Chapala.com Webboard

Where to find buttermilk?

ManxMan

Years ago a friend would buy a box (or maybe a bag) of powdered buttermilk at Superlake. She would reconstitute whatever amount she needed. It was much cheaper than buying the buttermilk as needed. Don't know if they still sell it or where it might be located. Perhaps Walmart might have it?

Ms Margarita, who sells Artesanal Dark and White Cholacolate products, also sells Buttermilk on Mondays at Sunrise Restaurant's Monday Market. Her Buttermilk  with Probiotics is of higher quality. 

Ms Margarita's cellphone number is 332-163-8234. A very nice and accomodating lady.

Gooluck with your wife's recipe ManxMan!

nb: it is called suero de la leche according to google translate :)

I have bought the powdered buttermilk at SuperLakes (and back in the US, too).  I have very good results with it in cakes and other baked goods.  I like that it has a long shelf life.  Often all I need for a recipe is a cup or less.  If I buy fresh buttermilk much of it goes to waste as neither of us cares for it straight from the bottle.  

Adding vinegar or lemon juice to milk does not make buttermilk.  It makes a quazi buttermilk substitute, but won't have the same taste.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I have bought the powdered buttermilk at SuperLakes (and back in the US, too).  I have very good results with it in cakes and other baked goods.  I like that it has a long shelf life.  Often all I need for a recipe is a cup or less.  If I buy fresh buttermilk much of it goes to waste as neither of us cares for it straight from the bottle.  

Adding vinegar or lemon juice to milk does not make buttermilk.  It makes a quazi buttermilk substitute, but won't have the same taste.  

If you like to drink it straight up I agree. I just made 3/4 cup yesterday for use in a blueberry muffin recipe. Everyone liked them so much they're gone today. If you can find the real stuff or powdered, by all means go for it. If not, homemade beats going without.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

If you like to drink it straight up I agree. I just made 3/4 cup yesterday for use in a blueberry muffin recipe. Everyone liked them so much they're gone today. If you can find the real stuff or powdered, by all means go for it. If not, homemade beats going without.

Not to quibble, but you are not making homemade buttermilk.  You are making a substitute for buttermilk.   When''s the Pillsbury Bake-Off, we'll go muffin to muffin :D

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Not to quibble, but you are not making homemade buttermilk.  You are making a substitute for buttermilk.   When''s the Pillsbury Bake-Off, we'll go muffin to muffin :D

Geez, OK, OK you win if the Pillsbury Bake-Off is the Gold standard. I yield to your expertise. I don't enter Chili Cookoffs or Bake-a-Thons and yes, of course you meant to quibble, haha. I guess if you don't grill a USDA Prime rib eye you are grilling a substitute.

So the question really is: is a homemade substitute better than going without?  We report, you decide.

Saludos

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Geez, OK, OK you win if the Pillsbury Bake-Off is the Gold standard. I yield to your expertise. I don't enter Chili Cookoffs or Bake-a-Thons and yes, of course you meant to quibble, haha. I guess if you don't grill a USDA Prime rib eye you are grilling a substitute.

So the question really is: is a homemade substitute better than going without?  We report, you decide.

Saludos

Some steak substitutes are better than others.

Meat-Sculptures-by-Kieran-Gormley_9.jpg

• Confused 1

• 3 years later...
On 8/17/2017 at 9:26 AM, ManxMan said:

My wife has a recipe that needs Buttermilk. Any idea where I can find it and what it is called in Spanish? 

Thanks in advance!

Superlake sells a dried type you can mix for liquid buttermilk. It is reasonable and you can keep it on a shelf instead of the extra going bad.

• Like 1

If you want a real treat, try to find an African yogurt culture called Amasi. Easy to import. It is so tasty, ferments in 24 hours at room temperature, and the healthiest source of pro- biotics - it even kills/eats e. coli. Use pasteurised whole milk. The food of the Zulu warriors.

Then you can make Pap Slap. This is a cornmeal gruel cooked into lumps with butter and salt. The Africans use white cornmeal. You can use any cornmeal, like they use for grits or polenta. That is the Pap. The Slap is the yogurt curds on top. It can be made sweet, with fresh fruit, or savory, with a soft boiled egg.