Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblo Mágico impossible?

El Bizco

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want Mexican go to 5 corners or a block up from the carretera.. I rarely speak English in Ajijic so it is all up to you if you want to be overwhelmed or not.

The Pueblo Mágicos vary widely and as you say the standards went way down so I do not see why Ajijic could not be one.. It is about tourism not about history .

Want to put the tourist in the 8 story buildings being built in la Floresta even though there are amparos existing to stop them that are being ignored or the building going on on the corner of the caraterra that looks like it could be apartments and only has one entrance /exits right at the traffic light which is already is a bottle neck.

When the tourists decide coming to Chapala/Ajijic because they are stuck in traffic and can't ind a place to park or have to pay high parking fees how long do you think it will it be before say it is not worth it?

You guys are so negative you should get out of town and see many other towns, lots of pitiful ones around and see how nice it is when you get back..  So they are building some buildings that are not to your taste, have you see what they did to Guadalajara in the 60´s?Now that was bad..

Yes the place is corrupt and money talks go to the redneck riviera and look at the  Destin to Gulf Shores and around there, I remember the place with beach cabins on stilts and now it is sold condos.. I remember Cancun with a few high rise hotels and so on.. that is life things change and  that is the way it is.

Since most of you are foreigners you have nothing to say about it and most Mexicans do not seem to care  or have enough money to fight it.. All of us retirees do not have that many years left so enjoy what you have and let the young people worry about the rest.

Why guess at what it takes to become a Pueblo Mágico?  All the prerequisites for receiving and maintaining Pueblo Mágico status are online: 
http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/GUIA-FINAL.pdf

SECTUR Nacional (the federal tourism department) makes the decision.  What bmh said is absolutely correct: it is about marketing to attract tourism, not about history or cobblestones or a colonial centro histórico.  And furthermore, in recent years it has become about having a political "in", no longer strictly about anything except $$$$.

I suppose, if you don't read Spanish,  Google translate could help you out with the website.

You guys are so negative you should get out of town and see many other towns, lots of pitiful ones around and see how nice it is when you get back.. 

I get out of town a lot and I'll agree that there are a lot of pitiful towns in parts of Mexico, like Chiapas or Michocan for example, but not so much in Jalisco, Colima or San Luis Potosi.  What I see in those places are towns that are clean, with repaired and almost trash free streets.  

You see a lot from the seat of a moto.

Exactly what you are describing is what we saw as soon as we walked a few blocks outside of the tourist areas of San Cristobal, for example   It was obvious there that most people aren't benefiting from the small zone of tourista glitz.  It impressed us as a euro gringo ghetto surrounded by a lot of serious poverty.

Our standard of comparison is not the poverty stricken states of Mexico lany more than a U.S. resident would use Mississippi as a bench mark for comparison there.  By Mexican standards, Jalisco is one of the richest states in the country but you'd never know it to drive on most of the "free" roads or the level that services locally have sunk to.

Don't assume we don't travel, a lot of us do.  That's why we know a place like this with the rich tax base it has should be a lot better kept than it is and it actually used to be.  A short trip from here to either Tapalpa or Mazamitla, similar very affluent tourist towns, makes this very plain.

People seem to forget the Municipality of Chapala racked up a huge debt a little more than several years ago and I presume they are still paying it off. This debt won´t disappear like some of the the money did when it was first borrowed. The alloted money each municipality gets from the state and federal governments in other debt free [or low debt]  municipalities will be available for current projects.

We don't forget at all.  That debt was wracked up with little to show for it by the brother of the current "Presidente."  

Also, are you forgetting it was reported the current regime increased the city hall payroll by 50%?  Not a great strategy for paying off debt.  I wouldn't presume anything is getting paid off except the cronies.

You figure it out.

glitz in San Cristobal , even in the center, I have not seen it.. Gringo ghetto is also a poor descriptions as they are not many gringos living there , whatever that is except for the tourists that are all over the center. Say what you want it is a great town to live in and we enjoy it a lot. 

Chiapas is the poorest state in the union  so no wonder it looks poor... Oaxaca is the same way and so is Guerrero in parts.. I really feel sorry for you guys  who hate Ajijic and see all of its warts.. I am spending a couple of months in an indigenous village, working in that village and we really feel sorry for people who live in Ajijic...give us a break with all the complaining.

bmh, you don't live here.  This board is a local board here and you should expect that local issues will be discussed here.  As others have been advised, it is very easy to ignore threads, posts or people on this board if you are not interested or don't agree.  What you label as "complaining" from afar is to us affairs that affect our every day life here.

