Chapala.com Webboard

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

I think it reflect the age of the population .. In San Cristobal we have lots of foreigners from all over but they are young and most of them communicate in Spanish,, It is much easier to learn a language when you are young .

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Mexico has 68 different languages. Do you think they need Spanish?

True but Spanish is the official language.  

7 minutes ago, bmh said:

I think it reflect the age of the population .. In San Cristobal we have lots of foreigners from all over but they are young and most of them communicate in Spanish,, It is much easier to learn a language when you are young .

For me, the problem is not reading or being understood, it is hearing and comprehending.  More than a few of us have poor hearing and cognition also tends to decrease with age.  We both are having increasing problems comprehending the English spoken on TV and often resort to the use of subtitles.  You hit the nail on the head in this post.

We are very fortunate to live in an area where there are so many bilingual Mexicans who are patient and understanding as we struggle to learn, speak and hear Spanish.  I get none of that "holier than thou" feeling from these folks, that seems to reside mainly within a group of sanctimonious expats.

Are you referring to the ones who constantly complain about trash, poor roads, political corruption? Those sanctimonious expats or a different group?

Haha, just kidding, good for the goose, etc.

13 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Mexico has 68 different languages. Do you think they need Spanish?

Yes they do in indigenous areas. Many of these languages are not understood outside of smaller groups, this is why they are disappearing..

Spanish is the official language and people who do not speak it get marginalized..

Yesterday a Tsotsil teenager  ranaway from home because her mother beat her up and came to my house asking for help.. I told her to first call her family so she called her brother and father..I understood some of it but little , I sure happy we had Spanish in common, when her family called me , we communicated in broken Spanish and it was tough but possible.. without Spanish you can be plain out of luck in indigenous areas..

16 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

There should be a united effort to learn Spanish since we live here.  Didn't we think they should all speak English when we lived up north.  Same difference

And, did they care at all what we thought NOB about them learning English? Most of those who come NOB can't read, write, or speak Spanish very well. And you expect them to become fluent in English? Then we need to insist they come legally and pick and chose those that will add things that improve the culture and society NOB, as does Mexico and Canada. 

Comparing younger people who learn a language because they are in a country to work with a bunch of geriatric retirees who are self supporting, don't need to work and deliberately chose places where the business and tradespeople are largely bilingual is comparing apples and oranges.

I see the few younger people who come here and work have already learned Spanish or are working hard at it.  Just as with their counterparts who go north, it is essential for those who need to make a living.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

True but Spanish is the official language.  

For me, the problem is not reading or being understood, it is hearing and comprehending.  More than a few of us have poor hearing and cognition also tends to decrease with age.  We both are having increasing problems comprehending the English spoken on TV and often resort to the use of subtitles.  You hit the nail on the head in this post.

We are very fortunate to live in an area where there are so many bilingual Mexicans who are patient and understanding as we struggle to learn, speak and hear Spanish.  I get none of that "holier than thou" feeling from these folks, that seems to reside mainly within a group of sanctimonious expats.

I have never understood some people's obsession with which and how many languages other foreigners speak. Stop acting as though it is a moral failing to not be fluent in a foreign language. It simply is another way of living life in an area with a large expat population where everyday life does not demand fluency to get along. 

10 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

WOW!  Has this thingy ever strayed off course.  Just remember, a smile is universally understood.

7 minutes ago, betty7 said:

the thread was about services to improve quality of life. it should have stayed that way. anything else should be deleted.

So this makes about 5 of us .  Who see's this thread going pretty much off course . 

18 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

There should be a united effort to learn Spanish since we live here.  Didn't we think they should all speak English when we lived up north.  Same difference

What would make my life more enjoyable here or elsewhere is for people to stop doing what they think is best for them and start doing what I know is best for me. It's a horrible world when people are allowed to make their own choices.

On 7/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, betty7 said:

bmh, france wins for sure. meanwhile avacados have a US label. do they grow them in mex then ship them to a US distribution place to get tagged & REship them here?? or do they grow them in the US? 

