Chapala.com Webboard

Drivers compensated for pothole damage

Aquaponicsman

Doesn't help us, but we are out more than that much per car from potholes in Riberas.

Drivers compensated for pothole damage

México state municipality pays up to 7,000 pesos for vehicle damage

News October 5

There is some consolation for victims of pothole damage in one municipality in the state of México. The local government of Naucalpan — located within the metropolitan area of greater FULL STORY

Any time you are driving on the cuota (toll road), you are given a receipt when you pay your toll.  Don't just crumple it up and put it in with your car trash.  That receipt is an insurance policy that covers damage to your vehicle caused by the condition of the road.  Several years ago, I was driving from Morelia, Michoacán to Guadalajara and hit a pothole; the edge of the pothole ripped the sidewall of my driver's side front tire, one of those run-while-flat tires.  I stopped at the next toll booth (Ocotlán, Jalisco) and told the attendant what had happened.  She called the adjustor, who arrived within minutes and shook his head over the deplorable condition of the autopista (big highway).  He called the Ocotlán repair shop affiliated with the highway insurance.  The repair shop sent a flatbed truck, loaded my car onto it, and took the car, my passenger, and me to the repair shop and subsequently took me and my passenger to the Ocotlán bus station and they (not we) paid for our bus tickets home.

Due to the type of tire and the time of year (it was the week before Christmas), it took about two weeks to find and replace the tire.  The repair shop called to say it was ready, we bought a one-way ETN ticket to Guadalajara (the nearest ETN stop), and persuaded the bus driver to let us off at the Ocotlán toll booth.  I called the repair shop, they came immediately to pick us up, took us to the shop, we inspected the car and the new tire, and we were on our way in just a few minutes.  

The total cost was over 6000 pesos.  We paid only the cost of the bus ticket to retrieve the car in Ocotlán.  Hang onto your toll receipts!

Archived