Chapala.com Webboard

Vet/Grooming warning

Yesterday, my husband took my dog and cat to the vet/grooming place on the corner of the carretara and Revolucion because our regular groomers couldn’t see them.  This was the first time we had used these people.  They asked if the cat needed to be medicated and were told no.  He has been to three different groomers and never needed it.  My husband left our phone number so they could call if they had questions.  When my husband picked them up around noon yesterday, the cat was unconscious.  He had been medicated without our permission and with no knowledge of his medical history.  He did not go in for medical treatment.  He went in only to be groomed.  He has still not regained consciousness for more than a few minutes at a time.  He has repeatedly vomited all over himself all night long.  He has liver and kidney problems and should never have been medicated.  I took him to his normal vet today.  His temperature, pulse, and blood pressure are dangerously low.  Because the B/P is so low, they had to put a catheter in his neck to draw bloods.  His organs were not further compromised but his electrolytes were so low some of them did not even register.  He is now in the hospital under care.  His vet is very concerned about him.  Our vet told us that this other vet has used drugs in the past that has compromised the kidneys of animals he has treated.  Please be careful of who you choose to care for your animals.

Look closely, the poster identified the location of the vet office.

My cats don't mind the transportation to my vet, and should my long haired cat need a groomer, I would try to do it myself or be next to the cat while the grooming took place watching so that I could do it myself next time.

Apparently this cat is used to being groomed.  No matter what anyone thinks about whether a cat should be groomed or not this vet should never have given medication without a history and permission.  Thank you so much for posting this as we had considered using this location for grooming of our dogs when in a pinch at our normal vet's as we had seen recommendations.

We did speak to this vet and he acknowledged what happened and that they should not have medicated our cat.  I would not throw stones without knowing what had happened or have spoken to them.  My cat is now on a monitor at the hospital.  His doctor thinks he has a 70% chance of survival but is concerned about brain damage. 

I've heard of medicating a cat for a teeth cleaning but never for a bath.  We have taken Max to the groomer in Mirasol but are looking for an alternative.  Maine Coon cats do need a bath once in a while as they really can't cope with the long hair well and brushing alone is not sufficient.  I'd be interested to know if you have found a cat groomer you are really satisfied with.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:59 PM, Anita said:

I suppose this is valuable information, however, you do not give a name or address of the groomer. In any case, I've never heard of anyone taking a cat to the groomer.  The poor animal.

The transport alone has to be traumatic.

The exact location was given.

Surprised to hear this. I chose this vet after having my dog's illness misdiagnosed or no idea of what was wrong with her from three other local veterinarians. He quickly and correctly diagnosed it and provided proper meds to cure her problem. Since he literally saved my dog's life, to me, he will always be the best vet in lakeside.

On 8/8/2017 at 8:11 PM, johanson said:

Look closely, the poster identified the location of the vet office.

My cats don't mind the transportation to my vet, and should my long haired cat need a groomer, I would try to do it myself or be next to the cat while the grooming took place watching so that I could do it myself next time.

The poster did sort of identify it but I don't know where that is.

Revolucion is the street where the Wednesday market is located; runs right by Salvador's restaurant which is in the Bougainvillea Plaza where El Torito's grocery store and the Cinema and the pharmacy is located.  Since all the Lakeside corners are occupied it stands to reason the location you are interested in is on the mountain side.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:45 PM, Jeanneboo said:

Yesterday, my husband took my dog and cat to the vet/grooming place on the corner of the carretara and Revolucion because our regular groomers couldn’t see them.  This was the first time we had used these people.  They asked if the cat needed to be medicated and were told no.  He has been to three different groomers and never needed it.  My husband left our phone number so they could call if they had questions.  When my husband picked them up around noon yesterday, the cat was unconscious.  He had been medicated without our permission and with no knowledge of his medical history.  He did not go in for medical treatment.  He went in only to be groomed.  He has still not regained consciousness for more than a few minutes at a time.  He has repeatedly vomited all over himself all night long.  He has liver and kidney problems and should never have been medicated.  I took him to his normal vet today.  His temperature, pulse, and blood pressure are dangerously low.  Because the B/P is so low, they had to put a catheter in his neck to draw bloods.  His organs were not further compromised but his electrolytes were so low some of them did not even register.  He is now in the hospital under care.  His vet is very concerned about him.  Our vet told us that this other vet has used drugs in the past that has compromised the kidneys of animals he has treated.  Please be careful of who you choose to care for your animals.

Hi Jean,

How is your cat doing? I hope he is getting better.

night night!

Claus G.

Wow. So sorry to hear about your cat's condition.  I hope he/she  pulls through the ordeal.  Coincidentally just tonight I found this place you took your cat to.  I was looking for a place to board my 13 yr. old Beagle Nacho.  I thought it was great to find a place just down the street from where we live.  Now I am having second thoughts.  I will definitely ask all kinds of questions and inspect where my dog will be staying-even for one day.  Thank you for your information.  I will continue searching for other places to board my Nacho. 

On 8/8/2017 at 7:59 PM, Anita said:

I suppose this is valuable information, however, you do not give a name or address of the groomer. In any case, I've never heard of anyone taking a cat to the groomer.  The poor animal.

The transport alone has to be traumatic.

I think your comments are totally uncalled for, my cat gets groomed every 6 weeks and he loves it, comes home to show off like look at me if you don't give him the attention right away. Animals can be trained.

This is awful what this vet has done to this cat.

12 minutes ago, hensley said:

my cat gets groomed every 6 weeks and he loves it,

Are you still using the groomer in Mirasol?  If not, who?

Max would probably kill us if he had to go every six weeks but he definitely could stand a couple times per year.

Some pet owners regularly  groom their own cats using a slicker brush (not sure about the spelling)

I was confused about the comment about the transport can be traumatic. I transport my cats  in an animal carrier  every few months and have never had a problem. the cats do not mind riding in the animal container. It is sort of like a safe house for them. They feel secure therein. The dogs are too big and enjoy the car ride sitting in the front passenger car seat.

15 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Are you still using the groomer in Mirasol?  If not, who?

Max would probably kill us if he had to go every six weeks but he definitely could stand a couple times per year.

Yes we are, and he is 16 now.

We groom ourselves as much as we can, and when energy to groom (ourself) does not present, we use Edgar at 333-454-2635.  All grooming is done on the property.

People have to understand that all vets are human and make human errors.  However, knowing of each vets weaknesses better prepares us to take precautions.

Vets do NOT want to hurt animals. A vet may be prone to pushing of drugs, oral pesticides (we lost one due to ONE dose of oral pesticide), or overdosing with shots, NSAIDS etc.  We cannot avoid human misinformation, human error or pharma influence.  It is a very dangerous world out there, not just for pets, but for people with Pharma's influence.

So thank you for this message board and warning, for I am sure that if the public is aware they will take extra steps in not only choosing a vet, but communicating and watching over those actions.

We had a Maine Coon for 23yrs when we lived in Bellevue, Washington...Great cat!

We have used Luis exclusively for over 2 yrs since moving here from Mazatlan and even use Roberto, his assistant for pet sitting.  Our 3 dogs and cat love them.

Archived