Chapala.com Webboard

Trash Report from Municipal attorney and Ajijic Delegado

HarryB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, johanson said:

I have had a water meter on my house since 2008. So does my next door  neighbor in upper Ajijic, I know that I am using much less water, now that I only pay for what I use.

That`s very interesting!  I didn`t know anyone had water meters here.  I wonder how many do.  Do you live in a gated community and do all of the people in your community have meters?  Are others reading this metered?

No I do not live in a gated community I live in upper Ajijic above Las Salvias.

There were several hundred meters installed  in about 2010 when I checked with The Simapa office in Chapala which was in charge of the greater Chapala municipality including San Antonio and Ajijic when I was writing Tech Talk for the Guadalajara Reporter. I got the idea when interviewing them at about that time that their goal was to eventually put a meter on everyone's residence but that the cost of doing so would mean that they would be expanding slowly.

I have no idea whether there are now more meters or not, but I believe so. They have a meter reader who goes from metered house to metered house once per month and my usage is recorded, even though I pay each year in advance.

You might try requesting a meter installation and see what happens. I am very careful with water and that started in Canada over thirty years ago with a really good quality water well that didn't produce very much.

We were the first ones in San Pancho to have a water meter and that was because I balked at their "guesstimate". I was correct. How you use your water is your business but wasting it affects ALL of us in the end.

I have rwo water meters, one on the house and one on the garden, I pay way more money thatn I used to.. If people had to pay the price for the large garden they would not go on meters and would use less water if they did...

2 hours ago, bdmowers said:

That`s very interesting!  I didn`t know anyone had water meters here.  I wonder how many do.  Do you live in a gated community and do all of the people in your community have meters?  Are others reading this metered?

About 20 homes had water meters installed in my nearby fraccionamiento and they were read monthly for several years. Reading of the meters was stopped after they realized a number of them weren't working properly and what did you do with people who were using too much water. They won't pay for the difference.

An amazing number of pool owners whose water supply is hot water use this to heat their  pools. In advance they lower the pool level (often into the street). Then they top their pool up with hot water from their wells. They use a huge amount of water.

I had to have my meter replaced because when the water Simapa water pumps were turned off air got into the lines, I live at the top of Ajijic, and when they started pumping water into the pipes my meter would spin like mad as the air came charging up the hill to the open valve to fill my Aljibe.  I didn't like the fact the air before the water also spun my meter

Simapa finally replaced the air relief valve right before my meter that was supposed to bleed off the air before the water reached my meter. All of a sudden the meter began working properly and I was rewarded for using less water

15 hours ago, bmh said:

I have rwo water meters, one on the house and one on the garden, I pay way more money thatn I used to.. If people had to pay the price for the large garden they would not go on meters and would use less water if they did...

So you are billed then accordingly to the meter?  What agency bills you?

15 hours ago, cedros said:

About 20 homes had water meters installed in my nearby fraccionamiento and they were read monthly for several years. Reading of the meters was stopped after they realized a number of them weren't working properly and what did you do with people who were using too much water. They won't pay for the difference.

An amazing number of pool owners whose water supply is hot water use this to heat their  pools. In advance they lower the pool level (often into the street). Then they top their pool up with hot water from their wells. They use a huge amount of water.

Were these homeowners billed according to their meters, bypassing the regular yearly amount everyone else pays?

17 hours ago, johanson said:

No I do not live in a gated community I live in upper Ajijic above Las Salvias.

There were several hundred meters installed  in about 2010 when I checked with The Simapa office in Chapala which was in charge of the greater Chapala municipality including San Antonio and Ajijic when I was writing Tech Talk for the Guadalajara Reporter. I got the idea when interviewing them at about that time that their goal was to eventually put a meter on everyone's residence but that the cost of doing so would mean that they would be expanding slowly.

I have no idea whether there are now more meters or not, but I believe so. They have a meter reader who goes from metered house to metered house once per month and my usage is recorded, even though I pay each year in advance.

Are you billed then for this recorded use, or is this just for record-keeping purposes?  Or do you only pay the standard yearly fee?

I am billed based upon my usage. The primary reason they put meters in is to motivate us to use less water. And just like the rest of the world, one is billed based upon consumption. Simapa has their own meter readers.

2 hours ago, bdmowers said:

Were these homeowners billed according to their meters, bypassing the regular yearly amount everyone else pays?

Here billing isn't really based on usage. If someone uses a lot more than they should be using that property will have an extra assessment but they usually won't pay the extra.

I and my neighbors pay based upon what each of our water meters say. However during a several month period I noticed a much higher usage than I could have used. It was determined that my meter was spinning as the air came up the pipes before the water arrived each day. They fixed the air release valve and upon an appeal by my part to the Ajijic Simapa office, my usage numbers were decreased.

Archived