Chapala.com Webboard

Sandi's Bookstore closing

El Bizco

After 47 years of operation, Sandi's, the Guadalajara bookstore that specializes in English language books and a hangout for expats, is going out of business.

Right now they are having the liquidation sale. As of Friday everything was 30% off. In addition to inventory, all the store equipment, furniture, and fixtures are for sale.

12 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

Progress does mean it is good thing.

If they put all the books into a bonfire we would be outraged,but they are killing us softly....bookstores have been a meeting place for intelligent people for years and they don't want any more of that sort of thing. The wholesale distruction of physical volumes of human history is happening right before our eyes and no one sees it. Can't believe how much was lost during the housing bust, people on the run usually leave behind the cumbersome items...If you believe that kindle or amazon will have everything available online, you are living in a dreamworld. It's not for nothing that the CIA gave the owner of Amazon(Washington Post and Wholefoods) $650 million.....so, yeah increasing the stranglehold of technology on what we read and what we think is not progress.

I have to admit that I am a little confused by your post. But remember, cafemediterraneo, that Amazon has been opening brick and mortar bookstores starting in Seattle and has plans to slowly open up more and more stores in those cities where there is demand for actual stores where they can buy either digital copies and/or actual printed books and magazines.

Apparently the stores are doing well.

I was concerned that Bookman's, my favorite bookstore in Tucson, would close, but they are very successful--people love to roam around and look at the books, and there are comfortable armchairs for reading, plus it's a good place to meet people. Always a big line at the cash registers.

Archived