Chapala.com Webboard

New Higher TelMex/Infinitum Speeds

Hi  CG . I just checked the signal streght, and this   popped up    Conexión de red inalámbrica 3. This is something new.

Is it posible that Telmex divided Brisas in 3 sections?

Today our speed   is  1.50 and 0.30. I guess I should be happy that we went  from 0.70 and 0.30   to this speed.!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gads, anything under 2.0 is kinda like the old dialup.

What you are seeing, though, is probably just your computer's attempt at "naming" the wireless network. Where did it pop up from... the connection icon, or somewhere else?

Nothing had changed for me on Lower La Floresta (Paseo de la Huerta between Revolution and Paseo de Lago). I have $599 package and still can't get 5. On weekends, I'm lucky is I get 2. last weekend, Netflix had a pop-up saying, slow bandwidth 0f 1.62 causing streaming to buffer.

56 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Gads, anything under 2.0 is kinda like the old dialup.

What you are seeing, though, is probably just your computer's attempt at "naming" the wireless network. Where did it pop up from... the connection icon, or somewhere else?

Actually under 2 is liveable, you have to run the high speed browsers. If you run windows, here is a list.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/list-of-25-alternative-browsers-for-windows

If linux, the only choice right now is Firefox.

Also a high quality WI-FI router.

Hi there from a recent lurker. I'm doing some due-diligence in preparation for a possible relocation. 

You guys are freaking me out a little bit. . . .when I see homes for sale or rent with "high speed internet" are they talking about downloads as low as 3 Mbps??

I rely heavily on the internet for work and while I don't expect the blazing speeds we have here, I figured I could get at least 40 Mbps based on what I saw on the Telmex site.

58b9b04790fa4_ScreenShot03-02-17at04_50PM.thumb.PNG.70cb84df72b1051e514412d3595610b8.PNG

2 hours ago, RedSwan said:

Hi there from a recent lurker. I'm doing some due-diligence in preparation for a possible relocation. 

You guys are freaking me out a little bit. . . .when I see homes for sale or rent with "high speed internet" are they talking about downloads as low as 3 Mbps??

I rely heavily on the internet for work and while I don't expect the blazing speeds we have here, I figured I could get at least 40 Mbps based on what I saw on the Telmex site.

58b9b04790fa4_ScreenShot03-02-17at04_50PM.thumb.PNG.70cb84df72b1051e514412d3595610b8.PNG

"High speed internet"  ........................... OK, had a good laugh with that. This ad is very amusing.  I`m sure it is providing a lot of levity for everyone at Lake Chapala.  I`ve lived in 4 different parts of the north shore of the Ribera - Riberas, Mirasol (far eastern edge of San Antonio), Ajijic and Chapala and never had internet speeds above 5mbps and mostly 1-3 mbps until moving to Chapala.  Here, I`m getting 10 mbps.  Telmex says their $600p / month package will give 20 but the rep said, forget it, I  won`t get above 10.  Computer Guy, the local computer wizard,  is dazzling us with his report of getting 40mbps with some kind of new setup or service.  He`s never said where he`s lived or, right now, there would be a large tent camp next to his house with a hundred feeder lines attached to his internet line.  No one I`ve ever heard of has ever seen speeds above 10 or, maybe rarely, 20.  But then, CG was always a joker (just kidding).

And then you have to talk about the down times. A day, 2 days, 3, after a good storm.

On the south shore, one is lucky to have internet at all.  Don`t know what speeds are in Guad.  Maybe someone else does?

1 hour ago, RedSwan said:

Hi there from a recent lurker. I'm doing some due-diligence in preparation for a possible relocation.  You guys are freaking me out a little bit. . . .when I see homes for sale or rent with "high speed internet" are they talking about downloads as low as 3 Mbps?? I rely heavily on the internet for work and while I don't expect the blazing speeds we have here, I figured I could get at least 40 Mbps based on what I saw on the Telmex site.

Real estate agents must learn to uncover what actual speeds are available when they say "high speed". This can be tricky, because often the sellers or renters don't know themselves.

The 40 you see in the ads was reserved for the larger cities in Mexico where the competition is stiff and the infrastructure is richer. Why I have been singled out with these great new high speeds is beyond me. It's certainly not because the local TelMex office likes me... quite the opposite. I'm just lucky. But through three locations in Riberas, moving two blocks east each time, my speed has remained steady or improved.

