Chapala.com Webboard

Rotary Club of Ajijic Valentine's Day Art Auction

Dr.Santiago

Rotary Club of Ajijic will be holding it's 3rd annual Art Auction this Saturday Feb. 11th at the HOTEL TAPATIO in Tlaquepaque. We are asking the local artist community for donations of their various works of art for our auction. The proceeds from this event will support our local projects such as OPERATION SMILE & LOVE IN ACTION etc. In exchange you'd be a VIP guest at our event. It's a great way to get your work shown and gain local notoriety. I would also extend a free office visit whenever needed for the next year at CHAPALA MED. Please write me at chapalamed@gmail.com for more information. Thanks in advance.

12800124_962292277139664_8289607767142205586_n.jpg

11 hours ago, Dr.Santiago said:

Rotary Club of Ajijic will be holding it's 3rd annual Art Auction this Saturday Feb. 11th at the HOTEL TAPATIO in Tlaquepaque. We are asking the local artist community for donations of their various works of art for our auction. The proceeds from this event will support our local projects such as OPERATION SMILE & LOVE IN ACTION etc. In exchange you'd be a VIP guest at our event. It's a great way to get your work shown and gain local notoriety. I would also extend a free office visit whenever needed for the next year at CHAPALA MED. Please write me at chapalamed@gmail.com for more information. Thanks in advance.

12800124_962292277139664_8289607767142205586_n.jpg

I applaud your good intentions, but asking the people who are lucky to make enough from their art to buy the needed materials..... to give away their art is not appropriate, in my opinion. At least half of the proceeds from the sale of the art work should be returned to the artists themselves.  In addition, "art auctions" tend bring lower prices than the artists normally sell for, and it devalues the publics' perception  of what the art is worth.

Those who believe in the work done by those particular organizations can make donations of money to them.

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

Well said, gringal!  

Art auctions can devalue what the art is worth.  But, on the other hand, it does create exposure for the artist, especially if they are new in the area.  So it's kind of a double-edged sword for the artist.  

Exposure is greatly over rated in an area where there is a art organization of 150 members, a Painters Guild, a yearly Open Studios coming up soon, plus the Sunday monthly Plaza shows and at least two yearly shows in the Cultural Center featuring Ajijic Society of the Arts, in addition to the Painters' Guild shows.  The exposure of an art auction like this is usually humiating for the artist at the low prices it brings.

For expats, it is a matter of  selling their work at far lower prices they were used to NOB, since many fine Mexican artists sell their work for much less. They do it for the love of it, but asking them to give it away is just not appropriate.  Are doctors, lawyers or gardeners being asked to give away their services? 

New artists are welcome to attend the first Monday of the month meetings of ASA given at La Bodega restaurant at 10 am.  Attendance requires no initial commitment, and if an artist wishes to join, the yearly dues are only 200 pesos.  All are welcome: professionals, amateurs, those with an interest in art and any member of the public.  Our Open Studios ticket sales helps to support the Childrens Art Program at LCS which is free to all children of the area. That is our charity.

Those artists who can afford to donate to the causes being promoted can do so, in cash, and save themselves the embarrassment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 10:57 AM, gringal said:

Exposure is greatly over rated in an area where there is a art organization of 150 members, a Painters Guild, a yearly Open Studios coming up soon, plus the Sunday monthly Plaza shows and at least two yearly shows in the Cultural Center featuring Ajijic Society of the Arts, in addition to the Painters' Guild shows.  The exposure of an art auction like this is usually humiating for the artist at the low prices it brings.

For expats, it is a matter of  selling their work at far lower prices they were used to NOB, since many fine Mexican artists sell their work for much less. They do it for the love of it, but asking them to give it away is just not appropriate.  Are doctors, lawyers or gardeners being asked to give away their services? 

New artists are welcome to attend the first Monday of the month meetings of ASA given at La Bodega restaurant at 10 am.  Attendance requires no initial commitment, and if an artist wishes to join, the yearly dues are only 200 pesos.  All are welcome: professionals, amateurs, those with an interest in art and any member of the public.  Our Open Studios ticket sales helps to support the Childrens Art Program at LCS which is free to all children of the area. That is our charity.

Those artists who can afford to donate to the causes being promoted can do so, in cash, and save themselves the embarrassment.

I am sorry that you feel this way but I am very happy that there were various artists who did DONATE their work (in part or 100%).  in the U.S. and many other parts of the world, there are artists who donate or "GIVE AWAY" their works of art.  As a doctor I have been asked approached to see patients at the TEPEHUA community center and the students who belong to the PATHWAYS program, FREE OF CHARGE.  I call it volunteering my time and I never considered it "GIVING MY SERVICES AWAY".  I practice the art of medicine. I too am an EXPAT and do work for far lower honoraries that I was used to NOB so I too should feel embarrassed when asked to provide free care to poor  patients or time to worthy causes.  Truth is, I feel proud to help in any way I can to worthy causes and never embarrassed.  

I can assure you that the artists who donated their works (present or not) at our ROTARY CLUB FUNDRAISER were shown great appreciation and IMHO showed no signs of being embarrassed. Lots of smiles and goodwill were demonstrated for our organization who's only purpose is to serve the community through our projects. 

I guess we can just agree that we disagree in our point of view when it comes  this topic.  Thanks for sharing your point of view.  Best wishes. 

Archived