Chapala.com Webboard

pleased with new owners of Roberto's restaurante

JayBearII

We've been there twice, and the menu is the same as Bobby's old menu, but even better!!! Owners are an accountant (he) and a chef (her), which should be a great combo for success! It is a nice cool spot for these warm days--shade and a breeze!

The her of the new owners is not cooking to my knowledge. The same wait staff and chef are still working there. The name has remained the same because the husband's name is Robert -- he goes by Bob. Same menu so far. Bobby sold because he was needing to slow down and take care of some medical issues. 

We went there for lunch and were hoping that the food had improved because the setting is so pleasant, especially in the warmer months.  The new owner, Bob, is very welcoming.  The service was attentive.  The carrot fritters were served quickly, but sadly, were a "rerun" and greasy.  One bite sufficed.  One of us ordered Pad Thai and the other, Chicken Curry.  The curry had a unfamiliar sauce, but was good.  The other ordered Pad Thai.  Not so good.  The chicken had been over marinated, with the texture of moosh.  The noodles were flavorful but there was an excess of red and green peppers.  Very attractive presentation. I know that I might well have been happier with another dish since there were many attractive lunch offerings, and we will give it another chance....but I can't recommend the Pad Thai.

I'm a fan of Bobby and hope his health issues have a good outcome.

We were there last night with another couple. Service was very attentive and the kitchen was efficient. We received our soups / salads within 2-3 minutes of placing our orders. The carrot fritters we were served were crispy and not greasy. The four entrees at our table were Seabass Elegante, Flounder, Spaghetti Bolognese and the Chicken Curry. Everyone was pleased with their food. We met Bob and his wife (Janelle, maybe?). They came by after we'd ordered and introduced themselves and cleared salad plates. Bob stopped back at the end of our meal to see if we were satisfied. It was 2 for 1 Friday night and there was keyboard music, background level. Overall, we were happy, the setting was airy, and they're celebrating Bobby's (the original one) birthday there on the 15th!!!

38 minutes ago, kbleitch said:

We were there last night with another couple. Service was very attentive and the kitchen was efficient. We received our soups / salads within 2-3 minutes of placing our orders. The carrot fritters we were served were crispy and not greasy. The four entrees at our table were Seabass Elegante, Flounder, Spaghetti Bolognese and the Chicken Curry. Everyone was pleased with their food. We met Bob and his wife (Janelle, maybe?). They came by after we'd ordered and introduced themselves and cleared salad plates. Bob stopped back at the end of our meal to see if we were satisfied. It was 2 for 1 Friday night and there was keyboard music, background level. Overall, we were happy, the setting was airy, and they're celebrating Bobby's (the original one) birthday there on the 15th!!!

Slight correction: I picked up the flyer about Bobby's birthday.  It says the party is on "Saturday, May 20th from 6-9 pm.  All drinks 2 for 1 & birthday cake.   DJ Howard will be spinning tunes ".

The carrot fritters are delicious the first time, freshly made.  Another story when re-fried from a previous batch. Glad you had a good experience.  Next time, I'll try the fish.

We had the flounder and it was very good.  A large serving and not the typical thin piece of over done/over sauced fare that we have received elsewhere.  Also had the crab cakes ...  all very good and fresh.  The carrot fritters were freshly made, not greasy and is a favorite of mine.

• Like 1

A group of us went there today, Friday.  Food very good.  Many people coming in.  Bob came and checked on all of us and asked how everything was. Service excellent. I had the fish and chips, lighted breaded with Panko, delicious, however, the slaw was finely ground up and mushy.  I did tell him about the mushy slaw and he said he would work on it.  This is a keeper.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:53 PM, JayBearII said:

We've been there twice, and the menu is the same as Bobby's old menu, but even better!!! Owners are an accountant (he) and a chef (her), which should be a great combo for success! It is a nice cool spot for these warm days--shade and a breeze!

The new owners are Bob and Janelle. Yes, He is an accountant and she worked in the restaurant business for 10 years. She was not a chef. Just thought I'd clear that up. The same chef is still there that worked for Bobby along with the entire wait staff. There is a retirement/birthday celebration for Bobby tomorrow night 6-9 pm. I have heard as of today that they are expecting a crowd, so reservations are probably necessary at this point. 

Is the old menu back or the last one with lots of strange fish dishes, I was disappointed and have not returned since. Roberto is a nice person I know of his med problems hope he will pull it off again.

• 1 year later...

Ate there Saturday night, newly renamed Janelle's Kitchen. Everything was really pretty good. Best-cooked deep-fried calamari rings I've had in decades, which is to say they were not rubbery at all. I splurged on everything deep fried: the combo of fish, shrimp and scallops with fries, in panko. Cooked nicely, tasted fine, although too much deep-fry can get to anyone. French fries were hand cut and good. Salads included were excellent and fresh. Interestingly, the calamari came with its own yummy salad, so I would have had soup instead as an appetizer, had I known. The chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke had no spinach, but came with a yummy sauce and a big plate of creamy bacon fettucini, just a huge meal. Prices are way up there, though: never have I paid $190 for chicken. On the other hand, I've had the same amount of bacon fettucini all by itself for $120, so I cannot complain. The deep-fried seafood dinner was $240. Just a bit rich for my blood.

Service was top-notch, with maybe three or four other tables in attendance. Tall glasses of limonada were 20p. Dinner came with the usual carrot croquet's which, in all the years I've been going to Roberto's, have been overcooked but tasty.

The regular menu is relatively small, which appeals to some people. Being Saturday, they also had a full menu of grilled items, like lamb, ribs and steaks.

The restaurant is now called Janelle's. We go there regularly, have been very pleased with the food including the new items they have added to the menu.

5 hours ago, JayBearII said:

The restaurant is now called Janelle's. We go there regularly, have been very pleased with the food including the new items they have added to the menu.

I'm glad to hear that.  Shortly after the new owners took over, we had a disastrous lunch there and never returned.  Sounds like time to give it another try.

• 3 months later...

We went again on Saturday night, and tried out the BBQ specials. Both Ribeye and arrechera were very good, as were other dishes and the service and sides. Prices are getting up there, though. Maybe this is a place we can count on for consistency? I hope so.

Today, the traffic was unbelievable going East, so we headed West to Janelle's for lunch. We both ordered the curry with chicken dish.  Delicious, with a fine chutney on the side, and a generous serving.  The bread served as soon as we arrived was very fresh and served with a spiced butter spread.  Lunch prices in general were very reasonable, with many items under $100 pesos.

I'll give is a YES!  Much improved.  Good service and an interesting menu.  The only misstep is the carrot fritters served.  Terrible. Greasy and tasteless; even worse than the overcooked ones Bobby used to serve.  But.....who needs carrot fritters?  So, overall:  great lunch. Glad we went back.🙂

I don't ever remember the traffic being this bad at noon especially going East. I too had to turn around and drive West for Lunch. Getting back home on the side streets was bad, but much faster than the Carretera.

Just now, johanson said:

I don't ever remember the traffic being this bad at noon especially going East. I too had to turn around and drive West for Lunch. Getting back home on the side streets was bad, but much faster than the Carretera.

It's probably because of being Easter week.  In addition, it's Tiangus day.  Still..........worse than I've ever seen.