Chapala.com Webboard

Wiring home for internet connectivity

39 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

No wiring. Just a modem given to you when you apply for Internet. 48 hours or less and should be working assuming you already have a landline phone in use. If you don't already have an active phone line, the wait could be much longer.

Worst case scenario, if a landline is not in existence, would this generally take weeks or months to install?  Thanks for your input @Al Berca.

I think your getting confused between "Phone Line" and "phone Number" I have a phone line/wiring in my place but I can't get a phone number or Internet service because Telmex tells me there no phone numbers or Internet connections available in Ajijic. I am on a waiting list,  the wait time depends on how many subscribers give up their phone/internet service.

3 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

I think your getting confused between "Phone Line" and "phone Number" I have a phone line/wiring in my place but I can't get a phone number or Internet service because Telmex tells me there no phone numbers or Internet connections available in Ajijic. I am on a waiting list,  the wait time depends on how many subscribers give up their phone/internet service.

I was unaware of this issue of "no phone numbers or Internet connections available in Ajijic".  May I ask how long you have been waiting, and how long you expect to be waiting?

I have been on the waiting list for 2 weeks now.  Telmex told me they don't know how long it will take.  Someone has to give up their phone number for someone else to get it.. The tenant that moved from my place took the phone number and Internet service to her new place...

If you are in a real hurry for service you could try and buy a number from someone.. People do sell their phone numbers.. 

17 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

How is telecable compared to Telmex?

I use Telmex and do not watch cable TV, so I have no experience (thankfully) with Telecable. I hear their speed is greater than Telmex in some areas, when it works. Some have both when they just have to have internet.

Generally, Telecable has had faster internet service, but more frequent outages.  Of course, you can bundle a TV package too.

Lately, according to postings here and elsewhere, Telmex DSL seems to have been over-sold and overwhelmed.  Phone service is good though & includes free calling to the US & Canada.

Archived