Chapala.com Webboard

New Higher TelMex/Infinitum Speeds

Anyone get the email from TelMex overnight that says speeds of up to 40 Mbps are now available? I tested, and sure enough:

NOTE: the message specifically states this is for the $599 package.

Speedtest.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be interested in collecting data from those who see a speed increase this week. You can check at speedtest.net for a full take, or at fast.com for a quick peek at just the DL speed.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the Telmex locations receiving  the highest and lowest speeds? In the days of T-1 service  and the beginnings of DSL the distance to the central office called the POP or point of presence dictated max speeds.  Signal deteriorated on copper lines as it traveled from the POP, perhaps now called  the DSLAM, to the endpoint. The closer to them POP the better the possible speed. This just doeesn't seem to be the case any longer.

Are there multiple DSLAMs in the area? If there is one at the main Ajijic office then those closest  should be able to receive the highest speeds. That doesn't seem to be the case based on posts. Riberas seems to have the most bandwidth. Why would that be the case?

11 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Is there any rhyme or reason to the Telmex locations receiving  the highest and lowest speeds? In the days of T-1 service  and the beginnings of DSL the distance to the central office called the POP or point of presence dictated max speeds.  Signal deteriorated on copper lines as it traveled from the POP, perhaps now called  the DSLAM, to the endpoint. The closer to them POP the better the possible speed. This just doeesn't seem to be the case any longer.

Are there multiple DSLAMs in the area? If there is one at the main Ajijic office then those closest  should be able to receive the highest speeds. That doesn't seem to be the case based on posts. Riberas seems to have the most bandwidth. Why would that be the case?

Good questions, and I have no answers. Your information is basically correct. Perhaps because the actual technical office for TelMex is in San Antonio on the way up the street to the Little Theatre.

However good my new speed looks, though, it's having difficulty being reflected in my download speeds... .

I'm also going to guess that the message was directed, so that only those subscribers who a: have ever signed up for MiTelmex would be getting them, and b: only subscribers who can actually get those speeds, based on geolocation, will see the notice.

I live in upper Western Ajijic, above Las Salvias and according to Telmex, 1,080 meters from my DSLAM card or from their office where I am connected to the internet. I am presently paying $389 and according to the settings in my Thomson Modem, my speed is set at

(ascendente/descendente) [kbps/kbps]:638 / 12.542 and when I do a speedtest I get the following, via a cable connection to my laptop

6097429258.png

I went to the Ajijic Telmex office and showed the agent a copy of the link you shared with us and said (exaggerated) that my neighbor just received this and could I upgrade to the $599 package and also get a faster speed of anywhere near 40 mbps. She checked on line and said no that ten was as fast as I could get and that those higher speeds were in Chapala Hacienda.

Was she correct about Chapala Hacienda? I thought the speeds were increased somewhere else in the Chapala area

I have 599 package and saw new speeds and called as I was only getting 10.  Guy said new speeds dont apply to my package and fastest is 20, I said give me 20 and he said best not to go too high to interency issues but bumped me up to 19megabits and then a day later the service stopped. 

I was in both Ch. Haciendas and Brisas today, and no one has an improvement yet that I can tell... certainly not the ones I was able to test, and their neighbours concur. So information is already wrong coming out of the TelMex office. As you know, those boneheads don't know or care diddly. Just maybe the ones in Mexico City have a better handle on it, but they would get that knowledge from dealing directly with customers, as their higher-ups don't tell them much of anything either.

I have to laugh out loud: warning you to not go too high because of interference issues? Talk about down-selling your own product. With a BS sandwich.

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Anyone get the email from TelMex overnight that says speeds of up to 40 Mbps are now available? I tested, and sure enough:

NOTE: the message specifically states this is for the $599 package.

CG, you get this speed and you live in Riberas?

Archived