I used "gringo" in the broader sense.  When we were in San Cristobal, the streets downtown were crowded with Europeans.   Reminded me of Playa del Carmen, pricey and packed with young foreigners.

I'm glad you like it there.  We were not impressed as it appeared to us as a small old town core surrounded by a lot of graffiti covered slums.  The general level of prosperity in Jalisco is a lot higher, hence many more resources are theoretically available to provide services, and it is reasonable for those of us paying for those services to expect to receive them.  

When one visits the tourism oriented towns around us that are similarly prosperous, one sees clean and repaired streets and sidewalks and modern trash pick up services, indicating that this is not an unreasonable expectation for THIS area.

It is ironic that of the many local Mexicans i know and interact with here regularly, none of whom are on the local government feedbag, the opinion of the local government from Gardener right on up to Doctor is a great deal harsher than you see expressed here. 

I wouldn't presume to pass judgment on what you find important in San Cristobal, please accord the same respect here.  What you label as "complaining" from afar is to us affairs that affect our every day life here.  We have a very real basis for believing that a "Pueblo Magico" designation for Ajijic would simply result in more congestion and tourism and most of the money for improvements would magically disappear without results as most of our tax dollars do now.

18 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

bmh, you don't live here.  This board is a local board here and you should expect that local issues will be discussed here.  As others have been advised, it is very easy to ignore threads, posts or people on this board if you are not interested or don't agree.  What you label as "complaining" from afar is to us affairs that affect our every day life here.

I used "gringo" in the broader sense.  When we were in San Cristobal, the streets downtown were crowded with Europeans.   Reminded me of Playa del Carmen, pricey and packed with young foreigners.

I'm glad you like it there.  We were not impressed as it appeared to us as a small old town core surrounded by a lot of graffiti covered slums.  The general level of prosperity in Jalisco is a lot higher, hence many more resources are theoretically available to provide services, and it is reasonable for those of us paying for those services to expect to receive them.  

When one visits the tourism oriented towns around us that are similarly prosperous, one sees clean and repaired streets and sidewalks and modern trash pick up services, indicating that this is not an unreasonable expectation for THIS area.

It is ironic that of the many local Mexicans i know and interact with here regularly, none of whom are on the local government feedbag, the opinion of the local government from Gardener right on up to Doctor and Abogado is the same and a great deal harsher than you see expressed here. 

I wouldn't presume to pass judgment on what you find important in San Cristobal, please accord the same respect here.  What you label as "complaining" from afar is to us affairs that affect our every day life here.  We have a very real basis for believing that a "Pueblo Magico" designation for Ajijic would simply result in more congestion and tourism and most of the money for improvements would magically disappear without results as most of our tax dollars do now.

It appears that you have copied and pasted this verbatim from one of your previous posts and you have also been informed on more than one occasion that bmh has lived in west Ajijic[6 corners] more than twice as long as you have been here and that they have a second home in San Cristobal.

No problem, quote the post you think I cut and pasted.  Also, my post was responding to bmh, not you.  I am confident in his/her ability to respond unaided.

bmh is not here full time.  We are.  And the same suggestion applies to you--if you don't like the topic, threads or poster it is easy to ignore all here.  You are welcome to continue to be an apologist for the local government and we are equally welcome to not share your opinion on same.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

No problem, quote the post you think I cut and pasted.  Also, my post was responding to bmh, not you.  I am confident in his/her ability to respond unaided.

bmh is not here full time.  We are.  And the same suggestion applies to you--if you don't like the topic, threads or poster it is easy to ignore all here.  You are welcome to continue to be an apologist for the local government and we are equally welcome to not share your opinion on same.

She and her husband Bubba are in "Mexico" full time and to my knowledge have not been back to the USA but do travel to her home country of France on occasion. You have the option of ignoring this as well,no? And I  am not an apologist for the local government. I merely think they do the best they can with the tools and dollars they have.

I'm not going to get into a debate with Chapala residents, full (you) or part time about an issue that affects full time residents of Ajijic, me, my spouse and neighbors.

I'm sure you think that about the local government since most of everyone's pesos (not dollars) go where you live but most of the money comes from where I live and the other communities of the Municipio.  

As I said, you are welcome to that opinion.  Over here, it doesn't hold up to reality too well.

