Chapala.com Webboard

Using credit cards in Ajijic/Lakeside

Do any restaurants or other establishments allow one to use credit cards in Ajijic/Lakeside now?  While visiting in 2014 I was unable to use them at all.  I realize not all establishments will accept them.  I'm on my way down and am looking for current information regarding which, if any, establishments in the area now accept major credit cards.  Thanks!

More and more stores accept credit cards and I use them BUT only if they use a chip reader in front of me. I see more and more eateries with cc signs,  but I would hesitate to use my cc anywhere without a chip reader AND anywhere that the card goes out of my sight (i.e., whisked away from my table). 

21 minutes ago, cedros said:

Be very cautiousl when using you CC here.

You must have a Mexican credit card. US cards have the same protection against fraud, 0$ loss, no matter what country you live in or use it in.

OP, many restaurants take them, but most required the tip to be in cash.

39 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

More and more stores accept credit cards and I use them BUT only if they use a chip reader in front of me. I see more and more eateries with cc signs,  but I would hesitate to use my cc anywhere without a chip reader AND anywhere that the card goes out of my sight (i.e., whisked away from my table). 

EXCELLENT advice!

5 minutes ago, hensley said:

Don't many places charge extra for using a credit card?

I had local furniture store tell me the usually charged 3%, but then quickly said, not this time :lol:

Make sure you have a cc that does NOT have foreign transaction fees...most of the newest latest ones do not.  I have a few old ones in my wallet that DO charge FTF, so I don't use them outside the US.  

1 minute ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Make sure you have a cc that does NOT have foreign transaction fees...

CapitalOne 360, an on-line only bank does not with either credit or debit and credit cards have a 1 1/2% rebate. Need a US address, but can fund the account electronically.  https://www.capitalone.com

13 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

CapitalOne 360, an on-line only bank does not with either credit or debit and credit cards have a 1 1/2% rebate. Need a US address, but can fund the account electronically.  https://www.capitalone.com

More risk exposure with a debit/ATM card than a cc. 

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

How to Limit Your Losses

The Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) and the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA) offer protection if your credit, ATM, or debit cards are lost or stolen.

Credit Card Loss or Fraudulent Charges

Under the FCBA, your liability for unauthorized use of your credit card tops out at $50. However, if you report the loss before your credit card is used, the FCBA says you are not responsible for any charges you didn’t authorize. If your credit card number is stolen, but not the card, you are not liable for unauthorized use.

ATM or Debit Card Loss or Fraudulent Transfers.

If you report an ATM or debit card missing before someone uses it, the EFTA says you are not responsible for any unauthorized transactions. If someone uses your ATM or debit card before you report it lost or stolen, your liability depends on how quickly you report it:

If you report: Your maximum loss:
Before any unauthorized charges are made. $0
Within 2 business days after you learn about the loss or theft. $50
More than 2 business days after you learn about the loss or theft, but less than 60 calendar days after your statement is sent to you, $500
More than 60 calendar days after your statement is sent to you. All the money taken from
your ATM/debit card acount, and possibly more; for example, money in accounts linked to your debit account.

If someone makes unauthorized transactions with your debit card number, but your card is not lost, you are not liable for those transactions if you report them within 60 days of your statement being sent to you.

2 hours ago, dorisb said:

Here is a list of restaurants where I have used an American credit card without additional fees along with the last date I used a card there.  Some may have discontinued accepting cards since my last visit.

image.png.311c39bfd7c1cc55562d22bd4877ece0.png

Wow - thank you so much @dorisb for this detailed list - this is really helpful!  You have definitely gone above and beyond and it is much appreciated!

And thanks to everyone for responding to my inquiry!

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

If an item in the store is priced at 200 pesos and I pay cash, I pay 200 pesos. Where's the discount?

Check your bill carefully and you will se the 2%. Costco has an additional discount via a coupon receipt.

Archived