Chapala.com Webboard

New Higher TelMex/Infinitum Speeds

As I reflect on my own statement, I see how difficult this is going to be, unless pre-screening clients includes a requirement for Internet and speed. Because 98% of people don't ever check their speed, let alone know how to check, so how can they get that info to their agent, who certainly doesn't have time to go into everyone's house and do the test themselves. So saying "broadband Internet included" is about all that's ever going to happen.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/3/2017 at 8:45 PM, Sea said:

Another point, RedSwan, I don't know if it was made. You literally cannot buy a higher speed here. I pay for the $599 package and get 3MPS. That's all they can deliver in my area of South San Antonio. Buying a more expensive package will do nothing. Telmex reps have confirmed that.

Also speeds and connectivity suffer on weekends and holidays when people from Guad visit or someone else starts streaming. My understanding is that Telmex overloads the capacity of the DSL up to three times compared to the US.

Unless a realtor explains specifically what is different about the house or development, I'd assume that high speed only means broadband.

Sounds like the infrastructure needs a serious overhaul.
It's been my understanding in the past that cable broadband speeds are affected by how many people on the same "drop" are using the service, whereas DSL speeds are affected only by proximity (length of physical line) to the closest server hub.

If things are cobbled together it can be hard to know how many people are on your drop or how many twists and turns your phone lines are making between you and the DSL server.

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

As I reflect on my own statement, I see how difficult this is going to be, unless pre-screening clients includes a requirement for Internet and speed. Because 98% of people don't ever check their speed, let alone know how to check, so how can they get that info to their agent, who certainly doesn't have time to go into everyone's house and do the test themselves. So saying "broadband Internet included" is about all that's ever going to happen.

A woman can dream.

On 3/4/2017 at 9:42 AM, CHILLIN said:

Yes -this will change a lot of things here, especially for techno commuters. Still many big, empty houses here, with big yards. Some friends recently rented for one year, 2 bd, 2bath, for $600 U.S. per month - all in, everything (frac fees, CFE, telephone/internet, gardener, cleaner). The air is so clean here and very quiet - no distractions (unless you move near a self styled, dog sanctuary).

Wow --- that would be perfect! Except the dog sanctuary bit.

We have 2 basenjis, a barkless breed. I forget how barky "normal" dogs can be.

On 3/4/2017 at 9:42 AM, CHILLIN said:

Yes -this will change a lot of things here, especially for techno commuters. Still many big, empty houses here, with big yards. Some friends recently rented for one year, 2 bd, 2bath, for $600 U.S. per month - all in, everything (frac fees, CFE, telephone/internet, gardener, cleaner). The air is so clean here and very quiet - no distractions (unless you move near a self styled, dog sanctuary).

What is the best way to find info on houses for rent in that area? When I look at the online rental listings I rarely seen anything like you're describing for under $1k/mo

2 hours ago, RedSwan said:

Sounds like the infrastructure needs a serious overhaul.
It's been my understanding in the past that cable broadband speeds are affected by how many people on the same "drop" are using the service, whereas DSL speeds are affected only by proximity (length of physical line) to the closest server hub.

If things are cobbled together it can be hard to know how many people are on your drop or how many twists and turns your phone lines are making between you and the DSL server.

This is Mexico, so using words like "infrastructure" will only get you a big chuckle.

We had the $599 package with only a speed of 10 so we went to Telmex to complain.  Found out that 10 was all we could expect even if we had the $399 package so we drop to the $399 package and still have a speed of 10. Go figure!

3 hours ago, RedSwan said:

What is the best way to find info on houses for rent in that area? When I look at the online rental listings I rarely seen anything like you're describing for under $1k/mo

Yes, anything advertised is probably sitting around for a long time. The commissioned rental agents are usually paid the equivalent of one month rent if they land a year contract. It is mostly word of mouth finding the bargains. It may be a little different here in the hills, mostly suburban type properties, a few casitas. If you let these poorly constructed (but secure and safe) houses sit with no caretaker, they fall into disrepair very quickly. A tenant who offers to look after minor repairs is highly desirable here.

Basenjis huh - we raced, showed, and trained them for many years. Have been to many Evergreen Basenji Club events in Seattle. They are a wonderful breed, but remember they can be cunning escape artists if they set their mind to it. Contact us when you arrive. There is a hotel near here called Hotel Perico. They allow dogs, very nice people, usually quiet and safe. The people who have now rented a year used to stay there. There is a website, but here is the trip advisor report.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499405-d3608331-Reviews-Hotel_Perico-Ajijic.html

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, ComputerGuy said:

This is Mexico, so using words like "infrastructure" will only get you a big chuckle.

"Overhaul"  will get a guffaw.

I received a second email from TelMex saying that for the $999 plan, I can get up to 100 Mbps. I will call them on Monday and see if that is actually feasible in our area. I also did a test this morning using TelCel's data package on my phone, and got a 49Mbps reading. Amazing. Too bad it's so costly, because it is quite simple to "tether" your computer to your cell phone and use its much, much faster Internet (it's what I do on days when TelMex service has dropped off).

On 3/10/2017 at 0:16 PM, CHILLIN said:

Basenjis huh - we raced, showed, and trained them for many years. Have been to many Evergreen Basenji Club events in Seattle. They are a wonderful breed, but remember they can be cunning escape artists if they set their mind to it. Contact us when you arrive.

