouglas said:

I think more than one chess move ahead, bud... (see below).

Being in my mid-to-late fourties, I'm a relative youngster of a snowbird which means I will see multiple yo-yo rebound effects of infrastructure.

Change often has lagbehind effects.  A great example is China that had lots of bicycles in 1970s then they bulldozed that to build freeways all over and removed cycle infrastructure.  And car boomed.  

Then the equilibrium overshot, and now the Chinese are building Amsterdam cycle infrastructure in parts of Beijing and Sgenhanghi crazy fast like kudzu.  You see a lot of new Amsterdam-style bike infrastructure in some China cities that didn't exist 5 years ago.  

Yes, the ill effects to be acknowledged, and yes, non-democratic -- but it's like a tape playing back America infrastructure boom at about 5x-10x speed.  And you saw the bikeshare boom and piles of discarded bike (they manufactured too many) though now it's rebounded to a more healthy equilibrium than yesteryear's 11-day freeway gridlock talked about all over the news back then years ago.  Literally, they're racing 100 years of progress in a mere 20 years literally.  More bike infra.   The speed they've run their devleopment and mistakes is incredible (ghost cities et al) but led to a lot of wins for their society (huge freeway system, huge highspeed train system, good subway networks in major cities, etc). 

Not that we should copycat them, Mexico's pace is far slower, but they do still yo-yo around an equilibrium.  But they're following a similar path, though vehicle-miles-driven-per-capita will have more lagbehind effect (it will stabilize in 10-20 years from now, then decline per capita like it already started in America/Canada).  

us-car-miles-per-capita.jpg

[Edit]
Even in newer graphs that stretches out to 2020, it's falling again.  It's stabilized to an equilibrium.

Per Cpaital Vmt Chart 2018 Cu

Car count is not really going down, but USA population is going up.  That's why this graph is happening.  Freeways are no longer getting wider, being landlocked by houses on both sides.  So, pressure pain point causes this graph.  More people buying urban condos, or simply reducing 2 cars to 1 car because they got Uber app (yay) or whatever.  Or bikes.  You get the idea.  

But Mexico has not peaked yet -- it will be probably 10-20 years into the future. 

Still feasibly something I watch with popcorn playing out within my lifetime, who knows?

No, traffic will not decrease, but because of the population boom, carcount will stagnate on a non-widened Ciclopisto (throttled by traffic inconvenience) while users of Ciclopisto will boom in 5,10,20 years from now.   Roll the dice on whatever the hell numbers you prefer, but you get the general idea of long term view.

My current prediction is that the government will continue to refuse to widen the Carterra, so the multigenerational pressure pain points will bear out from my age 47 to my age 80s, a long enough lifespan to potentially se a lot of things play out in society.

We might still yet own a car -- (I own one in Canada).  We do have a two car garage (with room for a 3rd car if needed) -- but it is not an aspiration of mine to keep owning.

Wild infrastructure swings do not happen in Mexico though.  Mexico has its own pace (that lagbehinds North America) and while automobiles will intensify, this may not be true 100 years from now, there might be half as many autos, even if the area has not "copenhagenized" in a matter of speaking (to borrow the word that cycle lobbies use).    Some things do skip a few society development stages (like how Africa skipped landlines and went straight to everybody-owns-mobilephones).

Watching civilization develops and yo-yos back and forth (overshooting such as automobilizing too much and then decades later, bouncing back to a more equilibrium).  The equlibrium swings wildly over the decades.

An example is international agreements may phase out ICE cars (whether or not we like those agreements).  The electric vehicles tend to be more expensive than ICE cars (at least initially), so fewer people will share vehicles per household, so that's a countervailing effect (might not affect this area of Mexico until about 20-30 years later, given how slow cars wear out in this area).   

The interacting factors will lead to a new equilibrium that may be fewer cars per capita, and more bicycles.  It won't be Copenhagen probably, but it would compensate for the lack of ability to widen the Carterra to 4 lanes, when painpoints of continuous congestion creates spillover effects of more use of Ciclopisto -- that happened to some corridors of certain North America cities.  Car use unchanged but bike use increased in some jurisdictions.  There

I expect no different for Mexico -- I agree we'll see more cars and worse traffic per capita in the near term -- I agree.  It may or may not stay that way in fifty years from now.  But the slow long-term population growth of the Lakeside will probably ensure traffic stays bad (even if per-capita car ownership gyrates a bit and then bounces back down).   

In a unbaised NPOV view -- for a long time, people like me won't make any dent, but eventually the equilibrium is reached, and then people like me starts a new equilibrium when the painpoint of driving exceeds the painpoint of cycling, etc.  Whatever infra jurisdiction "A" or "B" choses to build, will forever shift around the equilibrium point like a punching bag.   Although some of us gringoes try to influence the direction, it's important to respect the will of the Mexicans.  Granted, salaries are going up at a faster % rate than America/Canadian salaries (starting from a super-low base), so car ownership undoubtedly will boom to a new equilibrium.

Ironically -- funnily enough -- most mexican streetdogs seem to apparently respect the Cyclopisto more than most humans -- I've seen dogs look both ways before crossing roads and Cyclopisto. 

True, there's some double plus ungood dogs out there.  I didn't say "all dogs"... 😃

On a more serious note -- the dog rescue are trying to pick them up but the shelter is full.  Some shelters often pick up one street dog immediately after somebody else adopts a dog in the shelter.   (See more on this shelter adoption page)

It's rather interesting how some of the dogs here in Mexico actually learned street smarts that most North American dogs don't have.  For some reason most don't like walking on the hot Ciclopisto surface, which scorches their paws -- most like to walk flush sidewalk along buildings, or in shaded corridors.  So most stray dog-crossing events on Ciclopisto is perpendicular to my bike path (i.e. to get to the other side).

While this is certainly an area of legitimate discussion in other threads, there are numerous other more important weak links in the chain of dangers on Ciclopisto. 

While meritworthy discussion, I think I need to fork this off to a new general-purpose transportation infrastructure thread...

Alice in Wonderland, we've somehow fallen into a deep rabbit hole in this thread.  🙂

I feel the same in Vallarta--the money is moving in--Been here for 15 years and how things have grown-- I think it's time for me to move on-------Inflation ? yea it's here--the solution, unfortunatly, is to buy less--I'm old so I can get buy with buying less--Bobby Brown--