Chapala.com Webboard

La Guadalupana Restaurant - El Chante

cyntornelas

There is a new place to eat outside of Ajijic!  Try La Guadalupana in El Chante.  Going toward Joco, it's on the right side of the carretera before you get to the Farmacia Guadalajara.  I've been there twice and our food was delicious and the service great!  The building is absolutely beautiful!  It also serves as an eventos.  They are now service breakfast too.  CLOSED ON MONDAYS.  I hope you'll try it and enjoy it as much as we did!

If you are with that restaurant, there is a section here specifically for restaurant owners to post information in.  If you are really a customer, encourage the owners to use that resource.  I am told it really does generate business for the restaurants and bars that use it.

Five of us went to La Guadalupana on Wednesday, 1 March, and we all loved it, just as Cynthia (the OP) said.  Great food (mostly seafood and meat), great service.  Yes, it's in El Chante, Jocotepec, and i know you folks from Ajijic don't like to come this far, but for us who are westenders, this is a GREAT place.  

Anyone know the days and hours? If this place is where I think it is, it's a lovely site. I'd just hate to drive out there and find it's closed.

According to their Facebook page, they are open daily from 9am to 11pm.  However, Cynthia (the OP) says they are closed on Monday, so that may be so.  Google Restaurante La Guadalupana "My Friend" and you will see photos, etc.  

Visited la Guadalupana today. 

The good: great service and reasonable prices. The place is attractive.

The bad: Watch out for VERY picante sauces.

The restaurant had two people each at two tables.  Since the restaurant is huge the sound reverberated very loudly from the musician.  His voice was good and his playing good but we could barely hear each other to have a conversation and he was at least 20 feet from us.

The couple at the other table were very happy with their meals.  We however were not. 

We had very poor choices.  There was no chicken available though it was on the menu  so we both decided to order molcajete.  One was mar and the other tierra.  They were molcajete like we had never seen before.  Molcajete is usually like a stew with bite sized pieces of meat, vegetables or seafood mixed into melted cheese.  These pieces of meat, shrimp and onions were huge,  The cheese was almost none existent.  The sauce was so picante that my friend's ears actually turned red and she said she felt she was on fire.

Would I visit the restaurant again?  Maybe as it is a distance, but under no circumstance would I ever order the molcajete there again.  I love molcajete, just not theirs.

Two of us thought to try breakfast there yesterday. Arrived at restaurant at 9:20. Closed. Went on to Jocotepec to do errands. Went by the place at 10:20 and they were just opening. We ate at another restaurant. Apparently the opening time of 9 am is "soft".

T.

A common failing of many restaurants in this area: "soft" hours, lol. Expats expect to see hours honoured. I cannot speak for tapatios or folks from other large Mexican cities, but I would suspect these days, that they do as well. Throughout the rest of the country, in the small towns and villages, it's not so important. There is no expectation that the regular grind will continue to pump funds into the kitty. (Like so many workers around here, they do a job, get paid, and disappear for a week, regardless of our desires.) The Californian restaurant in Riberas is a good example: never quite know when he will open, but you can be sure he will close early, sometimes way early, if the place isn't busy. I don't think most locals really care. The places that are important to them are the roadside stands that serve breakfast... those hours are always kept. Unless someone is sick, or there is a family matter to attend to... in which case, the use of a hand-scrawled sign indicating same would never cross their minds. That's just life.

My favourite taco places open "sometime after dusk"...

We tried La Guadalupana today. A very nice looking place with good service and good food.They said they are open every day.

• 2 months later...

I went today (thursday) for lunch and ordered a sirloin. They brought me a thin cut small piece of some stiff and dry meat that looks like it was cooked on the microwave.... so disappointing! When I asked the waiter if it was really sirloin (250gr) or it was a mistake, they offered me to switch it for a t-bone instead and I agreed. This time the portion size was right, but it looked like they defrosted a pre cooked piece of meat (see picture attached). 

In conclusion, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there for meat... at least not during the week. Beside that, the service and the place are excellent, but it was my worse experience in a Mexican restaurant ever. 

20170601_161415.jpg

Archived