Chapala.com Webboard

Need new patio cushions made - looking for recommendations

Arjay

We just had some made up recently with Sunbrella. If you're on Facebook, look up Omar de la Fuente. He's in Guad, but will come to your house here as he has quite a few clients in this area. Excellent work and great fabric choices (some of which are more economical than others.) there's a 5-year warrant on the Sunbrella fabric.

I have had cushions made locally, and am very satisfied with them.

However, I would recommend Cadillac Furniture (Oscar de la Fuente) because of his promptness and good customer service.

I just don't think I want to wait 6 weeks and have to constantly ask if things are finished. That seems to be the situation with upholsterers these days. 

Cadillac Furniture 331-605-3810. Fluent English if that is important to you. Nice guy. 

Do beware of fake "Sunbrella". Some upholsterers in Mexico do try to pass it off as the real thing, or maybe they just don't know the difference. Whereas real Sunbrella is made by a patented process, which repels moisture, mold, stains, and doesn't fade, as well as being cleanable with almost anything (you can even remove stains with acetone), the fake stuff fades and molds. It has a shinier texture and feels polyester-ish. The real stuff has a texture like a densely woven cotton (although it is 100%acrylic), and isn't shiny.

Also many people do not know that you should never put Sunbrella in the dryer- high heat destroys the above properties. Can be machine washed in cold, cool water, no problem, then hang to dry. Dries fast, cause it doesn't really absorb water.

Archived