Chapala.com Webboard

How happy are you with Netflix?

suegarn

I use Netflix Mexico here in Ajijic. I used an IP blocker that worked for a while but Netflix is constantly looking for them an figuring out how to disable them, In fact, as Netflix kept blocking new solutions as I went from one to another I finally quit bothering with trying to get Netflix U.S. I don't get everything that is available in the U.S. but plenty of content for me with Netflix Mexico,

26 minutes ago, REC said:

I use Netflix Mexico here in Ajijic. I used an IP blocker that worked for a while but Netflix is constantly looking for them an figuring out how to disable them, In fact, as Netflix kept blocking new solutions as I went from one to another I finally quit bothering with trying to get Netflix U.S. I don't get everything that is available in the U.S. but plenty of content for me with Netflix Mexico,

Do you find that most of the shows available on Netflix Mexico are in English, or are they in Spanish with English subtitles?

I have a subscription to Netflix Mexico that I pay for with my Canadian CC card - $159 MX/mo. for the 4 HD device capability. I simultaneously use it in BOTH Mexico AND Canada (I am here right now and my wife is in Canada visiting family and using it there). The selection of movies is different depending on what country you are signing in from as Netflix detects your IP address and adjusts the delivered content to your screen. I am currently watching the series "La Reigna del Sur" here in Mexico (Spanish language with English subtitles) and my wife is watching "Grey's Anatomy" (English) in Canada.

I am pleased with the service. Works for us!!

I can stream either CNN or Fox News on UTube through my Roku device, for free.

Strong VPN has managed to stay ahead of NetFlix blocking with few interruptions.  NetFlix U.S. has a great deal more content then Netflx Mexico.  We switch back and forth between the two by either selecting TelMex on our primary router or Strong on our VPN.

PBS is available on Roku when connected through Strong.

We don't bother with the network channels, nothing we want to see there.

We have Roku streaming stick (Amazon Mexico) and Netflix Mexico, standard resolution (480) for 99 pesos per month. It seems to get all the original Netflix series (Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, etc.). I haven't seen a commercial for years, I think it would drive me nuts. Probably watch about 6 hours per week. The Roku lets you pick your subtitles and close captioning, which is good, so many years away from U.S.A. and Canada - it is sometimes hard to understand the dialog.

12 hours ago, Ezzie said:

I have a subscription to Netflix Mexico that I pay for with my Canadian CC card - $159 MX/mo. for the 4 HD device capability. I simultaneously use it in BOTH Mexico AND Canada (I am here right now and my wife is in Canada visiting family and using it there). The selection of movies is different depending on what country you are signing in from as Netflix detects your IP address and adjusts the delivered content to your screen. I am currently watching the series "La Reigna del Sur" here in Mexico (Spanish language with English subtitles) and my wife is watching "Grey's Anatomy" (English) in Canada.

I am pleased with the service. Works for us!!

I am hooked on La Reina del Sur...Kate de Castillo is a wonderful actress.

Another series she is in is "Ingovernable"...a must see in my opinion.

I always thought that Netflix was mostly movies and series. I am not much of a movie and series guy. Also I am not into reality or soap operas. My TV viewing consists of news, true crime, documentaries, PBS and some sports (mostly major events). I have a feeling that Netflix Mexico will not provide much of this and Netflix US presents many reception problems here. I might be wrong but woud like to get rid of my costly Dish TV and the reception problems with the rainy season coming soon. Gracias

You are correct in your assessment, Gringohombre.  We have Netflix in the USA, but have cable for all the programming that you want.  Netflix is for series, movies and occasional documentaries.  However, if you have a smart TV, and either WiFi or an internet cable connection to the TV, you may be able to get BBC, and other sites with other programming.  Note that you will have different choices on your smart TV if you change its “setup“ from Mexico to USA, etc.  Our living room TV is set for USA (where we are) and the one in the bedroom is still set for Mexico.  Give it a try.

We have subscribed to Netflix for almost a year and I am getting a little fed up with the problem of finding a good movie to watch. The search is tedious and on any given evening we might start 3 or 4 movies before finding one that is not an utter waste of time. I grant you we have seen some pretty good ones but they are few and hard to find. Any foreign film is offered in its original language and often no English translation is listed. We watch either directly on our smart TV (which is connected to the WiiFi)  or through the computer which we find is more convenient as you can pause the movie if necessary and this cannot be done using the TV directly. There is no news or TV channel access. Our movie choices are strictly the Mexican offerings. The search is made more difficult as the thumbnail sketches they show change so it is hard to be sure you have or have not already seen a particular movie until you actually start the film.

