Chapala.com Webboard

Motorcycle intentionally run over

jarmen01

My husband was just intentionally hit on his motorcycle by a man in a metallic green Range Rover or Land Rover with Minnesota plates.   This happened in Piedra Barrenada at approximately 12:45 PM.  Vialidad and I believe every motorcyclist on the lake are looking for this man.  Any help in identifying him is appreciated.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jarmen01 said:

My husband was just intentionally hit on his motorcycle by a man in a metallic green Range Rover or Land Rover with Minnesota plates.   This happened in Piedra Barrenada at approximately 12:45 PM.  Vialidad and I believe every motorcyclist on the lake are looking for this man.  Any help in identifying him is appreciated.

I will get someone from a local moto club with 25 members to post it on their club page on facebook which should reach another few hundred that ride down here from time to time.

2 hours ago, jarmen01 said:

He accelerated to rear end him.

I'm so sorry that this happened to your husband, but the driver of the vehicle MAY have accelerated because he wasn't paying attention, had some medical issue, or the sun was in his eyes and he didn't see the motorcycle.  We shouldn't jump to conclusions until we have all the facts.

I'm glad that your husband wasn't seriously injured.  I hope that other moto riders and / or clubs don't become vigilantes and get themselves in trouble.

As a former motorcycle rider, I  am glad your husband is OK.  

At Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes, they explain how many car drivers simply don't 'see' motorcycles.  It's amazing the number of left turns made by cars, into the path of oncoming motorcycles that have the right of way.  

It is possible the driver of the car was accelerating, looking beyond your husband, to the car in front of him.  

Not excusing the act, but it's possible it was not in any way intentional.  

Thanks all for your kind words.  He is going to report it to the Ministerio tonight.  Right now he is kicking himself for not calling immediately, not getting a photo, and all of the other shoulda, woulda, couldas.  Shock I guess.  Peace, and remember, always wear your gear!  Somebody is waiting for you at home.

Glad your husband is OK and I don't want to hijack your thread. But one thing Moto riders do that could get them killed and me in jail is veering into the shoulder to avoid topes. I have to make a left turn to get home and there are 2 lanes of traffic I must yield to. Topes 100 meters away so is easy to gauge when it is safe. You get halfway safely through the turn and a Moto passes everyone on the right and doesn't need to slow for the topes. I suspect nobody will believe I am not the one at fault.

22 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Glad your husband is OK and I don't want to hijack your thread. But one thing Moto riders do that could get them killed and me in jail is veering into the shoulder to avoid topes. I have to make a left turn to get home and there are 2 lanes of traffic I must yield to. Topes 100 meters away so is easy to gauge when it is safe. You get halfway safely through the turn and a Moto passes everyone on the right and doesn't need to slow for the topes. I suspect nobody will believe I am not the one at fault.

So sorry this happened to your husband and no insinuation intended that he wasn't operating his moto properly. But I do agree with pappy'smarket- the vast majority of moto operators in Mexico seem to be under the impression that traffic laws do not apply to them. I can't count the number of times I have been the first car stopped at a red light on a divided highway with 20 cars waiting behind me, when some moto wiggles himself between the two lanes of traffic up to in front of me and halfway into the intersection so he will be first through the light. And a couple of times I've almost had a head-on collision with some kid on a moto coming around a blind curve on a village street on the wrong side of the street. Sans helmet, of course.

It is illegal to pass on the right, it is perfectly legal for motorcycles to "wiggle" between lanes.  My husband was wearing a helmet.  The other instances you mentioned are not applicable in this situation.  Thanks for the kind wishes.

7 hours ago, jarmen01 said:

It is illegal to pass on the right, it is perfectly legal for motorcycles to "wiggle" between lanes.  My husband was wearing a helmet.  The other instances you mentioned are not applicable in this situation.  Thanks for the kind wishes.

Where does it say that it is perfectly legal to wiggle beteween lanes? I thought motocycles had to follow the same laws as cars.

8 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Many Mexicans don't have insurance or even a license for that matter, if they get in to an accident ...they run... 

This apparently wasn't a Mexican.  Haven't seen too many Range Rover chocolates with Minnesota plates around here lately.

If this guy is smart, he's headed for the border or already out of the country.  That car stands out big time around here.

How much damage to the bike?

18 hours ago, jarmen01 said:

What is the colour of your husband's moto in case there are marks on the perps front end? It is on face book now and that further info would be helpful.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.  We are ONLY looking to identify this man.  Ministerio, not vialidad as I originally posted have the report, guess I was a little worked up when I first posted.  Our next step is to contact the American Consulate.  I am not sure what they can do but, we want everything done legally.  My husband, who is a Mexican,has his motorcycle, license and always wears his gear, thank goodness.  His motorcycle is blue although, most of the damage was to the chrome on the motorcycle.  The damage would be to the passenger side of the perpetrator's vehicle.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

This apparently wasn't a Mexican.  Haven't seen too many Range Rover chocolates with Minnesota plates around here lately.

If this guy is smart, he's headed for the border or already out of the country.  That car stands out big time around here.

How much damage to the bike?

I hope he likes the weather in Minnesota this time of year.  :D

Archived