Chapala.com Webboard

How happy are you with Netflix?

suegarn

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Mainecoons said:

I can stream either CNN or Fox News on UTube through my Roku device, for free.

Strong VPN has managed to stay ahead of NetFlix blocking with few interruptions.  NetFlix U.S. has a great deal more content then Netflx Mexico.  We switch back and forth between the two by either selecting TelMex on our primary router or Strong on our VPN.

PBS is available on Roku when connected through Strong.

We don't bother with the network channels, nothing we want to see there.

MaineCoons is absolutely right. There are also some other VPNs that thwart Netflix. If you try their free offer, you probably will get blocked, BUT if you talk w/the reps, they'll tell you which channels are still good. I watch Netflix US nearly every night, but often switch to Netflix Mex and get a heck of a variety of movies and series. Either way, Netflix is a good value and you can always cancel it. For around $10usd/month (taxes), what's not to like?

Almost forgot...I also watch Amazon Prime videos, too. You have to do a little homework, but there are some good, strong vpn providers that are reliable. I use a different one than the one mentioned, but if you Google, vpns for Netflix, you'll find 5 that are highly rated.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:44 PM, JoeM said:

I was in Chapala last winter, and bought a smart tv there. I need captions, and don't speak much Spanish. Lots of the Netflix shows are captioned in Spanish, and I found no way to get English captioning. When I return to Chapala from the US next month, I'm wondering if I should bring a tv with me, and sell the one I left in Chapala last Spring. Are the captioning capabilities of a tv sold in the US different from those of a tv sold in Mexico?

I hope this makes sense.

Just now, Eric Blair said:

U.S. law requires all TV sold there to have CC available. No such requirement in Mx.

Some movies have subtitles and they show well; you often have choices for languages on subtitles.

I have MX Netflix and it's good, just wish there were more movies w/CC English.

Just now, Eric Blair said:

U.S. law requires all TV sold there to have CC available. No such requirement in Mx.

Some movies have subtitles and they show well; you often have choices for languages on subtitles.

I have MX Netflix and it's good, just wish there were more movies w/CC English.

There are some titles on Mexican Netflix with captions, but not nearly enough.  What you really need is a VPN which hides your location so that you can watch U.S. Netflix, all of which has captions because of the Americans With Disabilities Act.  PM me if you want the name of a reliable VPN.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:43 PM, conejorapido said:

We pause content on Netflix all the time on our 5 year old Samsung smart tv. Just push the pause button on the remote.

Thanks. I do have a pause button but it does not seem to do anything when I push it. Other buttons seems to work OK but nothing with this one.

• 2 months later...

I just signed up for Amazon PRIME for US$99 per year including streaming videos. Had to change my Amazon billing address to Mx.

I would love more subtitles in English but for the very few pesos per momth, it's worth having both, plus free shipping to Mx.

So far I'm happy with the deals.

15 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

I just signed up for Amazon PRIME for US$99 per year including streaming videos. Had to change my Amazon billing address to Mx.

I would love more subtitles in English but for the very few pesos per momth, it's worth having both, plus free shipping to Mx.

So far I'm happy with the deals.

Eric, can you still use a US based credit card address or is your card registered to your Mexican address as well as the Amazon billing address?

I'll never understand why someone would pay to download movies and TV shows when they are free via torrent.

On my external HDs I have maybe 5000 films, all high def, all in English, at a cost of zero.  I have no VPN.  

Most of them are from a members only website called IPtorrents  All you have to do is upload what you download.  If you let yourself get behind more than 1GB you'll get a notice.  The notice will ask you to donate 5-50 USD.  And you must join up by way of a recommendation from a standing member.  I have 3 invites to my credit.  

Many of the films are highly BlueRay etc.  I've seen films on the list with 100GB or more.  I don't download those cause I have a slow connection.  And remember you'd have to leave all those GBs on your hard drive long enough for them to reach 100GB of upload credit.

I'd give you a link but they won't let you on the site till you're a member.  Never once have I gotten malware.  They are very professional.  

I have Netflux US and I don't have to use a VPN--is this because my credit card and billing address are in the US? 

I also have Amazon Prime with US billing info but somehow Amazon knows I am outside the US, so it's not workable, I have to resort to Amazon MX.

BTW, for those "stuck" with Netflix MX, there are a lot of high-quality foreign series that have English subtitles. Germany and Turkey have first-rate productions; Turkey's "The End" suspense drama has won numerous international awards. 

8 hours ago, kimanjome said:

I have Netflux US and I don't have to use a VPN--is this because my credit card and billing address are in the US? 

I also have Amazon Prime with US billing info but somehow Amazon knows I am outside the US, so it's not workable, I have to resort to Amazon MX.

BTW, for those "stuck" with Netflix MX, there are a lot of high-quality foreign series that have English subtitles. Germany and Turkey have first-rate productions; Turkey's "The End" suspense drama has won numerous international awards. 

No need to get "stuck" with Mexican Netflix.  Investigate Americans abroad sites, get a U.S. credit union account where expats are welcome and which will also give you a credit card.  No U.S. address needed.  Get ExpressVPN and you then have the full range of choices with Netflix.

4 hours ago, gringal said:

ExpressVPN and you then have the full range of choices with Netflix.

Another VPN choice--thank you.

I have found that although I don't need the VPN for Netflix (yet)  I DO need a VPN to access some of my banking, investment, and other sites from outside of the US. Even the website for the small storage unit I am renting in Florida will not allow me to access their website unless I am in the US. So, for the VPN is a must, regardless.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, gringal said:

I've been previewing the movie offerings before watching them by Googling them and getting reviews first. The  "Rotten Tomatoes" review site is my friend.

A few VPN's are still standing.  I have one of them and enjoy U.S. Netflix because captioning is available on all programs, and I need it. I also have access to Mexican Netflix.  On Mexican Netflix, you can select an option that will only list the shows with English captioning.  Saves a lot of searching. Leaving commercials behind has been a joy!

Same here. The VPN that I use not only gives me US Netflix (I have Mexican Netflix when I turn it off), but it also gives me Hulu and Amazon Prime. Since Hulu seems to be even more sensitive than Netflix, I know it's a keeper. If you get a good VPN, I think Netflix is definitely worth it. I've seen some great movies and series between the two sites. The hardest thing is deciding what to watch next. 

Archived