Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone have a cook?

In my 55 years I have never cooked. I'm tarded in that area. I tried to make one of those blue boxes of Mac n cheese one time and it wasn't pretty. 

My ex husband fed me for 24 years then I turned to delivery, eating out, and frozen diet dinners. I supplemented with fast food when I felt I was becoming too healthy. 

Since I really can only manage one meal out a day here and have no frozen dinner options I was thinking of hiring someone to cook for me. 

Does anyone know how to find one, what the going rate is, and how to set up shopping with one? 

21 minutes ago, tomgates said:

I know someone and will check on that.

Thanks. By a few private emails and the post from bezerk above, it seems like there are other's who could use some home cooked meals. I was thinking along the lines of a single mother who come make some money and take part of the meals home for her and kids. I wouldn't mind youngsters being brought to my home with Mom if she didn't have daycare/family help.  I just don't know how the logistics of menu planning and ingredient shopping would be.  A couple of people have suggested meal sharing if I find someone and that sounds like a great idea too. It is just figuring out how to make it work. Thanks again!

Nice idea, Camille, but some people really don't have any interest in cooking (hard to believe for those that do). I can and do, cook perfectly well, but there is nothing about it that I enjoy. At any given moment I can think of about a hundred other things I'd rather be doing. My kids' big compliment to me used to be, Wow, Mom, you didn't burn the rice tonight. Even though I can prepare very tasty and healthy full course meals, it bores me to tears- I usually wander off to do something else, hence burnt pots.

Something else to consider a few times a week - both the Monday and Tuesday Markets have a variety of home-cooked meals in single or double servings at reasonable prices. Many can be frozen. This might be a good option for a change.

Finding someone who knows how to cook other than fairly basic Mexican food is going to be tricky. Maybe look for someone who has worked in a restaurant?

Chef Andrew is an excellent chef 331-517-8930  You might see if he would be willing to make up some meals which you could freeze, your own personal TV dinners. A lot of the restaurants will do take out meals mix that in with the various markets and you could have an interesting, although not cheap menu.

Now I'm reminded why I live at the Penthouse in Riberas.  I am free to garden, paint, walk the dog, swim in the pool and soak in the hot tub while someone else shops, prepares, cooks and then washes the dishes.  We're served two meals a day, six days a week with healthy and incredibly delicious food.  The variety is outstanding with many meals from around the world.  Life at Lakeside couldn't get any better.

6 hours ago, sue said:

Chef Andrew is an excellent chef 331-517-8930  You might see if he would be willing to make up some meals which you could freeze, your own personal TV dinners. A lot of the restaurants will do take out meals mix that in with the various markets and you could have an interesting, although not cheap menu.

...and he prepares the BEST Chicken Pot Pies! :)

The person I know told me that their person cooks the main meal, comida, 5 days a week and does the housekeeping of the main house and casitas. He does the main shopping but she goes with him to the weekly tiangas because she gets better prices than he. He pays her $1500p per week. He is also paying for her education to be a certified home care giver. 

35 minutes ago, tomgates said:

The person I know told me that their person cooks the main meal, comida, 5 days a week and does the housekeeping of the main house and casitas. He does the main shopping but she goes with him to the weekly tiangas because she gets better prices than he. He pays her $1500p per week. He is also paying for her education to be a certified home care giver. 

THANK YOU tomgates for getting back to the subject at hand and answering the question that was asked. I'm sure if  OP wanted take-out etc. options, that would have been the direction her query would have taken!

14 minutes ago, tomgates said:

My only concern regarding all the frozen entree and other "home cooked" items sold around here is the conditions under which they are prepared.

I read your earlier post, weeks ago now, about proper treatment of prepared food to kill bacteria. When I started paying attention, I realized that I was getting mild food poisoning at least one a week with bigger flare ups maybe monthly. It was such a constant condition, I stopped thinking of it as unusual. Sometimes it was only headaches with minor gastric symptoms, but just all the time. It was a complete mystery to me, because I've never had these issues.

I used to be a huge consumer of the frozen home cooked, or restaurant prepared, food at Superlake and the local organic markets. I went cold turkey and just stopped buying anything home made. It's been months.. well, however long since you wrote the detailed post, I haven't had one instance of food poisoning.

I've talked to a few friends who have had similar problems. Just an alert to pay attention and be careful.

1 hour ago, Sea said:

I read your earlier post, weeks ago now, about proper treatment of prepared food to kill bacteria. When I started paying attention, I realized that I was getting mild food poisoning at least one a week with bigger flare ups maybe monthly. It was such a constant condition, I stopped thinking of it as unusual. Sometimes it was only headaches with minor gastric symptoms, but just all the time. It was a complete mystery to me, because I've never had these issues.

I used to be a huge consumer of the frozen home cooked, or restaurant prepared, food at Superlake and the local organic markets. I went cold turkey and just stopped buying anything home made. It's been months.. well, however long since you wrote the detailed post, I haven't had one instance of food poisoning.

I've talked to a few friends who have had similar problems. Just an alert to pay attention and be careful.

Thought it was just me. Interesting its not.

It isn't just you.  There are some take out items I've tried at the various markets and some restaurants that I can count on to reliably deliver bugs.  We're on our own here with little or no official inspection.  Your best bet is probably having the food prepared in your own kitchen, but you'd need to be observant of the cleanliness standards of the cook you hire, too.

Archived