Chapala.com Webboard

Satellite TV

Denise

We just moved into our beautiful new home in San Juan Cosala, Raquet Club. A satellite guy came to our home and offered us two options; 

A. Shaw TV - total to start up $1200 US. It included receiver blah, blah and first three months. He gave the price in pesos but that's what it was in US. There's a satellite dish on the roof now.

B. DISH - $120 a month and he said that we needed to pay a year upfront. 

Was he for real or just trying to get over?

We don't mind paying more in order to have American channels and HBO, so can I have some serious input on our next move, we are willing to compromise but would like some American channels. 

Which provider/company gave you the quote? If you're not Canadian you have to use a go between to get Shaw. Sometimes word of mouth to join a stacking group. Nose around. Check the ads in the GR. We used Mike Merriman of Satellite Systems for Dish which you also need a phony address for.

We now use SKY and streaming for our TV viewing. If you are Amazon Prime you can add HBO and use a VPN on your computer and send it to your TV with an HDMI cable. Your budget is the determining factor on how you skin the cat.

I do love my US channels (I'm a prisoner of PBS), but I only get them with a link to someone in Canada, who used to have a father here, which is why i have had this for 12 years. A tenuous link, but it has worked for me--my only illegitimate activity here! Alas, the satellites are changing, so I am not sure how long this is going to last! The fact is, I probably would not stay here if I could not get US TV channels or something equivalent in English--BBC or whatever.

15 hours ago, Denise said:

We just moved into our beautiful new home in San Juan Cosala, Raquet Club. A satellite guy came to our home and offered us two options; 

A. Shaw TV - total to start up $1200 US. It included receiver blah, blah and first three months. He gave the price in pesos but that's what it was in US. There's a satellite dish on the roof now.

We don't mind paying more in order to have American channels and HBO, so can I have some serious input on our next move, we are willing to compromise but would like some American channels. 

I have shaw, if you get your dish and receiver we can share the monthly cost .

for local and US channels SKY is the best you DO not have to pay 1 year up front,I honestly think the guy is trying to get you

I am in the Raquet club as well if you like get in touch with me rennicint@yahoo.com or 7610021

my new house had Dish and I'm a Shaw Loyalist. Anyone know what the system is worth/ want it? There is a guy who dismounted the shaw disk from my old house and installed all in the new house, added an outlet in the kitchen and made sure everything worked in the rest of the house for 2000 pesos.

We pay CP Electronics each year, in advance. It is about $1100 per year. I have the standard 8' dish for Satellite 119 and they recently installed a smaller dish to access the Satellite 77 so we have uninterrupted tv even during the rain.

I have had basic Dish for 9 years with the large dish and smaller dish for HD and pay $75 a month. This was set up by Mike Merryman at Ajijic Electronics and has worked well except in the rain and the cost. I have posted here recently about the new internet streaming service called LakesideStream that on paper seems like a Godsend. For $20 a month for one year ($25 one month trial period) with a Roku Stick you can get literally hundreds of channels off the internet rain or shine. I posted here and asked for anyone that has subscribed to this for positive or negative feedback and got 1 OK and a few disgruntled responses from some that signed up for a one year subscription at a presentation at the  American Legion. I called Cynthia Ornelas who was a supposed contact on a flyer that have for this service but after many calls going to voicemail and leaving messages i have not received a return call. Is this service for real? Are there any satisfied clients here Lakeside? Negative is also allowed on this forum. Gracias

I

9 minutes ago, cedros said:

Not really.

Am I living in the twilight zone? What are you talking about? This is probably illegal and somebody has to pay. My simple question is what about LakeSteam for $20 a month with hundreds of channels from the internet, no dish and no rain interruption? Is this for real or is it a fantasy? Simple question.

@Gringohombre, the correct point of contact for LakeSideStream is Efi Gartner; you can reach him via e-mail at this address: mgmt.lakesidestream@gmail.com

I have used lakesidestream since February. It is a resale streaming service that provides access to many channels. While it is weather independent, it can have buffering problems or disruptions at the source. Also, like almost all streaming services, Roku tries to invalidate the streaming providers, so they often have to change the account channel name, which means you have to go through a process to reinstall the channel.  This can result in loss of access for hours to days. Sometimes channels come in without sound or picture for a time.  It is not very consistent, but it is cheap. It will often work just fine for weeks, then suddenly go bad for days on end. Hope this helps.

11 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Am I living in the twilight zone? What are you talking about? This is probably illegal and somebody has to pay. My simple question is what about LakeSteam for $20 a month with hundreds of channels from the internet, no dish and no rain interruption? Is this for real or is it a fantasy? Simple question.

No it is called reality. Working the system. I have a legal Canadian address but many Americans I know who have Shaw don't. They use a Canadian address that someone tells them they can use. That American has no actual connection with that Canadian address. 

On 6/29/2017 at 9:45 PM, Denise said:

Just curious about the Shaw--my heart is in my throat--was that price quoted you Mike from Ajijic Electronics? I thought the new boxes sold for $250 Canadian each, but with a 12 month agreement with Shaw for certain packages, per the website the first box is free, and monthly package around 50 to 60 Canadian for first year. So I don't see how it can add up to 1200 usd to install, unless my numbers are way off.

And I am really concerned now 'cuz I just got 2 receivers hooked up to an existing dish on the roof, I never thought to ask, I figured it would be about $500 USD or so, given the box prices (first free, 2nd $250) and then Ajijic Electronics' profit on top. Hubby will faint if he hears it is $1200!!!!!!!

Archived