Chapala.com Webboard

Ticket Trap/Corner of Wednesday Market/WERE YOU STOPPED/WHY?

Be aware:

Traffic policeman is splitting his energy between crossing guard and ticket treater!

I was not stopped, but noted that he was on a spree of assigning tickets the entire morning.  

I

Ah yeah.. but that one guy was sure having fun, and the faces on the people were unhappy.  Had his little clipboard.

Very industrious...

He actually had a few cars pulled over, which required he leave the crossing work for a bit.

For WHAT...   Anyone here who was stopped and ticketed, and what for?

I guess I was lucky I was at the Ajijic market today and drove past the market 4 times and the only transito I saw was quite far West where Colon crosses the main drag. I just know that now that I have a Mexican plated car with an up to date smog sticker, I am never stopped anymore

Whose job is it to stop traffic cops from ticketing? My gardener arrived late today and said he was ticketed for not having his seat belt on and received a $400peso fine as it was his second offense in 6 months. Good. He has 3 children to support and no need to go through a windshield. There is no way to know what the police were looking for at that location but as everyone slows down there, it's easier to spot offenders.

2 hours ago, PORTIMOM said:

I added that question to the title of my post.  Maybe we will find out, and can take steps to prevent?

The cops around here just can't win.. Even when they do their jobs people complain...

Why would you want to prevent the cops from doing their jobs handing out tickets for Not wearing a seatbelt, or talking on a cell phone...Or checking for the emissions sticker..

That location on a Wednesday  is the perfect spot for checking for those offences

9 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The cops around here just can't win.. Even when they do their jobs people complain...

Why would you want to prevent the cops from doing their jobs handing out tickets for Not wearing a seatbelt, or talking on a cell phone...Or checking for the emissions sticker..

That location on a Wednesday  is the perfect spot for checking for those offences

I agree, I want them to enfore the traffic laws, as long as they apply to everyone.  To many cars here with no emission stckers because they would not pass. 

A few months ago, he gave a ticket for driving the wrong way on the lateral.  The perp turned in at the market entrance and then turned west and parked in front of Salvadors.  Perfectly correct ticket.  The perp was a hard liberal from Oregon that was convinced that he did not have to obey the rules in MX.  It cost him 200MXN and I was all for awarding the cop a medal.

30 minutes ago, jrm30655 said:

A few months ago, he gave a ticket for driving the wrong way on the lateral.  The perp turned in at the market entrance and then turned west and parked in front of Salvadors.  Perfectly correct ticket.  The perp was a hard liberal from Oregon that was convinced that he did not have to obey the rules in MX.  It cost him 200MXN and I was all for awarding the cop a medal.

A hard liberal perp from Oregon, they should have thrown him in jail!  Sorry you have to put up with such a low life.

Some US plated cars here lakeside  had Obama for President stickers on them, . And there was and or is a Democrats Abroad Club car sticker.

I'm not taking sides here. But I didn't see many stickers for either side for this US Presidential election.

1 hour ago, SunshineyDay said:

JRM30655 What I can not figure out is how people can tell what peoples political leanings are by sight or their license plate. 

With this liberal, he wore it like a bright jacket.

This was Jerry, he died a few months later and I really miss him.  He was great fun.

He came down on a 180 day VISA, bought a house and wanted a Permanente.  He absolutely refused to go back NOB and do it right.  He paid several attorneys and got nowhere and just would not accept that he needed to go to a consulate NOB.  When he died, he was illegal and so was his car.

Before the election, we often sat at the same table for breakfast at Salvadors.  I was talking to one of the other guys and said I thought Trump might win so we bet 5 breakfasts on the outcome.  Breakfast is 40P, so I figured I could stand the loss.

Jerry jumped in and wanted the same bet, so I took it.  Then later, he doubled down to 10 breakfasts, then to 20.  2 days before the election, he stopped me on the way to breakfast and doubled down again to 40 breakfasts.  By that time, I was fairly convinced that Trump had a good chance of winning.