Oh how well I know of their sneaky ways!  I got my first basenji 15 years ago, but never got seriously involved in showing or competing until fairly recently. Right now we have two, a r/w 6yo female (Ch and just a few points away from GrCh) and a 1yo b/w son who is being shown by their breeder.

One thing I love about so many of the homes in the area is the solid walled yards. Do you still have basenjis?

1 hour ago, RedSwan said:

Oh how well I know of their sneaky ways!  I got my first basenji 15 years ago, but never got seriously involved in showing or competing until fairly recently. Right now we have two, a r/w 6yo female (Ch and just a few points away from GrCh) and a 1yo b/w son who is being shown by their breeder.

One thing I love about so many of the homes in the area is the solid walled yards. Do you still have basenjis?

The last one died of old age here, but well loved. She was 16.5 years old. Pretty old for a Basenji. We see that a lot here, people lose weight, get some colour on their skin, and live a lot longer than they ever expected.

Some of the confusion on rental prices here is because of the massive rise in the U.S. dollar. A couple years ago $600 U.S. was a common rental pricepoint, we always roughly calculated 10 pesos to the dollar or the equivalent in pesos. But if you had to convert every month, that became a lot of pesos -$600 U.S. became about 12,000 pesos, 20 pesos to the dollar - you can find some very fine rentals at that pricepoint. So the new pricepoint should be $300 U.S. per month - but few landlords are willing to take that cut. They also worry that the dollar will drop, which it is doing at this time. Most of the rentals here are actually illegal, so don't believe the hype.

(sorry if you are not interested in dogs. The mother of our last Basenji was quite a famous hound and we did a lot of work, and fun, to achieve that. She still stands as the most titled Basenji. Arubmec's Genuine Risk. American/Canadian field champion, American/Canadian AKC/CKC confirmation champion, Best in National Specialty show (Canada), Best in Multiple Breed Specialty show (all sighthounds, had to qualify on coursing to be eligible for the conformation. And also Canine Good Companion, some agility, but no titles.)

CG

Brisas de Chapala update. It is week three with the new modems.

On March 03/17 four neighbours reported to Telmex that our speeds were  very low. Within a few days ,three of us started

having speeds of 9.9,  10 and  11.  My speed is still low. I was told that by next Wednesday it should be fixed.

This morning my speed was  0.39  , at 6 pm it was  3.01 . It was never this high.  Now I am waiting for it to go up to 10.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, RedSwan said:

Online rentals for Ajijic, La Floresta, San Antonio and Riberas can be had from $400 up.  Google for "rentals Chapala".  (All these areas plus Chapala are in Municipio de Chapala.)  For Chapala one has to use word of mouth.  I would suggest getting established here first in an "OK" kinda place through the rental agencies then finding your "perfect" rental after you`ve been here, talked with folks, explored the different areas and see how things are. For instance, the area Chillin is talking about (Chapala Haciendas) is far from a town and buses are infrequent so without a car you`d be a bit "snowed in".

If you want rentals less than $500, most of those are in Chapala or Jocotepec.  For finding those, you have to know people in the area or, if you know Spanish or have a friend who does, walking around and asking in hair salons and other places of business  and noticing little handmade "renta" signs.  This takes time to accomplish.   The best time for finding rentals is April to June.  After that, most of the rentals have been rented.

16 hours ago, Azzurro said:

CG

Brisas de Chapala update. It is week three with the new modems.

On March 03/17 four neighbours reported to Telmex that our speeds were  very low. Within a few days ,three of us started

having speeds of 9.9,  10 and  11.  My speed is still low. I was told that by next Wednesday it should be fixed.

This morning my speed was  0.39  , at 6 pm it was  3.01 . It was never this high.  Now I am waiting for it to go up to 10.

In mid brisas and did notice an increase a couple weeks ago which averages 2.9mbs download.  Am paying the $399.  I hope to see better speeds.  Just glad to know I'm not the only one that am having issue.

Up-date

I reported to Telmex on March 3/17  that my wi.fi speed was very low .  I also called the 01 800 123 2222 to report the problem.

I had to make several calls ,but since   yesterday I finally have a wi.fi download speed of 9.99 /   9.86.

So, if you live in Brisas de Chapala and do not have the download  speed that you are paying for ,you have to report your problem.

Here's what I can tell everyone in Ch. Haciendas and Brisas, based on historical experience: the new modems often need to be reconfigured, by TelMex in Mexico City, to adapt to the new line signal. (Some modems will do this automatically upon connection; some won't.) It is quite possible that those who haven't seen an uptick since the new infrastructure went in are suffering from the latter, so calling the above-listed number is worth a shot.

It's happened in my own place before, too.

2 hours ago, RocketPossum said:

Riberas del Pilar, across from Iron Horse: 33 down, 8 up.

What level of service have you purchased and from which company?

Just got back from Telmex in Ajijic a few days ago.  I talk to a man every few months about any changes and chances of getting more than 10 down.  He says they have updated certain areas but most of us have to wait.  I can't really complain getting 10 down when I consider when I moved in three years ago I had one down.  I saw a ad for the future that showed 100 down for 999P. 50 and 30 I think were also on the ad. So hopefully someday we should get more modern speeds.  As far as Telecable/Izzi  goes I can't find anybody to return my call who knows anything so I consider them hopeless except for higher upload speeds compared to Telmex.  Right now Telmex is the future. I do have both internet services so my comments are from experience.  

Archived