Chapala.com Webboard

Consulate warning: Avoid gas stations for 2 days

Sea

The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara, 3 p.m. email:

The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara would like to inform U.S. citizens that information is available on social media, allegedly originating from a transnational criminal organization, that they will conduct attacks on gas stations in the state of Jalisco beginning at 10:00 pm tonight, December 30.  While these threats are unconfirmed, the Regional Security Office at the Consulate has advised Consulate employees to avoid using gas stations from 10:00 pm tonight through 8:00 am, December 31.  American citizens should be aware of their surroundings if they intend to visit gas stations during this time and monitor local media for additional information.

A friend of mine said the social media warnings were from gas stations who wanted people to wait until the higher price is in effect to buy gas. That article you posted is very convincing though.

I'm staying out of the interpretation business. I'm only passing on the Consulate warning. :)

11 minutes ago, suegarn said:

This warning is a hoax.  There was no official warning from the consulate.  Please verify these things before panicking!

I got an email from the US Consulate today. Came from 

acsgdlmessages@state.gov

Security Message for U.S. Citizens:  Transnational Criminal Organization Threats To Attack Jalisco Gas Stations

The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara would like to inform U.S. citizens that information is available on social media, allegedly originating from a transnational criminal organization, that they will conduct attacks on gas stations in the state of Jalisco beginning at 10:00 pm tonight, December 30.  While these threats are unconfirmed, the Regional Security Office at the Consulate has advised Consulate employees to avoid using gas stations from 10:00 pm tonight through 8:00 am, December 31.  American citizens should be aware of their surroundings if they intend to visit gas stations during this time and monitor local media for additional information.

For further information:

•             See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mexico

•             Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

•             Contact the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara, located at Progreso 175, Americana, Guadalajara, Jalisco 44160, during business hours Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 011-52-33-3268-2100 or via email at acsgdl@state.gov .

•             You may also call 011-52-55-5080-2000 after-hours.

•             Contact information for the Embassy and other U.S. Consulates General in Mexico can be found on the U.S. Embassy Mexico City website.  

•             Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

•             Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Ditto on the warning from the consulate. Their warning is clearly is not a hoax. Also, I'm not panicking. Just passing along a possible problem.

The consulate's job is to prepare us for possibilities. Their email specified "allegedly originating from a transnational criminal organization", note "allegedly".

Warning not a hoax....but, just be careful. I have all 6 of my vehicles full and a few 20 liters containers full just in case. However much ado about nothing. I am the type which feels it is better to be prepared than not. Let me mention I am not a pepper but, I do have a large pantry.  Pepper's are crazy right?

I'm thinking since I heard this long before the consulate posted anything, I wouldn't be too quick to assume that any "deadline" has passed. These are cartels, not school-teachers (oh, wait, that may be a bad comparison...). Who said they have to live up to their announcements?

If indeed it was some cartel making an announcement... no one really knows. The consulate heard about it and passed it on after that everyone decides what they want to do.. You cannot stop living because there is a rumor that there will be some attack on the gas stations.. What are people to do ? Stop buying gas??

Archived