16 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Real estate agents must learn to uncover what actual speeds are available when they say "high speed". This can be tricky, because often the sellers or renters don't know themselves.

The 40 you see in the ads was reserved for the larger cities in Mexico where the competition is stiff and the infrastructure is richer. Why I have been singled out with these great new high speeds is beyond me. It's certainly not because the local TelMex office likes me... quite the opposite. I'm just lucky. But through three locations in Riberas, moving two blocks east each time, my speed has remained steady or improved.

Like I said, CG is a wizard.  He has this magic wand.  He`s never said where he got it. And he won`t wave it around anywhere but his own house. And he says he`s our friend.

RedSwan internet speed around here is highly location dependent so if it is critical to your living here you'll need to pay very close attention to conditions at any property you're considering.  CG is one of our local experts here so he'll correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that as a general rule, with some exceptions that the best chances for good internet are closer in.  For example, we get good speed reports from places Chapala and Ajijic centros.  He's reporting some good speeds in Riberas.

I doubt you can rely on RE agents for good advice in this matter, when a place is on your short list you'll probably have to do some investigating.  This group will be very helpful with that.

I do have a buddy around the corner from me who also relies very heavily on the internet for work.  He has both TelMex and TeleCable internet so that almost always one or the other is working well enough to support his work.

1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

Like I said, CG is a wizard.  He has this magic wand.  He`s never said where he got it. And he won`t wave it around anywhere but his own house. And he says he`s our friend.

If I had one, I would use it on everyone... no questions asked.

HI CG,

I just came back from Telmex. I explained what is going on with my down load speed and this is what I was told.

When they made the connections  to the new wires some mistakes were made, and the signal did not work as expexted.

They will reconnect the wires again.  7 - 10 days to do that. Also ,we should have mínimum download speed  5.

So, if you live in Brisas de Chapala, and have problems with your download speed ,report it to Telmex.

And then ,wait and see.

10 hours ago, RedSwan said:

Another point, RedSwan, I don't know if it was made. You literally cannot buy a higher speed here. I pay for the $599 package and get 3MPS. That's all they can deliver in my area of South San Antonio. Buying a more expensive package will do nothing. Telmex reps have confirmed that.

Also speeds and connectivity suffer on weekends and holidays when people from Guad visit or someone else starts streaming. My understanding is that Telmex overloads the capacity of the DSL up to three times compared to the US.

Unless a realtor explains specifically what is different about the house or development, I'd assume that high speed only means broadband.

It may not be applicable to this conversation because it's not Telmex or Cable but with ATT I'm able to consistently get cell-based speeds of 20 for download and 5+ for upload, which works well for video conferencing via Webex. My cost was $3,000MXN for three months @ 13 gigs per month. It would probably be less for a longer-term contract but I'm only here until the end of March. I use the wifi for regular surfing and Netflix and just use ATT for my work and so far it's been great. 

Live in San Antonio , pay $599 and get 4.5 to 5.5  download  most of the time-.   I do not quite understand it , but if I log onto my Pure VPN  I can get 14 to 17 mbps depending on the ISP I use in the U.K.   I used to log onto the VPN just to get foreign programming but now log on all the time and seem to get the high speed even for local internet 

Congrats: looks like TelMex is coming through for Brisas and Ch. Haciendas. This will change everything for the dozens of people I know in those areas who have been suffering for years, trying to determine if their computer or their Internet is the cause of their email and assorted problems.

10 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Congrats: looks like TelMex is coming through for Brisas and Ch. Haciendas. This will change everything for the dozens of people I know in those areas who have been suffering for years, trying to determine if their computer or their Internet is the cause of their email and assorted problems.

Yes -this will change a lot of things here, especially for techno commuters. Still many big, empty houses here, with big yards. Some friends recently rented for one year, 2 bd, 2bath, for $600 U.S. per month - all in, everything (frac fees, CFE, telephone/internet, gardener, cleaner). The air is so clean here and very quiet - no distractions (unless you move near a self styled, dog sanctuary).

On 3/3/2017 at 11:52 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Real estate agents must learn to uncover what actual speeds are available when they say "high speed".

It would be great if they included an Ookla screenshot or somesuch, but that's clearly not the case.

I could live with 10 Mbps without too much trouble, I think. Down to 5 would probably be manageable. Below that would require some pretty major adjustment.

This makes me wonder:   Are their co-working spaces or office-shares in the Ajijic/Chapala/SJC area?

Archived