Chapala.com Webboard

Demand Telecable Rate Reduction

Natasha

Another poster suggested staff at Telecable will forward any letters presented at the Riberas office.People need to do this!  The squeaky wheel might get some action, even if only for this area.

My suggestion:  As well as demanding the return of 84 thru' 87, please also note in your letter that 61 (AXN) which at least was a source of second-run shows a lot of people like used to be available in English (when original program was in English) if you have the SAP option on your remote/TV. No longer!  So really, this means FIVE missing channels -- a SIX PERCENT reduction in service.

So ---- ask what rate reduction will be offered starting April 1 to compensate for these losses?

The more people get on the bandwagon, the better chance we have ... so for those who don't really have other options, get off your duff and get in there!

Note that the four major US channels were never on the official line-up of channels in the Telecable list for many years past. They were only available at Lake Chapala; not elsewhere, and were pirated by the local Telecable office through their large dishes. That analog system is now seemingly obsolete and unavailable. Those large dishes are very old & connection often failed on weekends, when there were no technicians available to service them.  As such, I doubt that it would be worth the effort for anyone to protest & demand a refund for unofficial, bonus, local pirated channels that no corporate official is likely to acknowledge ever having existed.

I would suggest upgrading to the digital service and using the SAT feature to maximize the number of English programs.  Other English language news sources are available on the internet.

I'm afraid RV hits the nail on the head here. All that stuff was pirated. It was only a matter of time before the pirated channels were gonzo... Since the staff made no suggestions as to upgrading or even asking about digital services, I fear it is a lost cause.

Here is a possible solution for some folks:

Go to US TVNow and peruse their site.  https://watch.ustvnow.com

Sign up for a free account, you can watch 7 channels but only on your computer. Includes the Nets (out of Harrisburg, PA).  If you get a lot of buffering, sorry, your internet connection is too slow. If you like or can live with the quality you can connect your computer to your TV with a HDMI cable and mirror the picture. Not my favorite work around but it is free. So then sign up for a month and see if the other channels you get are worth it for $19 for the first 3 months, then $29 thereafter. They also have a 1 day pass. On all the paid plans you can watch on all devices they list on their site.  For watching on your TV the easiest and simplest way is to buy and connect a Roku streaming device. Go to their site and learn about it and see their various options  https://www.roku.com/index  You can buy direct from them or on Amazon and lots of other retailers. Roku connects pretty easily via HDMI cable so order one of those also if you need one.  It's not perfect and sometimes buffers but for us it works. We have the DVR plan which is $39 after the first 3 months. Unlimited recording which is available for 30 days. You can watch and record and record more than 1 show at a time.  Not for everyone but they make it simple and free to try it out then they tease you in with the extras but only if you think it's worth it.

I should have added  a big caution:  All that other content you see on the Roku site is NOT available to us, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling, etc. as we are blocked here in Mexico unless someone like CG can figure out how to put a VPN on your router. US TVNOW DOES work because it is specifically FOR viewing outside the US. Some channels such as Smithsonian are not blocked but your Roku down here will be primarily for US TVNow.

Aware 84-87 were pirated..... but that doesn't mean they weren't there, and that we can't try. PLUS AXN (61) used to be available in English with SAP (if original program in English) and no longer.

SO.....today I went in a wrote a 5-point letter ( in Spanish, but I don't think it matters) which I, and two other ladies who were in there and hot under the collar, all signed including our account numbers. The girls in the office seemed eager to pass this on.

(1) Before IZZI bought Telecable, we had 14 months for 12 if paid in advance. You stopped that.

(2) You immediately raised the monthly rates -- a considerable increase for those paying on the 14 for 12 package..

(3) Several months ago, you removed the SAP English feature on AXN (61), where many could view second-run favorite shows. No longer.

(4) You have now removed 84-87, which is a serious inconvenience for many foreign residents in the Municipality of Chapala.

(5) If you refuse to reconsider the above, then please be aware we now have 4 less channels plus one (61) useless to most --- a reduction of 6% in the service we have been paying for. So what discount are you going to offer on this reduced service?

If MANY would take the time to go in there and do the same, OR get together and sign as a group (each with account number in place) and present them at the office, who knows? (You will note Spencer said in another related post they relented in Zapopan, and for a small additional fee, reinstated those missing.)

As for upgrading, you still cannot get networks CBS, NBC, ABC so those favorite nighttime shows are all gone for good.

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I should have added  a big caution:  All that other content you see on the Roku site is NOT available to us, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling, etc. as we are blocked here in Mexico unless someone like CG can figure out how to put a VPN on your router. US TVNOW DOES work because it is specifically FOR viewing outside the US. Some channels such as Smithsonian are not blocked but your Roku down here will be primarily for US TVNow.

I wish. Right now, it requires a third-party router than can be VPNd or DNSd, and retrofitted with a special BIOS in the firmware, to enable bypassing country restrictions and accessing NetFlix (et al). These routers are not easy to come by here, and I have no interest in trying to start a costly import business. Then the device has to be set up: your smartTV, Roku, whatever. Added to that, there are a myriad number of Android boxes with special requirements for "jailbreaking", even after one gets lucky and gets them set up with a signal strong enough to avoid constant hiccuping. Spending the time and money to find one reliable for using with everyone is way outside my purvue: unfortunately, just because it is "computerized", it doesn't fall into the space I need for regular repair work to PCs, Macs, iPhones, Android tablets and iPads, cell phone menus, telephone line installs, TV WiFi setups, building computers, recovering lost email passwords, photo uploading, etc. etc.

And then there is the continuing requirement for follow-up service. For the less-technically inclined, that is an ongoing (and frustrating for the customer) thing. I see a relatively untapped market here, except for the odd person who shows up briefly on this board making all kinds of promises.

AND most of this will not get you the networks anyway, so...

Tell that to the hundreds of disappointed people living lakeside. The ONLY way you are going to get U.S. NetFlix here without some special configuration is if you bought your TV or Roku/whatever in the U.S. and set up your account while there. Otherwise, it won't last long.

Archived