When Trump won, it almost killed Jerry.  He paid for 5 days (the original bet) and I let him off.  He looked like I had killed his dog every day that he paid.  

When he got into it with the cop, the cop took his license and wanted 200P to give it back.  That is $10 and he was guilty.

We finally talked Jerry into swallowing his pride and paying the 200P  but it was an ordeal.  He was just determined to swim against the current in every instance.

I very much enjoyed this story. It is an intimate and unusual glimpse into a lakeside character. So well written that I felt like I could look right in and experience who the person was. Nice  share.

3 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

Since when does one´s politics NoB have anything to do with whether you deserve to receive a ticket in Mexico?  And if the cop gives the ticket to a ¨hard liberal,¨ then it is all the more deserved?  This isn´t a political statement by me, but it sure looks like one by you.

1 hour ago, jrm30655 said:

With this liberal, he wore it like a bright jacket.

This was Jerry, he died a few months later and I really miss him.  He was great fun.

He came down on a 180 day VISA, bought a house and wanted a Permanente.  He absolutely refused to go back NOB and do it right.  He paid several attorneys and got nowhere and just would not accept that he needed to go to a consulate NOB.  When he died, he was illegal and so was his car.

Before the election, we often sat at the same table for breakfast at Salvadors.  I was talking to one of the other guys and said I thought Trump might win so we bet 5 breakfasts on the outcome.  Breakfast is 40P, so I figured I could stand the loss.

Jerry jumped in and wanted the same bet, so I took it.  Then later, he doubled down to 10 breakfasts, then to 20.  2 days before the election, he stopped me on the way to breakfast and doubled down again to 40 breakfasts.  By that time, I was fairly convinced that Trump had a good chance of winning.

When Trump won, it almost killed Jerry.  He paid for 5 days (the original bet) and I let him off.  He looked like I had killed his dog every day that he paid.  

When he got into it with the cop, the cop took his license and wanted 200P to give it back.  That is $10 and he was guilty.

We finally talked Jerry into swallowing his pride and paying the 200P  but it was an ordeal.  He was just determined to swim against the current in every instance.

A good story.  Sounds like you two had a good bipartisan friendship.  We could use more of that these days.

What happened to the plan that was floated by Chapala admin. to have local cops take over the duties of the Transitos?  You'd think that if they got to keep part of the ticket money locally that they could use that to repair some trucks, fix some roads, and maybe hire more cops to actually go out on patrol.  I see many traffic infractions every time I leave the house and I almost never see a transito or a local cop.  Laws should be enforced but stops and subsequent tickets should be given according to the infraction...not the nationality of the driver.  And EVERBODY should stop offering bribes to the transito cops.  That makes the situation worse.  Just take you ticket and go pay it early to get your discount.  Probably be less than the bribe you would have paid.  Alan

43 minutes ago, moderator-2 said:

Does anyone know at this point what tickets were being handed out?

Don't know, but I'd bet 50 breakfasts at (anywhere but) Salvador's that only a TINY fraction of foreigners here understand the differences between the driving laws here and the driving laws in their previous country/state/province, etc. (Like how if the tránsito is standing in the middle of the carretera in one direction it means one thing, and if standing in the other direction, it means the opposite.)

Of course tránsitos are opportunists. And I am not defending them, but as opportunists they naturally use every tool at their disposal, including traffic law. Good luck out there! :ph34r:

5 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

The cops around here just can't win.. Even when they do their jobs people complain... Why would you want to prevent the cops from doing their jobs handing out tickets for Not wearing a seatbelt, or talking on a cell phone...Or checking for the emissions sticker..

It's not "doing their job" when the primary purpose is to illegally put the little bite on people.

I know this guy. If you bully him back, he will cave. The first step in bullying him is to say "Give me the ticket, and do it now".

Archived