Chapala.com Webboard

Trying to call a 888 number?

Dial 880 if your toll-free number begins with 800. Dial 881 for an 888 number. Dial 882 for an 877 number and dial883 for all 866 numbers. These codes only apply to calls from Mexico.

NB: Don't forget to dial 001 first.

These special numbers allowing us to connect to toll free numbers that don't reach into Mexico are very expensive even for those of us who have free international calls from our Telmex $389 or $599 free long distance plans. I was told at Telmex, all will pay $7 pesos per minute.

So when ever possible phone a local number in the US not an 800 number. Because those are free to us. If I have to call a Canadian or US 800 #, I always use my VoIP phone, you know Skype, Vonage, etc. never my Telmex line.

Check with Telmex. They will explain that if you phoned an 800 number that did not reach into Mexico, then you would have needed to use the special numbers provided by Telmex and when you do, you are so charged.

7 hours ago, Lakesider said:

Dial 880 if your toll-free number begins with 800. Dial 881 for an 888 number. Dial 882 for an 877 number and dial883 for all 866 numbers. These codes only apply to calls from Mexico.

NB: Don't forget to dial 001 first.

I have tried those numbers and have never a call that worked.  Have you had success with them?

Those are the numbers I always use for calling a USA-based 800 (or other toll-free) number.  Dial 001 prior to dialing the substitute "800" number you need, then the following eight digits.  I have never been charged for making that sort of call and the calls have always gone through perfectly.

In addition, many banks have non-800 numbers (usually listed both on the back of your credit/debit card AND on the bank website) that you can call collect by first dialing 001, then the area code listed, and then the telephone number.  My bank's computer answers and says, "If this is an operator calling, we do accept collect calls."  The call then goes automatically to the bank's electronic menu and I proceed with what business I need to do.  I have never once been charged for this type call, either.

Obviously YMMV, but I have no idea why.

16 hours ago, johanson said:

Check with Telmex. They will explain that if you phoned an 800 number that did not reach into Mexico, then you would have needed to use the special numbers provided by Telmex and when you do, you are so charged.

As I said before, I've never been charged for making any of these calls, and like More Liana said, as long as you dial 001 then the number, they go through perfectly!

Watch your phone bill for charges on 881+350- because it is the country code for Gibraltar and can be an expensive call. I also got billed for calls to a satellite phone

+881
ICO Global 8810,8811
Ellipso 8812, 8813
Iridium 8816, 8817
Globalstar 8818, 8819

What makes the call go into the international dialing system and use 881+ as a country code or go to the toll free number is a mystery.  Sometimes it just works as billed.

Archived