Chapala.com Webboard

Union libre

cedros

I am looking at Registro Civil records for the early 1900s. They mention the father and mother and they say union libre. What do you think union libre means in this case? Sometimes they say estado civil. I wonder if the former means what we would call now common law. Looking at more estado civil seems to apply to most-maybe it means free to marry.

Union libre has  some   parts that are equivalent to Common Law in US terms.**

Union libre status is formally & legally recognized (including in the Immigration law - see Concubinos), so, it's more than just  'living together'.  

There are specific legal rights & responsibilities under 'union libre',  that are not necessarily part of US common law practices nor part of 'living together' :

**RIGHTS: PENSION POR VIUDEZ,      DISPOSICIÓN DE DINERO DEL AFORE.    DISPOSICIÓN DEL SALDO EN LA TARJETA DE DÉBITO O CUENTA DE AHORRO,    DISPOSICIÓN DEL MONTO DE SEGURO DE VIDA.

**RESPONSIBILITIES:  CANCELAR ADEUDOS EN TARJETAS DE CRÉDITO,  CANCELACIÓN DE ADEUDOS DE CRÉDITO HIPOTECARIO,  DAR AVISO DE FALLECIMIENTO,      DISPOSICIÓN DE DINERO DEL AFORE.   DISPOSICIÓN DEL SALDO EN LA TARJETA DE DÉBITO O CUENTA DE AHORRO,  DISPOSICIÓN DEL MONTO DE SEGURO DE VIDA,  

On 2/9/2017 at 10:34 AM, cedros said:

I am looking at Registro Civil records for the early 1900s. They mention the father and mother and they say union libre. What do you think union libre means in this case? Sometimes they say estado civil. I wonder if the former means what we would call now common law. Looking at more estado civil seems to apply to most-maybe it means free to marry.

"Estado civil" means your relationship status--single, married, divorced, common law relationship, etc, regardless of your gender.  "Unión libre" means that you are in a common law relationship.  Mexico's Supreme Court has recognized unión libre as a legal estado civil since 2008.

On 2/19/2017 at 6:20 PM, cedros said:

Looking at another record for the same couple it says "union libre (casado)". I'm confused.

That doesn't make sense to me, either.  Could it be that it says estado civil (casado)?

It probably means that they are married, by their own agreement and free choice, and are living together and are recognized as husband and wife.  

Mexico has religious marriages, which are not recognized legal.  The couple usually has a second, civil ceremony, performed by a judge, which is recognized by the government as a legal marriage. 

Archived