Chapala.com Webboard

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:10 PM, gimpychimp said:

For those who ridicule people for some of their honest answers, and who think you should go back to Canada or the United States for wanting some of the things you had there, think back to the city you came from. Did you ridicule the Italian immigrants for all their stores in "Little Italy"? Or did you shop there sometimes for some of their great products? Did you ridicule the Chinese immigrants for what they had going on in "Chinatown"? Or did you go to their restaurants for some fantastic meals?   All the cities have areas where immigrants of a certain nationality like to spend time together. You probably understood that it is human nature to want to be with people who speak your language, and to buy products in stores that suit your way of cooking, etc. There's comfort and familiarity in that, and there is nothing wrong with craving things you enjoyed in your home country. Why can't you see that it is the same for people who have immigrated to Mexico to want to eat certain foods, and buy certain things they grew up with? That doesn't mean that they're not enjoying their life in Mexico, and that they should go back. It means they are human and they feel comfort from certain things they grew up with, that's all. There is nothing wrong with that. Let me tell you who else wants many things from the U.S.  Rich Mexicans.  Take a look around in Superlake and you will see Mexicans who can afford it in there buying all those imported products at high prices. Take a look around in Guadalajara and you will see many American stores and chain restaurants, and who do you think they opened those for?  The foreigners from Lake Chapala?  No.  It turns out that Mexicans like that stuff too, if they can afford it.  MaineCoons had a good point above, I must say.

Agree!  The question was what would like to see added or changed or improved. Why is it when someone in good faith answers, they are ridiculed. Nothing better to do?

I would like to see traffic lights work all the time, especially near Pranza. Like most, better sidewalks and a thorough look at ALL the side streets that are crumbling as well as the big holes that hold water and breed mesquites. Oh yes, please clean the arroyos.  Maybe strategically  placed trash cans ( that would be emptied ) and secured to encourage people to put trash in the can.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, betty7 said:

angus we read different publications. what difference does it make? walmart is not a US trend, its a way of life here as well. its a monster on every level. they dont even have decent plastic bags. want a quality plastic bag? go to the superdors. they also have good service. OK, MOD 5

4,672 Walmart U.S. stores
6,363 stores in 26 countries outside the United States including Walmart's Mexico division, the largest outside the U.S.,with 2,411 stores

Far more Walmarts in the U.S. than in any other country. Not that having the Walmart record is a good thing.

Now that I think about it I do remember getting "indecent" plastic bags last time I was at Walmart. I'll ask for decent bags next time I go there so I appreciate the warning. Plastic bags are being phased out in quite a few places so the chance of getting an indecent one should be going down, Whew, I'll sleep better tonight! Now I just have to figure out what a superdors is so I can start my collection of quality plastic bags, My life will be perfect.

Actually, I get to live here and enjoy all the wonderful things about this small community - especially the local families I have had the honor of meeting. I am not having any problem ignoring a few minor inconveniences that seem to send others over the edge, I guess I notice some of them but don't worry about them vert much, My life is already pretty close to perfect.

The trash situation improved for some time, as did repair of streets, now it is again a problem.  I have to say in comparison to how it was when I first moved here...there is very little trash.  The dump is not smoldering , we have many more things, stores, restaurants, activities , but lost the cows going up and down the streets and wild horses etc.  The traffic no longer ends..so yes turning back clocks might be nice...and for the pocketbook a wonder, things were incredibly cheap and life was tranquil though maybe hard in some ways. 

I personally never heard of a McDonalds making more trash to an area and they are always packed in Guadalajara and everywhere else I go in Mexico.  We are not going backwards to being a little lakeside area..so forge ahead.  It was asked what we would like, some of us stated it honestly. 

I still want or miss many things from the states and if cost of living keeps raising so rapidly then we will need lots of things to keep folks here. 

Clean drinking water, I do not drink water from faucet in states, here nor PV, no where. 

Even the weather here has changed drastically, life changes..and we have the memories of many years ago.  Some good some not so...I loved the Torros de Fuego at fiestas, some thought too dangerous, well they were doing it for years..so it is.  Change.