Avocados are thought to have originated in Mexico and Central and South America. Avocado trees were first planted in Florida in 1833 and then in California in 1856. According to NASS, California now accounts for the majority of U.S. avocado production, followed by Florida and Hawaii.

http://www.agmrc.org/commodities-products/fruits/avocados/

On 7/10/2017 at 11:15 PM, bezerk said:

The trash situation improved for some time, as did repair of streets, now it is again a problem.  I have to say in comparison to how it was when I first moved here...there is very little trash.  The dump is not smoldering , we have many more things, stores, restaurants, activities , but lost the cows going up and down the streets and wild horses etc.  The traffic no longer ends..so yes turning back clocks might be nice...and for the pocketbook a wonder, things were incredibly cheap and life was tranquil though maybe hard in some ways. 

I personally never heard of a McDonalds making more trash to an area and they are always packed in Guadalajara and everywhere else I go in Mexico.  We are not going backwards to being a little lakeside area..so forge ahead.  It was asked what we would like, some of us stated it honestly. 

I still want or miss many things from the states and if cost of living keeps raising so rapidly then we will need lots of things to keep folks here. 

Clean drinking water, I do not drink water from faucet in states, here nor PV, no where. 

Even the weather here has changed drastically, life changes..and we have the memories of many years ago.  Some good some not so...I loved the Torros de Fuego at fiestas, some thought too dangerous, well they were doing it for years..so it is.  Change.

In many towns in the state of my residence in America no fast food restaurants are allowed to have drive up windows because drivers will eat in the car and then throw out the trash. My town got rid of the ordinance and there was trash being thrown out of cars. The police got real strict and handed out 400 dollar fines. That stopped it cold and the towm nade some good money. Perhaps that should be done Lakeside.

That is our Betty. Oh and the original post by the administrator asked:

Things are great here. Sure, I wish my favorite stores were a little closer and that traffic wasn't so heavy. But I would wish that about most anywhere I lived.

I would also like it if more of us were truly bi-lingual, but that is not going to happen and no big deal. I love it here the way it is and I am planning to say here as long as I can.

Betty, this is one of these topics where there are many answers To me it would be wonderful if we all could be truly bilingual, I know, I wish I didn't have an accent and had a larger vocabulary. But to some others such as you it doesn't matter. And that is fine too.

But let's back to:

and not argue whose idea has merit

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Seriously? "Primitive cultures"?

Congrats betty7. I didn't think it possible but you've found a new way to offend.

Come on, travis. Enough. Get with the program. Geez !

All I can say about the offensiveness and downright nastiness of some of our contributing posters here is that I hope and pray that not many of the wonderful and awesome native Chapalenses that daily help and support our robust community are not reading this thread, because if they are, they are going to leave with a bad taste in their mouths towards la comunidad extranjera. And the sad truth is that most of us are truly wonderful people and very satisfied and happy living here.  It will always be the loud miserable minority that makes the most ruckus.  Maybe, one day they will get so bitter and miserable they will just move on.

I could never imagine living among a native culture that I had so much disdain and disgust for.

The littering/trash asde is interesting but remember that the initiative to cure the same problem in the US began with the Keep America Beautiful initiative in 1965 spearheaded by Lady Bird Johnson. It took a generation or more to realize any real change. Don't Mess With Texas appeared in the 80's which was a continuation of the original bill.

Mexicans don't see graffiti either but thanks to a small group of warriers, our town is much cleaner. 

Learning Spanish makes our lives easier. Even bad Spanish is appreciated by the locals. 

We moved here for an adventure. Embrace the difference. 

6 hours ago, michael2595 said:

In many towns in the state of my residence in America no fast food restaurants are allowed to have drive up windows because drivers will eat in the car and then throw out the trash. My town got rid of the ordinance and there was trash being thrown out of cars. The police got real strict and handed out 400 dollar fines. That stopped it cold and the towm nade some good money. Perhaps that should be done Lakeside.

Wow I never heard of that, thank you for sharing that  information. 

I think continual education on littering is needed, they were just starting that when I moved here ( 19 years ago) in the schools. 

Being bilingual is a given, life is much easier if you are bilingual and you can be more in tune with the area, but it is not a requirement here by any means. 

I think this thread has gone to the trash, no pun intended.  I thought it was just gonna be fun to know what others including myself wanted here, not needed, just wanted. 

6 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

Littering is part of the culture, like noise, and as such should be tolerated or maybe even encouraged.

I like a lot of the replies on this thread but yours gave me the biggest smile. Thanks. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Archived