Chapala.com Webboard

Nursing services

HarryB

The term Nurses is used differently here than in the US.  A nurse aide ( who may not have any formal education is called a nurse.) There are programs that will give certificates for nurse aides . Still called nurses. Then there is the second level of formally educated persons called General nurses. ( usually educated in places like Guad  about 2yrs. .) Finally you have the college educated LICENSED nurses.( usually 4-5 yrs of college education .

If someone needs a care giver, they should find out what education and experience they have. If one needs just shopping , cooking and maybe hygiene, this isn't too much of an issue. If one needs more assistance like injections, ambulation etc. or even how to relate to someone with dementia then you need to check the skill level and experience.   I have heard directly someone say the vet told me how to give an injection to my dog.  Really not someone you want giving you insulin.  Things are very different here so use some caution.

USA registered nurse and professor

• Like 4

Just a note about private care. I am very familiar with assisted living and full care here.  Nurse assistants are hesitant to work at nursing homes if they think the pay is too low, but some need that experience to find agency work.  The biggest problem with home care is that it isn't steady. People get better, leave the country, go into a nursing care facility or pass away so they don't have work unless someone recommends them or they hear of a need. Often the care giver will have to work a second job.  The lucky ones get to work for an agency such as Lydia's.

• 2 years later...
On 1/28/2017 at 2:18 PM, HarryB said:

A class of nurses has recently graduated. PM me if you are interested in their services and I will put you in contact with their english speaking profesora

Hi 

I was interested in studying to be a nurse here in Guadalajara Chapala mexico. I wanted to learn more information about the services. Please let me know where I can find more information or contact someone. 

Thanks,

Maya Garcia 

I think Harry is talking about Sicuranzza Nursing School in Guadalajara.  Can't get their website to link but they also have a Facebook page. This is registered school which uses LCS facilities on Sundays from 9-2 for classes and recently held a graduation ceremony at LCS.

• 2 years later...

What previous posts states are true. I myself went to one of those schools. It was a hoot. I loved it. Only me and one other were the only guys. At first I thought I was in over my head. The Doctor spoke English so was helpful after class plus, every lady I sat next to were a big help. i.e. when I looked lost I got a polite elbow in my ribs and directed to the correct page. Everyone in my class treated me so well and helped all they could. Even though I was the only gringo there. I stood out in a funny way. I was treated like a human being nothing special or nothing less. 

What you learn is first aid and CPR. The first chapter teaches us we are not Doctors not paramedic just treat the person till the real professionals arrived. You learn to inject, bandage wounds, IVs etc. Plus part of passing the class you have spend time working for a Clinic or the Res Cross. 

Now caring for an elderly is in the DNA of Mexican people. So you learn the basics which is good. For me just being around 30 or so wonderful caring, loving people was an experience I would not trade. 

To some it up if you need a caregiver please consider on of these people.

IMG_0714.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
22 hours ago, Annabelle Flores said:

To retired RN Jreboll. Are you able to make 3 home visits to one client this Wednesday Thursday and Friday in San Nicolas de ibarra? Three hours each day? Needing help with oral meds and eye drops

Contact Mari Guzman at Chapala Medical Supply and Home Health Care. 331 197 6375