WE have found that Patzcuaro is still a lot like Chapala/Ajijic used to be, and of course Morelia is 30 minutes away. Security is no more a problem that here. We have just lost that "pueblo feeling" here!

11 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

Time for you to find another thread eh?

Wow.. for someone who doesn't live in the area you sure are surly.  I have given my opinion regarding the OP and read and responded to their ideas. But many people kept going off topic ..such as.......too bad...

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Taco Bell. Don't laugh, they would do a land office business.

Excuse a little laugh.  Back in a coastal CA town where there were quite a few Mexican workers, there was a Taco Bell with a long line of them getting their lunch every day.  Gotta be a reason.

8 hours ago, gringal said:

Excuse a little laugh.  Back in a coastal CA town where there were quite a few Mexican workers, there was a Taco Bell with a long line of them getting their lunch every day.  Gotta be a reason.

Yeah, that's why I posted it. Every Mexican I know who spent time in the US tells me they wish we had Taco Bell! Go figure.

If you pay attention, it quickly becomes obvious that U.S. franchise/labeled operations here are highly popular with the Mexicans.  You see them in a lot of places where there are few if any expats.  This is particularly ironic given the scoffing by the "trying to be more Mexican than the Mexicans" expat contingent which is so well represented locally.

Unfortunately for those folks it seems that Mexicans like cars, American style fast food, gated communities, Walmart, Sams Club, Costco, Home Depot and all the rest just like we do, maybe even more so because of the novelty.  

Went to a jam packed Sam's Club in Oaxaca with our artisan friends and we were the only expats in the place.  Yup, they tried to drag us to a McDonalds too, LOL.

Better get used to it.  Just going to get worse.  Yep, I'd love to have a Costco and Home Depot somewhere south of the airport on Chapala highway.  So shoot me already. :D

1 hour ago, AllenHoffman said:

Well I will be relocating here in 6 years so lets hope all this gets fixed.

There has been a whole lot of complaining in this thread. What "this" do you hope gets fixed in the next six years? 

This notion that all these U.S. franchises are going to move to Lakeside is ridiculous. There is simply not enough population. There is a Dominoes. Which serves a superior product to U.S. Dominoes, but there is plenty of locals who surpass that product by many miles. There is a Subway in the Mall, which I admit I mostly see Mexicans buying from. The gringos are buying from the excellent Mexican food place next door, or sandwiches from the Scandinavian Deli, or whatever it is called these days. Then there is a Walmart/Autozone. There was a Denny's in Guadalajara, serving very crappy food in the 1970's, but what kept it alive was a 24 hour operation which became a gay meeting spot when gay clubs were illegal there. There are now many U.S. franchises in tourist areas and large Mexican middle class cities. But small towns like Chapala, Jocotepec, Cajijitlan - no way is that a trend.

Franchises are a very expensive option for Mexican business people, because head office usually insists that product and packaging must be shipped/imported from their warehouse/distribution chain, paid for in U.S. dollars. For example, I have heard that Cheesecake Factory in Guadalajara  imports 90% of its food frozen from the U.S.A.

Anyways, this thread has makes its course, if any of this goes in Eye the Lake, the thread would have to cherry picked. Which I have no problem with at all. The only reason this thread is still open is because Big Daddy Admin was the one who started it.

Agree with Chillin.  This is probably run its course but the thread starter, being the big dog here, gets to decide when to close.  However, I'm going to start editing it to keep it on track.  Please refer back to the OP before you post, thanks.

A liaison organization for the Expat community to form a unified voice to represent it to the powers that be, i.e. Government, IMSS, INM, other services. This would provide a place for all parties involved to obtain a source of information to aid a better understanding or what can and can't be accomplished. There is strength in numbers!

Good thoughts Alpha1 - but there is a fundamental flaw. The expats have no voting power here - there is no strength in numbers. If you think that is not important, you don't understand how Mexican politics works - votes are bought and sold, to oversimplify it. Once you get over that, making living in Lakeside better will have nothing to do web boards, it will have to do with volunteerism and proactive activities.

Archived