I just look at the facts as they are being reported and as we are experiencing things HERE and the facts are that services have declined drastically where I live and I don't know anyone where I live including me who thinks the money from Pueblo Magico will suffer any different fate.  We are concerned we will have still more congestion, more trashy potholed streets and noise and the money meant to deal with those things will "magically" disappear like our money does now.

Let's leave it at that.

Maincoons We saw your house being built so we have been in Ajijic a whole lot longer that you have, my husband votes there, I vote in Chiapas and we have residences in both states and are Mexican Citizens so we have a whole lot more to say than you do. 

We stay in Mexico when sick , do not go back to the States , I work for a Mexican company from Jalisco in Chiapas  so if someone has nothing to say it is you.

I can see why you would not like San Cristobal.. ..a little too real for you... the number 1 tourists here are Mexicans number 2 are Europeans so you are a little bit out of your element here.

My husband spends most of his time in Ajijic and I spend a lot of time in Chiapas we have owned a house in Ajijic longer than you have been around  so really if one of us has nothing to say it is you... I could also say the same thing to you  in Spanish  a whole lot better  than you could.

It is pretty funny for a man who is always bragging about his house and wealth to say that San Cristobal is pricey.. must have been scared of eating where the locals eat.  I live near the market and shop there every day and it is a whole lot cheaper to live here than in Ajijic..it should be , the town is full of poor people. who do not eat in restaurants downtown.

You chose to see the tourists area and that is your business but if you live here you know better than eat in the tourists traps.. Comparing a 450 year old town to Playa del Carmen is pretty funny. , they are both tourists towns but the tourism between the two is very different. I can assure you that all the European backpackers are not spending a whole lot of money here.

As far as the government affairs in Chapala you really do not have anything to say either and your accusing them of  all kinds of things is getting pretty old. They are what they are, if you do not like it vote for someone else. Your doctor and gardner and all other service people are Mexicans , they have the right to criticize  their government, you do not.

By the way you have no authority to define who is full time or part time here and Ajijic is part of the Chapala municipality like it or not and Ned Small has the same right than anyone else to discuss Ajijic if that is what he wants to do Resident of Ajijic or not.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:43 AM, Mainecoons said:

We don't forget at all.  That debt was wracked up with little to show for it by the brother of the current "Presidente."  

Also, are you forgetting it was reported the current regime increased the city hall payroll by 50%?  Not a great strategy for paying off debt.  I wouldn't presume anything is getting paid off except the cronies.

You figure it out.

Really. For starters Gerardo Delgollado PRI got the Federal PAN minister of tourism to visit Chapala for the first time in over 20 years and convinced him to release funds for such things as finishing the Chapala Malecon. The mural by the sail which is on the front of a rock slide barrier and engineers were sent all over that slope. Your beloved Ajijic now has a malecon and a park rebuilt so it won't flood again. At relative expense and personnel he put together a recruiting programme to send 150 workers to a plant in Alberta for 2 years, where they were earning $19/hr. and some have become Canadian citizens and stayed in Canada.

57 minutes ago, betty7 said:

MC has every right to his opinion. i agree 100% w/what he has to say. he is affected by things that others are not & he has every right to critisize the govt as he pays property taxes. he may not be able to vote, but so what? BMH may be knowelable about mexico. still, she is self rightious & a know it all. every district is different & has its own special problems. i have never heard MC discuss his personal finances. that is your projection. anyone can voice their opinion rich poor or middle. the concept that a dirty mexican town (& back packers) is more" real" is another self rightious statement. the magic what ever will be a trashy tourist scam. several streets will be filled w/100s of people eating & throwing garbage. since there is no culture here there is nothing to see. another cheap shot. there will be more fast food, souvenier shops, bars. busses will be parked along sept & consitution. lawns will be full of trash, the noice will be significant.

Where did I read in the rules that there were to be no personal attacks...........you know, like this outstanding example?

18 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Gringal's comment was most certainly not a personal attack. You'd frikkin' know it, if it was. You can't just call out someone for pointing out a fact.

It was an attack on the allowing of personal attacks.......by anyone, of anyone else.  How about this one; "The "elitests" have started piling on"?  by another poster?  That's name calling.

I would like to see this board's members post in a civil manner to one another; disagreeing about ideas, not calling a person by a pejorative label. "Know it all" certainly qualifies for that category; as does "elitist".  We don't have a "Octagon" on here;  we are expected to behave like adults on all the threads, even when we strongly disagree.

When things get personal or insulting, one of the mods usually closes the thread.  I would like to see this one treated appropriately.

Archived