Chapala.com Webboard

What would you suggest that might make living at Lakeside even better?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will get some of those things, when a major population increase of more affluent people (no matter their origin) occurs in and around the Lake.  Of course, if that happens there may be nothing but pedestrians, with the nearest parking in Cajititlan and shuttles to Chapala, where zippy little streetcars with be the only option on the carretera. It will be more ‘upscale“ and prices will match.  Just look at what is happening in the current hot spots; especially Playa del Carmen, Cabo San Lucas, etc.  Who would actually want to live there?   Potential expats are already having second thoughts about the local effects of growth, crowding and the failure of the infrastructure/local government to keep up.

Basically, this place has become a suburb of Guadalajara.  As for the local government it appears they are too busy keeping our money to keep up with even the basic services these days.

Being this close to a city of 6 million plus is both a blessing and a curse.  It requires a local government that is very vigilant and firm about protecting the character of the community and we sure don't have that.

Yes, they have proven it to be very difficult. A continuing influx of NOBers who demand that the area change to be more like where they came from adds to the challenge.

I'm pretty happy with things as they are.  Sure the pot holes, the topes and the inconsistent garbage pick up can be frustrating but it is part of what I signed on for when I chose to retire here.  But one thing that I would like to see changed which would likely have a positive affect for everyone is the littering.  We have followed cars where the windows are opened up and whole bags of garbage are just tossed out.  The bypass is an example where there are piles of garbage here and there but then maybe it is an official dumping area; I don't know.  But the one thing that I think was affective NOB many, many years ago and that most of us retired folks remember is the "don't be a litter bug" and similar campaigns that we grew up with.  To throw garbage out of a car window or on the ground as I walk along would be unthinkable and it is probably a subconscious norm developed in my earliest days via those long ago efforts NOB to place litter where it belongs: in a container meant for refuse. 

When Mexicans, in large numbers, find litter offensive littering will stop and probably not until then. I just don't see them caring very much.

Three professional Guadalajarans, the last one an Orthopedic Surgeon, have told me that the unique appeal of Chapala was its greenery, clear air, and placid Lake. They experience a feeling of relaxation and peace when they visit here. I know the Chapala Ecologico people at City Hall are enforcing tree cutting permits, and are dedicated to keeping everything green, and full of oxygen. So as far as making anything better, just keep up the good work. As far as garbage and cracked streets in Ajijic, maybe that is more of a symptom of many years of defining yourself a "village", an island unto itself, rather than a part of Chapala.

11 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

As far as garbage and cracked streets in Ajijic, maybe that is more of a symptom of many years of defining yourself a "village", an island unto itself, rather than a part of Chapala.

Oh for sure.  No doubt the folks in Riberas and other parts of the municipio are equally to blame for the lack of services in their communities.

There you have it folks.  Just swear fealty to Chapala and your worries are over!  :)

47 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

When Mexicans, in large numbers, find litter offensive littering will stop and probably not until then. I just don't see them caring very much.

I know someone who lives right across from the large public high school in Las Redes area of Chapala. Never seen any litter there on the streets around there, and the teens put all their litter in a barrel, if the barrel is full, they take the bag out and put in a new one. It is a generational thing, and kids today are programmed "green" in the schools, starting at an early age. This was the same in Canada, beginning in the 1980's. Teaching kids to be proactive about the environment.

2 minutes ago, betty7 said:

when have you ever drank tap water anywhere? MC: the plan to bridge ajijic w/guadalajara has been in place for many years. started w/building the highway. abut 15 years ago there was an artical about what was expected. fast food, parking lots, tour busses, & theme parks. if you had read this you would not have come here. dont understand this mex vs US thing. spent my entire life mall free car free untill i came here. i predict there will not be a village in a few years. most streets will be torn down & apartment buildings as replacements. as ugly as guad.

As long as you brought it up....why did you decide to move here ?  There had to be something that you liked.  Or did I miss something ? 

1 minute ago, betty7 said:

was here prior to that artical. the theme park thing was vetoed but it will happen. something about bringing 10,000 people & jobs. the newsletter which wrote this is no longer printed. it was saying that people should think twice before coming.

betty are you trying to get this thread closed?

Most of us knew the condition of street, customs, people, and animals (loose cows, horses, dogs)... Thus accepting all the above as a charm of this area. What I have heard most is surprise of theft/crime, due to lack of surveillance. 

