Chapala.com Webboard

Question for cat and bird lovers

Question for bird and cat lovers: I really want to bring my cat here to Ajijic. Problem is she loves to catch birds and my beautiful garden is full of them. So far I've not found a new home for her back in the states and the house closes the end of June. Waaaahhh! Any suggestions from anyone? She has lived as an outside/inside cat and we have our doors open all the time, so keeping her inside isn't an option. Has anyone every tried the birdbesafe collar? Thanks.

Isn't there an old nursery story about belling the cat??? That would be a concept.

Most birds will escape the cat. And they will avoid the cat. You will have fewer (but smarter) birds in your garden soon IMO. They may even tease the cat--I have seen this!

If you want to play it safe, perhaps you could consider hanging wind chimes or reflective metal whirly things (I can't remember what they are called) -- something to scare off the birds. Or keep the cat indoors in early morning and late evening when the birds are most active. Hope these ideas help!

Wherever you're coming from, this is DIFFERENT. Cats who are allowed to go outdoors (there is no such thing as an escape-proof garden or yard) are subject to risks from all corners. Dogs who kill cats for fun or food. Kids who think it's fun to torment. Poison --- put out on purpose or simply to control rats and mice. Feral cats carrying all manner of contagious diseases from Feline Leukemia to FIP, FIV, and a host of others.

I used to think cats HAD to be allowed to  be indoor/outdoor. After losing two to poison and one to eating lizards that scratched her throat going down and caused a MASSIVE and  too-fast-to-control infection, I closed the doors on the ones that were left. That was over 15 years ago, and I've never allowed a cat outside since. I also still have the next one in (now 14)......... and the one after that.... and the three after that...

Was it tough for the 4 still alive at the time to adjust? Yes, for 1 week to 1 month, depending on the cat. Did they do it? Yes.. Were they safer and healthier? YES.

And.....a BIG bonus ---- no more flies and mosquitoes in the house! :)

So don't fob your cat off on someone else, trusting they will care for him/her like you have. Bring the cat.... but remember "this aint' Kansas".

cats like to catch birds. mine brought one up 3 flights of strairs, left it next to my bed to show me. its like giving me a gift. youre supposed to pet them, thank them as they are proud. i screamed when i woke up, but later realized hes just being a cat. i cant rememeber how i got rid of it. if they catch mice they line them up in a perfect line for thier owner to see. 

My sister in law loves all animals, including birds. he cat love to kills birds and she loves birds also. The cat kept loosing the breakaway collars with bell on it. So now she makes these little bibs (like baby bibs) and puts it on the cat. It's hysterical to see the cat,outside with it, but he doesn't get birds anymore:D

Bells aren't very effective (usually they don't ring until the cat is leaping for the bird) and, as Natasha noted, an outside cat is at risk of disease, accidents, attack, and poisoning. Would your cat accept a playmate? We've had two sets of two indoor cats; they kept each other occupied and didn't need to go outside. You could also consider a "catio" in your outside place; they're more and more popular and recommended for bird conservation. I've provided a couple of links below.

The Cat's Meow

Portland Audubon Society

Archived