Chapala.com Webboard

Work possibilities for an American

Lisa S

We are seriously considering moving to Lake Chapala area. My husband is ready to retire but I am still very interested in continuing to work as I am a bit younger. What are the options for Americans to find a job?  I have a finance background but would be happy with anything that keeps me busy and my mind sharp.  Any advise is greatly appreciated.  

You need a special type of Visa to obtain employment in Mexico, and too often you're taking a job away from an under employed or unemployed young person. I agree with Pappy, there are tons of volunteer opportunities and many can use someone with a financial background.

• Like 2

On line work paid from a foreign source is allowed and nothing else is required.  

To work and be paid in Mexico requires first a Temporary Resident visa and then apply again locally for Permiso Para Trabajar visa. First though you register with SAT for taxation. More here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html   Any time you change employer or type of work you have 90 days to inform INM.

Mexican wages will be dramatically less than those paid in Canada or the US. 

• Like 1

Agree with jrm30655. You might wish to contact past employers to see if you can be of assistance via on line and as a 1099 contractor. On line makes much more sense than trying to find a position here in Mexico due to immigration and financial considerations.

12 hours ago, jrm30655 said:

Look for a job on the internet.  I've been here 9 years and always had a job of some kind on the internet.

Anything that you can do sitting at a desk with a computer can be done anywhere in the world now.

Which websites do you recommend for online internet based work?

There is no reason why you could not start your own business given that you obtained the correct paperwork. You would first want to live in the area for awhile to assess what businesses already exist in the fields you are proficient at, and determine if you can come up with something that is lacking. If no one has thought of setting up a particular business, you are not taking jobs away from underemployed or unemployed Mexicans. (kinda like folks up north believing that Mexicans are taking all their jobs, when in fact they themselves have not been anxiously awaiting a job opportunity cleaning other peoples' toilets or crawling around in the hot sun picking tomatoes).

This is what I did 15 years ago, and in all that time have had no competition, and am always swamped with work. Altho being swamped with work is possibly not what you are wanting or envisioning.

Consider gaining the TEFL Certificate in a quality certificate course in Guadalajara. Check out programs for such at Vancouver Language Center, ITTO and used be be one of their teacher trainers. It's a quality course. One month intensive. The school promises you work after you receive the certificate, and there are schools that hire Native Speakers here at lakeside. I have been teaching in Guadalajara and lakeside on and off since 2006. I really enjoy this type of work. 

PM me if you like more info.

Post Script OP:

I have worked in some of the companies located between lakeside and the city teaching executives and accounts and the like business english. pays well, and your finance background would be an asset.

You can always try remote work from home. All you need is a computer, good internet connection, and a headset. You can send your resume to applicant@answeranytime.com if you are interested. I used to work there, it is a pretty chill job, you are basically a virtual receptionist answering calls for the different type of businesses like plumbing, a/c, lawyers, dentists, doctors, etc. You just take the messages and sometimes schedule appointments. The pay is somewhat low, starting at $7.50USD and after a month you can earn $9.50USD/HR, really nice work environment. They do not do any background check.

Very cool, Eddie C!

My pension doesn't quite meet the requirement with the new exchange rate, so that could be a possibility for me!  Going back to my first job, like...  :lol:

Very good of you to post it.

Do they have a website where I might learn more about them before sending a resume?

I have a friend doing exactly what several suggested here, working as a consultant to past employers or other contacts.  Everyone loves the deal and his work is "done" in the U.S. and he gets paid there, drawing the money out subsequently using an ATM.  It is perfectly legal and many locations here have fast enough internet service now to make it work smoothly.

• 3 years later...
On 5/7/2017 at 1:03 PM, Eddy C said:

Yes, their website is answeranytime.com you can go ahead and check it out and see what they are all about.

If you live here but work remote back with US companies - who do you pay taxes on income to, US, MX or both?

On 4/30/2017 at 6:57 AM, Lisa S said:

Thanks to everyone for their response.  I have a lot to look at. 

Lisa, my very young in her 20's friend had a job with ABC teaching english on line to school children in China.  She loved the interaction and freedom to work from home.  I met another girl here who does the same thing.  They work in the wee hours of the morning for only a few hours.   The paycheck was just deposited into her U.S. account.  No permanent visa required.  Just a good internet connection and good english skills.  They started requiring a degree.  So if you have a degree this might be an option.  Some companies do not require that you have a degree, but pay less.  Good luck

Edited by Shag
misspelled word

If you work online for a US company and your payments are from the USA you will pay US taxes. If you are paid from Mexico you will pay Mexico taxes plus file US taxes with a credit for foreign earnings and if your last residence was California you need to deal with them as well.

5 hours ago, Shag said:

Lisa, my very young in her 20's friend had a job with ABC teaching english on line to school children in China.  She loved the interaction and freedom to work from home.  I met another girl here who does the same thing.  They work in the wee hours of the morning for only a few hours.   The paycheck was just deposited into her U.S. account.  No permanent visa required.  Just a good internet connection and good english skills.  They started requiring a degree.  So if you have a degree this might be an option.  Some companies do not require that you have a degree, but pay less.  Good luck

You are addressing a poster who started this thread over 3 years ago. I doubt Lisa needs any advice on this anymore.