Expat presence of course brings pros/cons to this area.  One pro for residents is a boon to the economy.  Maybe some of that could be spent on surveillance in the form of street security cameras.

Footage to back up whom was near a property or crime site, following the report of an incident would be most valuable and a deterrent. 

Okay, the topic was.....

I would change the last word to bearable.  The place is an overcrowded, dirty, politically corrupt, boring, noisy and dreadful place to live. Blow it up and start over.

1 minute ago, El Menudo said:

Okay, the topic was.....

I would change the last word to bearable.  The place is an overcrowded, dirty, politically corrupt, boring, noisy and dreadful place to live. Blow it up and start over.

....and you are leaving when???

3 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

Okay, the topic was.....

Well that certainly was threatening.... goodness..   Sooo why did you decide to live here ? 

I'm not buying into this massive development idea, if this were the case "Little" Lake Chapala - Laguna de Cajititlan, just the other side of the mountain, would be overdeveloped. There are some wonderful new developments there, much more history and folklore, and it is at least fifteen minutes closer to Guadalajara. The only thing it "lacks", is small percentage of English only speakers.

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

You will get some of those things, when a major population increase of more affluent people (no matter their origin) occurs in and around the Lake.  Of course, if that happens there may be nothing but pedestrians, with the nearest parking in Cajititlan and shuttles to Chapala, where zippy little streetcars with be the only option on the carretera. It will be more ‘upscale“ and prices will match.  Just look at what is happening in the current hot spots; especially Playa del Carmen, Cabo San Lucas, etc.  Who would actually want to live there?   Potential expats are already having second thoughts about the local effects of growth, crowding and the failure of the infrastructure/local government to keep up.

".....a major population increase of more affluent people ......"

I see a tsunami of people coming in, not to spend but to save. This is not a Cabo or Playa del Carmen , where people go for 2 weeks to spend their little fortunes. So it will never happen Lakeside RV

1.I would like to keep Ajijic clean and authentic.....  much larger outdoor fresh produce market (more choices). The Wednesday market is  more or less just social spot and hard to move around.. Move it from Revolucion to bigger space and prohibit "gringo" prices. Although, reading this webboard makes me think that people have no kitchens. There is such love for local eateries so maybe not a good idea.

1a. Prohibit American consumer chains of any kind close to the village..

2.Better use of the lake front for people to enjoy, such as floating platforms to sit on and enjoy the fabulous Ajijic sunsets.... no food (no litter, keep it clean).. no blasting music but some classical, jazzy concerts and art displays along the malecon (not plaza).... kids art too and no China made trinkets, plenty of that someplace else. There is still so much talent around. But I feel there is not as much  emphasis on that like 20 years ago. Ajijic used to be a cultural center and would be nice to re-establish that rather than slowly change it to a commercial mecca for economic refugees..  Leave that for Chapala. Maybe some collective artist workshop as Moon used to have where you can see how Mexican art (or other) is being made. Bits and pieces can be enjoyed at the Feria but something local without hopping all over the town to peoples houses .LCS organization traditionally supported that .

3.More power and control over village affairs to local government away from Chapala.

4.Get the power lines in the village under control. Its a mess.

5.Restriction on 24 hrs barking dogs would be nice . One per family.

-

That is my vision of Ajijic. Yours might differ.

4 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I think he already left...

Yes, MC you are correct and I have never regretted it.  The thing is, my spouse wants to return.  Says he could be packed in thirty minutes.  I stay connected and read him the comments I see on this board, most of which are negative about the area, to support why I don't want to return.  Don't want to name names but you know who comments about the trash, noise etc etc.  I read them to him as a way to support why I wanted to get away.  For those who are happy there, I support you, but you gotta admit that it ain't gettin' any better.  The time we spent there was great but I don't want to ever return.  Just wish I could convince him of that.  If it comes to it I will schedule a trip back and see if it changes his mind.  Do you think that would be a good idea?  Not trying to be ugly, just stating how I feel.

1 hour ago, PORTIMOM said:

Most of us knew the condition of street, customs, people, and animals (loose cows, horses, dogs)... Thus accepting all the above as a charm of this area. What I have heard most is surprise of theft/crime, due to lack of surveillance. 

Expat presence of course brings pros/cons to this area.  One pro for residents is a boon to the economy.  Maybe some of that could be spent on surveillance in the form of street security cameras.

Footage to back up whom was near a property or crime site, following the report of an incident would be most valuable and a deterrent. 

Safer community re break ins/crime. 

Archived