Chapala.com Webboard

Need up to date info on Hairdressers

Arjay

This subject crops up on a fairly regular basis but the info I found was rather out of date.

I'm searching for a good hairdresser in Ajijic, who speaks pretty good English and who will cut my hair the way I ask them to.

My hair is short, fine and naturally curly, so if it's not cut properly, I'm almost reduced to tears (figuratively, anyway) - there's few things worse in the hair kingdom than having to wait a year or so for a bad cut to grow out.  Been there many times.

Thanks.

I share your feelings. When curly hair not cut correctly, you want to go into hiding.

I am glad you mentioned curly. There many good hair dressers here , and people will recommend them and they are good with more simple cuts, really not so skilled with with curly hair.

One might ask also for a good colorist. Highlights sometimes look like big chunks of colored hair.   Not talking about the colors red, green, purple etc.  Actually look kind of cute  .

I will never understand why so many hair stylists simply cannot do a proper haircut on curly hair; something I've struggled with my whole life. Just last week I went to a very highly recommended gentleman to get my short curly hair cut. I share your pain as it is the worst haircut I've ever had. It's SO short that the curl is non-existent, and one side is at least a 1/4 inch different than the other. I will try Susannah's next time as I've heard good things about her. 

11 hours ago, artsnob said:

I go to Susannahs on Guadalupe Victoria and Galiana in Ajijic,  I have curly hair, and she is the best I have ever had, I have been going to her for 6 years

Thank you - with great fear and trepidation I will give her a try. :rolleyes:

You think that cutting short, curly hair is bad?  Try short, straight as a board, fine hair.  If the hairdressers makes a mistake on that, there is absolutely no way to hide it.  At least with curls, it can hide the uneven ends!

I've found that Christine (in the Centro Laguna mall) has understood my hair perfectly.  She told me that the best way to cut straight, fine hair is a dry cut.  That way, the hairdresser can see exactly where everything wants to naturally fall.  I recommend her completely!   http://www.christines.mx/index.html

I have short, fine, naturally curly hair which I also color. I am very pleased with Dario, owner of Weekend Beauty Salon, located on Ocampo in Ajijic, about a block east of Danza del Sol Hotel. About a year and a half ago, I made the mistake of going to someone else to save some pesos. I went to another guy for several cuts and several colors. The third color was a disaster. When I returned to Dario, he asked me if I had cut my own hair, which I never do! Every time I leave Dario's salon, my hair looks great. His assistants Esmeralda and Mónica are both very helpful and pleasant. It's worth the extra $$.

Dario is and has been a good hair cutter, no doubt. But there is always an air of moody discomfort in that place; a feeling of haughty distance which always makes me uncomfortable. JJ on the other hand communicates easily, readily with more up-to-the-minute cutting technique. No moody barrier here.

kbleitch:  so glad you are having a good experience with Dario.  About a year ago I went to him because he was so highly recommended.  I told him that I wanted to get the red out of my hair and I had not been able to find anyone that could accomplish that for some reason.  When Dario thought he was finished that day I had bright orange/red hair.  He proceeded to "tone down" the color and told me he didn't have time to do anything else that day ... to come back the next day and he would fix it.  I went back the next day and he proceeded to fry my hair and then charged me an additional $550.00 pesos for his trouble.  I also experienced in those two visits the same atmosphere that tzevi (above) speaks about.  I then went to JJ with what was left of my hair and he was able to at least fix the color so that I was not embarrassed to walk out the door.  It took almost a year for the fried, over processed hair to grow completely out.  By the way, my natural hair is light brown/dark blond ... no reason for the red except that many hair dressers do not know how to use color so mine just kept becoming more red over time.

Re moody at Weekend, Can't put my finger on it but you can cut it with a knife. I am very sensitive to my environment and immediately feel the tension. Does he want to cut today or doesn't he? I put up with it because I get the cut I want. In earlier times, one of those girls shoved a magazine under his nose to share the laughter as he was cutting my hair. I was so incensed by the rudeness that I swivelled the chair around to stare at her for her ignorance. On account of that must be elephant memory carried over. Another time I arrived for my appointment and he told me right at the doorstep he had no time for me. Coming from Chapala only for that appt. no one could call me? Can't explain it but there is a wall of resentment. Could be ego. Could be insecurity.

This has turned out to be a very informative post.  I went to Dario years ago and have a long memory.  He spent nearly the whole time with his cell phone resting on his shoulder conducting some obviously very important business.  I was so pissed that I eventually said something to him.  Not surprisingly, the end result was a crappy haircut (again).

Never again !!   I am so gun shy that I end up cutting my own hair.  I figure I can mess up my own hair just as easily as some hairdressers do and at a cheaper price.

I went to Suzannahs  and am pleased with the cut and color. The only thing is you have to be patient because even though she speaks English,( the only one) our terminology isn't always the same. So it took some  time explaining what I wanted.

Now for the first wash and trying to make it look this good.

Archived