• 7 months later...

I was in Chapala last winter, and bought a smart tv there. I need captions, and don't speak much Spanish. Lots of the Netflix shows are captioned in Spanish, and I found no way to get English captioning. When I return to Chapala from the US next month, I'm wondering if I should bring a tv with me, and sell the one I left in Chapala last Spring. Are the captioning capabilities of a tv sold in the US different from those of a tv sold in Mexico?

I hope this makes sense.

On 4/15/2017 at 10:50 PM, Alfa said:

We have subscribed to Netflix for almost a year and I am getting a little fed up with the problem of finding a good movie to watch. The search is tedious and on any given evening we might start 3 or 4 movies before finding one that is not an utter waste of time. I grant you we have seen some pretty good ones but they are few and hard to find. Any foreign film is offered in its original language and often no English translation is listed. We watch either directly on our smart TV (which is connected to the WiiFi)  or through the computer which we find is more convenient as you can pause the movie if necessary and this cannot be done using the TV directly. There is no news or TV channel access. Our movie choices are strictly the Mexican offerings. The search is made more difficult as the thumbnail sketches they show change so it is hard to be sure you have or have not already seen a particular movie until you actually start the film.

I've been previewing the movie offerings before watching them by Googling them and getting reviews first. The  "Rotten Tomatoes" review site is my friend.

A few VPN's are still standing.  I have one of them and enjoy U.S. Netflix because captioning is available on all programs, and I need it. I also have access to Mexican Netflix.  On Mexican Netflix, you can select an option that will only list the shows with English captioning.  Saves a lot of searching. Leaving commercials behind has been a joy!

1 hour ago, gringal said:

I've been previewing the movie offerings before watching them by Googling them and getting reviews first. The  "Rotten Tomatoes" review site is my friend.

A few VPN's are still standing.  I have one of them and enjoy U.S. Netflix because captioning is available on all programs, and I need it. I also have access to Mexican Netflix.  On Mexican Netflix, you can select an option that will only list the shows with English captioning.  Saves a lot of searching. Leaving commercials behind has been a joy!

I like this idea but how do you find the option?

I read this on the net and found it to be true. The various streaming apps, Netflix, etc., will work better on a computer than on a smart TV or a box such as Roku. It has something to do with the way computer apps, as opposed to Roku or smart TV apps handle DNS addresses.

So if you have a way to cast your computer screen to your TV, you can access Netflix  US, Hulu and other streaming services with your VPN and have less chance of being geo blocked.

Many newer TVs provide ways of doing this. If your computer has an HDMI port you can do a physical hookup.

However, when you do this with Amazon, the background seems to go into slo-mo even though  the rest of the picture and sound is ok.

This is just another option to access US and Canadian Netflix.

4 hours ago, gringal said:

Click "browse", then select "audio and subtitles".

Hi, I opened Netflix on my PC and my smart TV and neither showed any "browse" option. when I select a movie to watch, I get the language and subtitle options but it only applies to that one selection. I have HDMI connections to my TV from my PC but it does not make much difference to what I can access. 

Look for the MENU button, then on the screen for something like SETTINGS or PREFERENCES, where you should be able to select CHANNELS, AUDIO or SOUND, and other things.  Usually, you then move to the right and you will find adjustments that you can make.  Once done, you can back out the way you came.  It took awhile, but I finally managed to create a channel list of favorites, which eliminates having to scroll through unwanted channels. 

12 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Look for the MENU button, then on the screen for something like SETTINGS or PREFERENCES, where you should be able to select CHANNELS, AUDIO or SOUND, and other things.  Usually, you then move to the right and you will find adjustments that you can make.  Once done, you can back out the way you came.  It took awhile, but I finally managed to create a channel list of favorites, which eliminates having to scroll through unwanted channels. 

Thanks

On 4/15/2017 at 10:50 PM, Alfa said:

We pause content on Netflix all the time on our 5 year old Samsung smart tv. Just push the pause button on the remote.

Archived